Backwoods Huevos Rancheros

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Backwoods Huevos Rancheros

This dish was inspired by the lions eggs advert a few years ago but modified for backwoods/the stuff from my dehydrator and makes a great fast breakfast.

It starts when I dry peppers and onions. I start by skinning Red, Green, Orange, Yellow peppers and red onions then slicing in half (e.g. demi circles of veg.) then drying them either in a dehydrator (mine is one of those cheapo QVC one) or the oven.

I then in mix about 2 or 3 part of these mixed pepper mix with 1 part of the red onions and keep them in a sealed zip lock bag till I need them.

In the field I dehydrate the mix in water. It needs about 20 mins. but I usually leave them over knight in a billy.

Next I squeeze out the pepper/onion mix preserving the liquor (see later, to see if you do ). In a mess tin and a little fat or oil fry the peppers and onion until your liking and season to taste. Remember that they are already ‘cooked’ and if you have been watching have been watching, Heston Blumenthal : in Search of perfection you know that you never cook in an oven than gets hotter than a dehydrator unless you are cooking pizza 24 hours at 50C for a steak, how mad it that!

Make a hole in the middle for the egg. You can us a reconstituted powdered egg if you really, really have to but it is far better with a fresh egg. Anyway I have got one of those ‘armoured’ plastic egg boxes (if I can find small enough eggs to fit it) so I crack the egg and plop it into hole and fry it till cooked how you like it.

I normally eat it straight from the mess tin.

Now I know that you are all asking, what am I going to do with the peppery onioney liquor. Well I must admit that that the most times that I have decided to start this recipe for the morning is at night and at home when I am one over the eight and slightly chemically inconvenienced. On one such morning after the night before I got it into my head that I needed a ‘pick-me-up’ and I have never been able to take a Prairie Oyster so what I did was heat up the liquor and with some water and spoon in a teaspoon Marmite/Bovril for a ‘beefy’, peppery hot drink! In the great out doors I just carry those small individual pots that you get it places like express by holiday inn’s and some how end up in your pocket after breakfast

P.S. Tony if you evey want to add a recipe corner to the mag feel free to add any of of yours truly on here or SotP.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE