Textured Vegetable Protein (T.V.P.) A.K.A. Soya Mince

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Does anybody else use dehydrated Soya Mince (T.V.P.) ?
& does anybody else get mildly annoyed at the "soya dust" that is always included with the larger mince like pieces in a packet of dehydrated Soya Mince?

I always some how feel cheated as this dust that is ultimately always mixed with the more usable mince like pieces not to put too fine a point on it, this usually equates to at least a 1/4 of weight of the Soya mince in the packet.

Oh just me then?

I was rocking one of my own resipies' today

Old Elpaso Cowboy Beanz

1} 2 small onion finely chopped, 1 level teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning, fry in 1 level teaspoon rapeseed oil & a little water till soft & water is gone.
In a pot Add 1 tray cherry tomatoes peeled & chopped in ¼ s to 1 level teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning, 1 packet Santa Maria seasoning, mix for tacos original (Mild), add a little water
2 bird eye chilies finely chopped add the cooked onions & 5 tablespoon Soya mince cook for 5 minutes
2} Drain & rinse 1 tin Old Elpaso black beans Allow all other ingredients to go cold & mix with the beans,

Garnish with a little grated mozzarella cheese, & serve with lettuce & cumber, in the Old Elpaso whole wheat wraps!

When I had a eureka moment...

I have the answer... put the soya mince in a "appropriately sized sieve" & sieve out the dust

& for anyone daft enough to ask :~ For example, if the particle size of a material is described as -4 +40 mesh, then 90% or more of the material will pass through a 4-mesh sieve (particles smaller than 4.76 mm) and be retained by a 40-mesh sieve (particles larger than 0.420 mm). If a material is described as -40 mesh, then 90% or more of the material will pass through a 40-mesh sieve (particles smaller than 0.420 mm).

& further more the soya dust its not even worthy of a mention on the ingredients list on packaging that the dehydrated Soya Mince comes in, cheeky twats. Being Scottish I like to get my moneys worth....

so "Dusty Protein Veggie Burgers for hungry campers" were born

just add 1 raw egg & 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil

(Dehydrated), Pre~prepared & packed in a Zip lock bag @ home

@ home add 1 level Teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning & 3 heep tablespoons dry Soya Dust, 1 Tablespoon Great Scott dried onion flakes & 1 whole bird eye chilly to a zip lock bag

Ready to cook

1} Remove the bird eye chilly from zip lock bag & add the contents of zip lock to a bowl Crack 1 Raw egg & 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil into the bowl & mix well, next finely chop the bird eye chilly into the bowl mix again & let stand for 5 Minutes or so mixing periodically.
2} Spoon the mixture into a well rapeseed oiled frying pan shape like 1/2 wrap shaped burger, Fry & flip till cooked
Serve in a whole-wheat wrap with Mayonnaise & salad greens

Does anybody else have any dehydrated Soya recipes suggestions suitable for Hungry campers?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was just about to say, "Use it to make burgers, they're very good :)", and you neatly did a recipe :cool:

Gluten free flour sticks them together too for the vegans.
Your's sound a touch fiery for me, but I can see them appealling to those with volcanic proof gullets :D

M

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Gluten free flour sticks them together too for the vegans.
Your's sound a touch fiery for me, but I can see them appealing to those with volcanic proof gullets :D

M

Thanks M, the fiery is easily removed simply leave out the bird eye chili... good tip bout the vegan friendly version

Vegan friendly Dust burgers for Sissies!

just add 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil & 3 tablespoons water

@ home add Gluten free flour (enough to stick them together) & 1 level Teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning & 3 Heep tablespoons dry Soya Dust, 1 Tablespoon Great Scott dried onion flakes & 1 bird eye chilly to a zip lock bag

Ready to cook

1} Carefully remove the bird eye chilly from zip lock bag & fling it away. Add the contents of zip lock to a bowl add 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil into the bowl & mix well, & let stand for 5 Minutes or so mixing periodically.
2} Spoon the mixture into a well rapeseed oiled frying pan shape like 1/2 wrap shaped burger, Fry & flip till cooked
Serve in a whole-wheat wrap with vegan friendly Mayonnaise & salad greens.

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Although I do like T.V.P. I am also partial to eat D.V.P. (dead Vegetarian protein) not so keen on the idea of eating Vegans, I have never tried one But I imagine they would be a bit tasteless.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Thanks M, the fiery is easily removed simply leave out the bird eye chili... good tip bout the vegan friendly version

Vegan friendly Dust burgers for Sissies!

just add 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil

@ home add Gluten free flour (enough to stick them together) & 1 level Teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning & 3 Heep tablespoons dry Soya Dust, 1 Tablespoon Great Scott dried onion flakes & 1 bird eye chilly to a zip lock bag

Ready to cook

1} Carefully remove the bird eye chilly from zip lock bag & fling it away. Add the contents of zip lock to a bowl add 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil into the bowl & mix well, & let stand for 5 Minutes or so mixing periodically.
Serve in a whole-wheat wrap with vegan friendly Mayonnaise & salad greens.

you might be wanting to add some water in the cooking stage ;) the gluten free flower wont stick it together on its own, at the moment the recipe says to just fry some oil, powder and chilly in a pan! It's a complicated life being a vegan!

Thanks for the recipes though, I've never tried TVP before and prefer carrying ingredients over ready made stuff so i'll be sure to get some give them a go!!

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Well, you can make a meat substitute out of lentils or out of wheat gluten. TVP is soy, and personally, I avoid soy as much as possible.

The Mormons call homemade gluten meat substitute 'wheat meat' and the French call it Seitan.

Gluten may mess with some people, but for most of us there isn't a problem. Soy harms everyone. While on paper it is loaded with protein, soy is also loaded with phytates which strip your body of essential minerals. It is also high in plant estrogen.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
you might be wanting to add some water in the cooking stage ;) the gluten free flower wont stick it together on its own, at the moment the recipe says to just fry some oil, powder and chilly in a pan! It's a complicated life being a vegan!

Thanks for the recipes though, I've never tried TVP before and prefer carrying ingredients over ready made stuff so i'll be sure to get some give them a go!!

DOH!... Yea good point Forest girl thanks!

Mary never mentioned water she just said

Gluten free flour sticks them together too for the vegans.:D

M

I got loads more camp cooking recipes,

so as I have removed the egg to make it vegan friendly how much water would be equal to one eggs' worth do you recon?
cos the soya dust is going to be a bit thirsty with out it's egg?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
About three tablespoonful.

Good on you with the recipes :D Crack on :D

I disagree about the soya Mrostov. It's good food, just don't make it your only food :)

M

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Does this stuff lack pleasurable taste and texture as much as Quorn?

No! I have to say in MHO soya Mince totally trumphs Quorn, soya Mince is actually pretty tasteless & has pretty much the same texture as beef mince without the gristle or fat & soya Mince is loaded with protein & High in fiber so pretty much trumphs commercially produced animal based mince too & because it is totally dry it intelligently poly-morphs drinks up & takes on what ever flavour you add to it eg. fried onions juice from tomatoes water salt taco seasoning un like Quorn mince in MHO is the wrong texture too spongy, & has its own unique flavour & doesn't drink up new flavour as good as soya Mince some soya mince has flavour added it can taste a bit boggin I use "GRANOSE soya mince" no added anything

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granose-S...925535?hash=item234f38005f:g:oNsAAOSwymxVMSUP

I get mine in Salisbury's £1 for 100g it does go a long way cos its dry so it's light (PS. dust burgers are a real thing) different packaging to the link & cheaper to.

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Well, you can make a meat substitute out of lentils or out of wheat gluten. TVP is soy, and personally, I avoid soy as much as possible.

The Mormons call homemade gluten meat substitute 'wheat meat' and the French call it Seitan.

Gluten may mess with some people, but for most of us there isn't a problem. Soy harms everyone. While on paper it is loaded with protein, soy is also loaded with phytates which strip your body of essential minerals. It is also high in plant estrogen.

high in plant estrogen. Seriously I did not know that! Ya dancer! I'm going to grow my own breasts, I will never have to go out at the weekend again, just buy some wee sexy bras, stay home & play with my breasts all weekend.... YAY!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
About three tablespoonful.

Good on you with the recipes :D Crack on :D

I disagree about the soya Mrostov. It's good food, just don't make it your only food :)

M

thanks Mary, I have to agree with Mary about soya also, I am on a weight loss diet & since I gave up all processed food (loaded with sugar & additives) I have way more energy, & I eat loads of soya, not for the taste of meat, but for the texture of meat, & for fiber & protein, I think its better for me than commercially processed animal based mince meat that is loaded with fat & gristle. I am not vegetarian or vegan, & I still enjoy a nice Tenderloin Filet steak (Filet Mignon) I also eat chicken & turkey.

Last edited:

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Well, I was suitably intrigued so I popped to Tesco and bought some, along with some dry Adzuki beans. They might make an acceptable meal with some soup powder and a packet of quick rice.

I will report my findings.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
It's a complicated life being a vegan!

Just noticed forest girl, That the Granose soya mince is vegan Approved too!

34138793311_bc719b2396_z.jpg

cowboy beans with soya mince

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Well, I was suitably intrigued so I popped to Tesco and bought some, along with some dry Adzuki beans. They might make an acceptable meal with some soup powder and a packet of quick rice.

I will report my findings.

Does tesco sell the "Granose soya mince"? or did you get another brand? I've just started sprouting aduzki beans for the first time been eating them all last week at work with salad greens in my wraps. Adzuki beans would work well with my recipe.
Keep us posted & if you think its any good share it with us...

soya will drink up around 1 table spoon liquid per 1 heaped tablespoon dried soya

I was just doing A photo in the kitchen of my cowboy beans (my packing for work all day tomorrow) My Fussy thirteen year old boy cane in the kitchen I asked if he would like to try my creation He declined At First saying it looked like black beetles then he tried it & he declared mmmm it tastes better than it looks, is that that stuff pointing to the soya mince....
still got a handful of sprouts left if there still ok I will finnish them off tomorrow in my wraps...

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Great post Alan!👍
I'll be definetely trying your recipe , i might have to try that soya mince after all...

Keep those recipes coming brother, it's a good idea!
My boy is a fish eating veggie , by his own decision , we all eat meat...
but we respect and are committed to his decision for the reasons he gave .
And we have discovered nice dishes in the process .

I've always been reluctant on soya , because the environmental impact soya and other monocultures, have on the soil and also the reasons mentioned before ,but I've decided to try that Tortured Veggie Protein . Sounds good to me!
And the dust burgers?!
Brilliant! No waste.

It's not just the Scots that like to get their money's worth.

Thank you for all the tips already .

keep 'em coming

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I've always been reluctant on soya , because the environmental impact soya and other monocultures do the soil and also the mineral depletion of the body .

And the dust burgers?!
Brilliant!

cheers Leshy. it was just started as a bit of a laugh cos I was board.... I could do a recipe thread.

Dust burgers? I liked that name too as suggested by vale todoguy ....
Turns out they are actually better than the ones I made with actual soya mince... I had to sieve 200g to get enough dust to make (1 dust burger 3 table spoons soya dust)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE