Tenth Wonder Hammock - rap ring/snake skin mods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 23, 2013
Coventry
Hi all - new to this forum.

I have a tenth wonder Green Hornet, and looking at modding it with rap rings and climbing rope. Also looking at a snake skin, but don't want the hassle of removing the bug net stands.

Just wondered whether anyone has successfully made these mods, and whether anyone has used a DD snake skin to cover a TW hammock

Also.....has anyone used a Snugpak underquilt with one & do they fit ok?

Gaz

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
I have a tenth wonder Green Hornet, and looking at modding it with rap rings and climbing rope. Also looking at a snake skin, but don't want the hassle of removing the bug net stands.

Just wondered whether anyone has successfully made these mods, and whether anyone has used a DD snake skin to cover a TW hammoc
Gaz

I have the 1.8 meter wide hornet and the dd snake skin fits fine, I just take out the mozzy net support bars.

Reference mods, I've used 30cm climbing "quick draw" straps where you have the cord cited from standard, I attach the quick draw ends with two carabiners daisy chained and attach these to an ENO Atlas straps. The two carabiners at each end act as a drip line for when it rains and a neat place to clip my ruck sack and jacket to!

Real neat set up and not a single knot is needed ;0)

Luke

Sep 23, 2013
Coventry
Cheers guys. Does the DD skin cover the tarp too, or just the hammock? Do you find the skin much better?

I'll take a look at that Luke. Using tree huggers & double carabiners, but difficult to tension sometimes.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Cheers guys. Does the DD skin cover the tarp too, or just the hammock? Do you find the skin much better?

I'll take a look at that Luke. Using tree huggers & double carabiners, but difficult to tension sometimes.

I use a bishop bag for my tarp. Wouldn't want to bundle a wet tarp with a dry hammock.

Have you heard about whoopie slings?

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I use rap rings,but with polyester webbing straps rather than climbing rope. IIRC climbing rope is nylon and so stretches a great deal, which is not ideal for hammock suspension. Polyester or Polypropylene is better and not expensive..
Here's a really good video of the technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc

I used polyester tie down straps rated 1400lbs (about 650 kilos) and rap rings from the local outdoor store. Works a treat.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
The snugpak underquilt works with the TW green hornet perfectly as for packing my hammock I just use a 3ltr drysack, the mozzie net spreaders are never removed its just folded in half and rolled up along with all webbing straps, drip rings etc. It fits great and there's still plenty of room.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk

I have a skin for each so as not to get the hammock wet when packing, adjusting the taughtness of the hammock is easy with the ENO atlas straps, google it, the atlas DO NOT stretch it's just the standard one that does.

Also the quick draws are dynema cored so again zero stretch, I'd know as I'm over 16 stone without kit loaded on to it lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE