Telemark History Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Part 1- Planning and Preparation

Following on from Twodogs' Solo expedition last year to Norway,

http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6615

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46500&highlight=

and his tales around the campfire , it was provisionally suggested for a trip later on in 2010.

norwaymap.jpg

Twodogs' and myself have decided to get nostalgic and head off on a budget trip to the Telemark region of Norway and throw in a load of wild camping whilst we are there.

orienttooslo.jpg

The aim of the trip is to take in the scenery, test out our equipment and skill sets and a load of wild camping.

The 8 day itinerary is:

1. To travel through the Telemark Region and the Hardanger plateau

telemark.jpg

http://www.turistforeningen.no/english/location.php?fo_id=3980&lo_id=NO_harda

Rjukan cable car web cam

http://www.krossobanen.no/webcampage.htm

2. From the Plateau, slowly work our way down to the Hydro Electric Plant that is now the Norwegian Industrial Workers Museum famous for the production of heavy water in the 1940s this was distroyed in a daring raid by the heros of the Telemark .

http://www.visitvemork.com/dnn/Default.aspx?alias=www.visitvemork.com/dnn/en

http://www.hydro.com/en/About-Hydro/Our-history/1929---1945/1943-The-Heroes-of-Telemark/

All this for the measly budget price of £200 all in per person. Not bad eh?

£70 Return flight from Liverpool to Oslo
£100 estimated Return internal train and bus fares
£30 Travel insurance

An initial kit check and weigh in was done today, Tues 1 June . Luckily Twodogs has the use of a School Hall and we made great use of it.

kitcheck.jpg

Due to Ryan Air's weight restrictions being 15 Kg hold luggage and 10 Kg carry-on, we have cut back as much as we can without forgetting this is a holiday and comfort is still high on the agenda.

cliffu.jpg

martinxg.jpg

It was so much easier to see what we had individually packed for the duration and we then set to work being brutal, removing any unnecessary doubling up and cutting out on items not required.

If you have any questions on items of kit in the pics, ask away.

Total weight of kits:

MartinK9 - 18.5kg Including Food

martinswithfood2.jpg

martinswithfood.jpg

Twodogs - 15.5 kg No food included

cliffsnofood2.jpg

cliffsnofood.jpg

Kit layout:

Twodogs:

cliff001.jpg

cliff002.jpg

cliff003.jpg

MartinK9:

martin001.jpg

martin002.jpg

martin003.jpg

Food Requirements

Due to us going off grid, and cost of food in Norway, it was decided to take all our food with us for a 6 day period. It consists of the best of several Nations Military rations including:

Brit Army boil in the bag
Brit Army Arctic Rations
Norwegian Army 5,000 Calorie Rations
Dutch Army Extreme Cold Weather Rations

rations6daysx2.jpg

As mentioned above, the total for 6 days rations is 3.5 kgs per person

rationsbagged35kg.jpg

At present this is where we are at, just the Kroner to get and then wait out for the flight with Ryan Air out of Liverpool in August.

Hopefully these threads can inspire some people to get out and give it a go, with Google Earth, the internet and webcams to assist it really is as simple as it sounds.

The itinerary, kit carry and ration choices above are ours, and work for us, some may or may not agree with our choices, that is down to you.

Keep tuned in for when we get back.

Cheers,

Martin aka MartinK9 and Cliff aka Twodogs

Last edited:
Wow that's some pretty impressive organisation! I'm doing a two week trip to Norway in July, but that's a hut based family holiday, although I will probably bunk off with the hammock for the odd night.
Have a great trip, if you're going to the moot would be great to hook up and swap Norway info.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds superb lads, Norway is one place I really need to visit.

How are you travelling about on the plateau then, is this a winter skiing trip ?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Have a good trip lads, the type of thing id loved to do,im also keen on Military history.Cant wait to see pics when you get back.

Can't wait myself Andy :D

Wow that's some pretty impressive organisation! I'm doing a two week trip to Norway in July, but that's a hut based family holiday, although I will probably bunk off with the hammock for the odd night.
Have a great trip, if you're going to the moot would be great to hook up and swap Norway info.

David, no sorry not going to the Moot, too close to the actual trip I'm afraid. Hope you have a great Trip too. :)

Sounds superb lads, Norway is one place I really need to visit.

How are you travelling about on the plateau then, is this a winter skiing trip ?

Shank's Pony, we'll know more about weather conditions and any kit adjustments required closer to the date. :)

This site we'll definitely be looking at:

http://www.krossobanen.no/webcampage.htm

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Your gonna have a great time. That's one area I'd love to visit after reading the books on the subject. Take plenty of pics and don't lose your knife.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Excellent. Just excellent.

Twodogs has much to answer for with his solo Norway trip - it was also the inspiration for my recent trip to Finnish Lapland.

Good luck guys, and we look forward to seeing the pics.

And to anyone else thinking on similar lines - seize the day! Ryanair fly cheap to Scandinavia. Scandinavian countries have lots of wild country, and a decent public transport system. Getting there is far easier and cheaper than you might think.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Hardangervidda is aweinspiring, I am itching to get back there some time.

Telemark is beautiful.

You have to buy some heavy water from the power station that got bombed in the 'Heroes of Telemark' film, they sell it in small glass bottles.

I didn't get any, deeming it too expensive but I wish I had done-it would be a great souvenir.

Good luck on your trip-I am literally green with envy. :approve:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You have to buy some heavy water from the power station that got bombed in the 'Heroes of Telemark' film, they sell it in small glass bottles.

I didn't get any, deeming it too expensive but I wish I had done-it would be a great souvenir.

Someone gave me one of these last year. It certainly would be the perfect momento.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Someone gave me one of these last year. It certainly would be the perfect momento.

I can feel a group buy coming on, postage might be a bit heavy though :rolleyes:

:sulkoff: Getting coat

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Sounds like a top trip fellas. Good luck and looking forward to the story.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE