Teflon Crusader Mugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I have been using my teflon crusader for approx 2 years now and have been very happy with it. However, I have been recently informed that there is a health hazard attached to using these mugs for cooking, if they get to hot. Apparentley teflon can give off toxic fumes if overheated on an open fire and can contaminate your food.

Has anybody else heard of this problem? If so, I may decide to purchase a stainless steel version, although the teflon version is convenient because it's dead easy to clean.

Let me know!

Nick

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i have heard of this problem. A quick search on google will bring up loads of info on the subject. I personally use a dutch army uncoated SS version. But that primairly because of the price... If you cook water in the cup, the temperature won't go higher than 100celcius up to the water level.

Hi. I find that very strange. Saucepan manufacturers have been using it for years. It's widely used in the catering industry and there has never been any health warnings about it. there was the same thing went about regarding aluminium not all that long ago. you are probably more likely to get food posining eating wild food than you are from getting posioned by heating teflon.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
When I was doing my engineering apprenticeship many, many years ago, I was warned of the dire consequences of smoking while machining P.T.F.E (teflon).
Apparently the temperature of a cigarette, when inhaling, is sufficient to cause the material to break down and give of nasty gasses (techical term) I don't think cooking utensils get that hot. Something in the back of my mind says 350 deg C, but I could be mistaken about that.
Personally I use a sooty stainless one.

Dave

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
Bought mine from the old Survival AIDS shop at Euston Station in the late eighties. Been using it ever since, both military and civil. Not much coating left and can't say as I've ever noticed any fumes, mind its hard to notice anything above the hexamine.

Mark

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
so why, in our modern world of health and saftey paranoia, have non stick coated items not got a warning on?

look on any (literally any)item bought in the last ten years and you will find instructions, possible alergy info, comments hotlines, and allsorts of H+S waffle.

seems strange such a "life threatening" subject has been ignored?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE