underquilt and top quilt (snugpak or uk hammocks)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi, i made a post the other day but there seems to be an issue with it (i cant access it), if it sorts out maybe admin can just delete the old one? :)

I was hoping folk who have seen/used these products may chime in and steer my decision, just to make sure i ain't putting too much trust in the sales pitch etc.

Basically i am looking at either:
Snugpak (softie premier) underquilt and blanket, or uk hammocks (down) winter underquilt and top quilt.

Snugpak quilts are rated to -12C, the uk hammocks winter quilts are rated to -15C. I use my hammock often, and want to continue through winter whether in rain/snow for 1-4 night trips, some of these nights will be under a tarp in a bivvi with [likely damp] dogs. Can anyone vouch for either product in these scenarios? (esp curious about the snugpak going below freezing, down in a bivvi and longevity of insulation of both).

Also can anybody please send me a pic of these items compressed if you have them please? Maybe next to something with a standardised volume like a 2L bottle, it will help me decide if the space saving is worth the cost for me.

My current 300gsm diy quilts, combined, pack to iro 25cmx50cm, weigh between 4-5kg and are cold maybe iro 5C (they get nippy just before ground frost forms). I know i will save weight with either option and space with the down option. I don't know whether i will save space or be any warmer with the snugpak than with my diy quilts.

I'm leaning toward snugpak based on cost and the safeguard when wet; providing it offers me both a moderate space saving and extra warmth over what i have now, which tbh should not be hard.. If getting wet in down is less of an issue with modern down (not sure what uk hammocks use) and the space saving is jaw droppingly insane, then i might have to also reconsider as they are supposedly good for their -15C rating.

Either way it needs to be something that will get me through winter reliably.

Of course if anyone has these items for sale used in GC before early october do get in touch.

Any input appreciated :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Snugpak is slightly bulkier than then UKHammocks winter quilt and almost twice as heavy from memory. I used the Snugpak for a few years and really rated it, others have tried it and haven't been as convinced. I took mine down to -9 and stayed toasty with an Elite 4 bag on top.

I use Mats winter quilt now as I wanted to lose some bulk and weight, I got mine with 100g overfill so it copes with UK winters no bother.

Snugpak

UKH with overfill

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
Just bought the UKH Winter UQ with 100g extra fill. Not the cheapest option out there but i didn't want to buy a lesser quality UQ then to find out it's not up to the task then have to upgrade. Not sure if that helps?

Frosty11

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2013
County Durham
Just bought the UKH Winter UQ with 100g extra fill. Not the cheapest option out there but i didn't want to buy a lesser quality UQ then to find out it's not up to the task then have to upgrade. Not sure if that helps?

More and more people are saying this, but it's always good to try first. If you're buying from a reputable company then you can return it for a full refund and then try the next one up, simples.

I've chosen the snugpak mainly based on cost, but also good reviews. If it doesn't achieve what it says on the tin then I'll move on up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
@shewie: Thanks for the info and photo's, sounds like the snugpak should cover any temps i am likely to encounter.

I will admit i am torn on it the more i read, i was looking at this one from uk hammock's: http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/ar...eF7RIQesSjb49k0K&shop_param=cid=4&aid=6.-001&

I would have to buy the UQ first and make do with my 300gsm TQ for a while if i bought this new, so initially it's the heavier and colder option than the snugpak combo and could be so until after december for cost reasons. If the snugpak combo ain't that big, or rather is smaller than what i have, then it makes for a really difficult choice tbh... I could always get the snugpak gear for the initial size/weight/warmth bonus and retire it as 'guest' gear next year when i plan a hammock upgrade if it's not too big.

If i wasn't so last minute it would be a clear choice really, save money long term and get the down gear a piece at a time; unless of course there is need to worry about getting it wet. Lets face it, in the uk it can be pretty miserable, wind driven rain, thick fog, snow/frost, and i will be doing at least one random 4 day trip a year where i may have to go to ground with the dogs. It might not be a problem with the pertex lining on the UK quilts, especially when inside a moisture/fire resistant bivvi and a foil survival bag? But this is the UK, when it rains, it rains.. Definitely torn.

Another thing, the snugpak cocoon's, can they be bought still?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Don't make the same mistake I did pal and that was to buy the snugpak because it's cheaper!!

It's ok, but very bulky and heavy!!

Save up and for for the uk hammocks winter UQ, I have the top quilt too and like them both very much!!

Been down to minus 13 with my top quilt no bother at all.

Cheers
Steve

Frosty11

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2013
County Durham
Don't make the same mistake I did pal and that was to buy the snugpak because it's cheaper!!

It's ok, but very bulky and heavy!!

Save up and for for the uk hammocks winter UQ, I have the top quilt too and like them both very much!!

Been down to minus 13 with my top quilt no bother at all.

Cheers
Steve

I must admit Jacko that I didn't pay attention to the weight difference between the two, but now I see the UK UQ is around 500g lighter. Will have to try both out and see. Cheers bud :thumbup:

"Lt. Dan..... you got new legs!"

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
i have wrote replies but it would seem you are going to need to wait days for them to post..my posts keep doing this unless i make short posts. what is with the delays on this forum?

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
basically cheers for the replies and info all! i am starting to sway. i am worried about down getting wet if i go to ground or get fogged up. Seen reports of down losing loft from sweat/condensation/dew nevermind fog. i really don't see this as a small thing and all it takes is a damp night and your carrying ore than that 0.5kg in water vapor.. but the bulk....

mereside, i would give US stuff more serious thought if not for the excessive duty the US charge us.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
My snug pack uq turned up today I'll try it tomorrow and let you know. I use the sf2 bag and tbh it's absolutely brilliant up until last week so bought the uq I'm hoping it will be more than good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Frosty11

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2013
County Durham

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love my snugpak UB. I know they are a bit bulkier and heavier but find them more robust. Mine has had a small repair due to a tear, if it had been down it could have been a disaster.
When packing I stuff my sleepingbag and UQ into a drybag at the bottom of my Bergen and not in a compression bag, this way it fills out all the corners of the pack and not waste any space.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've considering a Snugpak UQ for a while now, still can't make up my mind whether to just pay the extra and get a UKH one.

One question about the UKH down ones; Do they leak feathers? All the down sleeping bags I've had experience with seem to shed feathers pretty quickly...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When I got mine I attached all of the bungies to the crab at the end of my hammock (tenth wonder black double hornet)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE