Tesco pot belly stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Just a heads up, been in Tesco Hindley and they are selling the small cast iron pot belly stove / BBQ for only £15.
I have used one of these and they are prety good, versatile bit of kit so I purchased one straight off
At that price it would be rude not to. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

I've used one of these for about 8 years - great as a barbeque, off-ground fire pot, semi transportable etc. The only bit that is left in working ordernow is the top grille which I use on another cooking system - it have never been under cover and has weathered the Welsh liquid sunshire remarkably well.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I got one of these off the local scrap mans pick up! gave him the drum from our old washing machine ( stripped out to use as a giant hobo) in exchange.

Kind of wish I'd kept the drum now, as the cast iron legs on the pot belly are very fragile!

They're okay but only for using in the garden or maybe if you're car camping ( with a thought for the cast iron's fragility). I'd never consider them for canoe camping for example.

cheers

R.B.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
They do a fold up BBQ in ASDA at the moment, saw it the other day. That may be easier to transport than a cast iron one

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ahhhh, a BBQ, had one a few years ago and dropped it at which point it broke so they are fun but be careful. IIRC they are self assembly so fold down quite small. Thats a good price I paid a lot more than that.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Just a heads up, been in Tesco Hindley and they are selling the small cast iron pot belly stove / BBQ for only £15.
I have used one of these and they are prety good, versatile bit of kit so I purchased one straight off
At that price it would be rude not to. :)
you tryin to push your shares up??? carry on my shares are still valid!!

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
We've been using one of these since about '94 for canoe/car camping. I filed out appropriate holes to accept the square sections of coach bolts with wing nuts to make it easy to take apart when packing in the canoe. Good value for the money and a very useful bit of kit!

It spends most of its life sat outside in the garden and I have to replace the coach bolt/wing nuts every year or so. The internal grate has now broken, but gave ten or so years of good service. Similarly, the piece which holds the little door in place broke a couple of years ago. I can't complain though, it's had years of me abusing it.

We've suffered a lot of grief from the gram weeners when canoeing, but strangely they always want to sit around it and ask to cook over it.

We have scorched grass underneath it, but then we've also stoked it up so much it's glowed red in places.

Al

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Whenever I see these things it makes me realise what a completely bonkers world we live in. Scrap iron has been collected in the UK, stuck in a boat and taken off to China, huge quantities of energy (dirty coal powered) melted the stuff and cast it, packed up in a printed box that would cost a couple of quid if I wanted one made, shipped back to the UK, distributed round the depots and to the stores then sold retail for £15. I don't understand how it works, whether we are buying Chinese stuff cheap by adding to our debt or what but there is no way it is sustainable.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i'm sheltered, delicate and of a nervous disposition, still don't know what "gram Weeners " are though. ( it won't offend me will it 'cos i get upset really easy and when i'm upset the voices come through louder and i can't seem to be able to stop them )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE