Textured Vegetable Protein (T.V.P.) A.K.A. Soya Mince

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I didnt have time for the Adzukis that night as I needed get up the next morning.

The TVP was certainly better that quorn. I would be more than happy to eat it ehile out an about and it would be VERY convenient to carry even for an extended time.

I certainly couldn't swap it out for meat in my day to day as it was more a carrier for flavours rather than an equal partner as meat is.

I have in mind a TVP, dried Mushroom, dried onion trail Risotto.

I am also an omnivore & for me its just another vegetable that has similar characteristics to meat as apposed to a meat substitute I am dieting at present so as tvp is protein & fiber it's excellent for weight loss

TVP, dried Mushroom, dried onion trail Risotto add courgette, tomato powder & dehydrated potato cut small dehydrated Heinz beans that sounds good

courgette? can they be dehydrated , potatoes no prob, heinz beans wash off the sauce also no prob trued them

also TVP un refridgerated will not spoil as quick as meat. oh here's a neat little trick you might like?

Right a GI style water bottle cover, the type that is furry on the inside, yea, with me so far? the purpose of the fur is to hold water so that when soaked as the cover dries out It keeps what ever is inside cool through evaporation, it makes a neat little Diy fridge to carry breakfast leftovers in carry cooked food a zip-lock bag for use at dinner time.

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I have found when trying to get umami flavour into vegetarian options, onions, garlic and mushrooms are your friends.
Well cooked onions that have been fried properly have a lot of similar sugars/flavours to cooked meats. Garlic also helps round out flavours as do mushrooms (mushrooms also great for texture).
I have made chilli can't carne before now with soya mince and you'd be hard pushed to know it lacked beef.
I think it helps if you can get a lot of their flavours in to help disguise missing meat flavour and can can trick the eyes making it look the same as a meat dish.
Plus adding cheese is always good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I admit I rarely use either tvp or quorn for mince. I simply grate up mushrooms. They work very well on the big grater side. That shredded stuff just gets fried as I would brown meat, and is seasoned and used as the mince. Big pack of big mushrooms in Lidl's is a pound….makes enough mince for tacos, tortillas, or just mince and tatties, peas and carrots :D

M

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I have found when trying to get umami flavour into vegetarian options, onions, garlic and mushrooms are your friends.

Well who knew "Umami" is actually a word... one of your five basic tastes... Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter and Umami

I have to say though in a whole life time I don't ever recollect anybody ever using it as an adjective related to taste:~
"is this Parmesan, still in date? it tastes a bit umami to me" " mmmm I can really taste the Umami in this green tea" "Has any body tried walkers tomato crisps there absolutely Umami"

Umami is my new favorite flavour I'm going to use it as an ingredient & put it in all my recipes. & is worth 9 points in Scrabble

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I admit I rarely use either tvp or quorn for mince. I simply grate up mushrooms. They work very well on the big grater side. That shredded stuff just gets fried as I would brown meat, and is seasoned and used as the mince. Big pack of big mushrooms in Lidl's is a pound….makes enough mince for tacos, tortillas, or just mince and tatties, peas and carrots :D

M

If i'm adding nice fresh mushrooms to a recipe, I'm lazy & like to just crumble the mushrooms by hand when they are fresh they crumble real easy.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Try a herb called Lovage for a nice "meaty' flavour.
Dries well so can easily be used year round.

Umami? Heard about it, no clue what the taste buds are supposed to tell me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's basically a natural form of msg….you can boil up a seaweed and obtain the unami flavour, though vegans and vegetarians can also obtain that kind of taste from yeast products….I use nutritional yeast flakes. It's sometimes used to replace the cheese in cheeseless recipes too.

M

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Try a herb called Lovage for a nice "meaty' flavour.
Dries well so can easily be used year round.

It's basically a natural form of msg….you can boil up a seaweed and obtain the unami flavour, though vegans and vegetarians can also obtain that kind of taste from yeast products….I use nutritional yeast flakes. It's sometimes used to replace the cheese in cheeseless recipes too.

M

Janne, I'm not familiar with lovage, but if Wikipedia is to be believed Its flavour and smell is somewhat similar to celery. which I can't tolerate the taste of, this is also the case for coriander & sage for me.

Mary, I have tried the nori seaweed in various forms like sushi & crisps etc. it didn't think it unpleasant just a little weird,

I tend to avoid yeast or food containing yeast as I think it gives me terrible gas & bloating & seems to give me an insatiable appetite & as for Marmite eeeuch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE