underquilt and top quilt (snugpak or uk hammocks)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I have used the Snugpak in October and November last year and January and February this year and I havent been cold. You do need to make sure you have plenty of tension in the shock cords down each side to eliminate any gaps at the ends. I use it with a Vango four season sleeping bag which I usually have three-quarters unzipped as a topquilt. During the February windageddon camp I zipped it up and was toasty warm.

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
What's the deal with "overfill" when it comes to down? I would assume an UQ would be filled with the optimal amount of down to begin with? Does it really get any warmer by stuffing more down into it?

MongooseDownUnder

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I'm currently also very keen on the Snugpak underquilt for which I placed an order with OutdoorGB the other day and they have since emailed me and told me it will be 60 pounds to ship so is it really that big or are they just trying to rip me off and make a few extra bucks on shipping?

cheers

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It's not massive, but shipping Internationally I can tell you that that won't be far off what they are being charged. It's an accurate postage charge. Don't forget your order will be VAT free.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Köld;1501283 said:
What's the deal with "overfill" when it comes to down? I would assume an UQ would be filled with the optimal amount of down to begin with? Does it really get any warmer by stuffing more down into it?

Most of the cottage industry quilts are overstuffed by 20% anyway, without it, the quilts quickly look and feel a bit flat. Adding 30% gives a lot more resistance to moisture and it'll give a little more loft to boot. I find it a big bonus on longer trips or in the damp, well worth it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm currently also very keen on the Snugpak underquilt for which I placed an order with OutdoorGB the other day and they have since emailed me and told me it will be 60 pounds to ship so is it really that big or are they just trying to rip me off and make a few extra bucks on shipping?

cheers

There's an Oz member on here by the name of Lepmeister, nice bloke and knows his stuff about hammocks. Maybe give him a shout and see if he has any pointers for you.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've had my snugpack under/overquilt down to -10 (with an extra woollen blanket though) and I was fine and toasty.
For the packing/compressability I use a dry bag with an air vent, and the quilts, hammock, mossie net et al go inside.
I tie the hammock to a tree, and walk it out of the sack, then connect the other side.
Packing is in reverse order,
When it's all in the bag, I squash the air out, and it reduces significantly in volume, but remains malleable, so it conforms exactly to whichever pack I'm using without dead space, taking up significantly less space.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE