Teddy Tours - Thorns Gill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Friday morning was fine and sunny so I set off, but by Settle it was getting dark and by Horton in Ribblesdale
it was slinging it down and by Ribblehead it was turning to snow but by Gearstones it was back sunny again.
Walked along the Bridalway to an ancient stone footbridge spanning Thorns Gill, soon to be the infant River Ribble.
ThornsGillbridge.jpg

looking up stream from on the bridge you can see a swirl hole full of small boulders which as they vortex round and round
in the current drill ever deeper ( see posts 5 and 7 in http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47311 )
swirlboulders.jpg

looking downstream from the bridge
ThornsGilldownstream.jpg

As the track carries on it passes some fine glacial perched boulders I'm not sure if these are called erratics
with them being the same stone as the pedestal ( any one know ? ( bushwaker bob ? )
ThornsGillerratic1.jpg

ThornsGillerratic2.jpg

just over a slight hill the track leads to the ruined farmstead of Thorns
ThornsGillruin.jpg

which was a good excuse to stop for dinner.Todays Menu :_
Pork Fillet bashed thin dipped in beaten egg then spiced breadcrums and fried in olive oil in an 8" cast iron frying pan.
Petits Pois with baby Carrots and mashed potatoes Wine was South African Pinotage and Shiraz
in a Lexan wine glass ( http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?desc=LEXAN+WINE+GLASS&wce=53700101&wci=product ) and a brew, kettle and pan
kept warm with a solid fuel tablet while Pork cooks
ThornsGilldinner.jpg

even at 13:30 it was still cold
ThornsGillfrozenpuddle.jpg

as I made my way back with Ribblehead Viaduct acting as a marker
RibbleheadViaduct.jpg

another successful "Tour" cheers all Danny

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
[
As the track carries on it passes some fine glacial perched boulders I'm not sure if these are called erratics
with them being the same stone as the pedestal ( any one know ? ( bushwaker bob ? )
ThornsGillerratic1.jpg

ThornsGillerratic2.jpg

Hi Nice pictures...

If the stone is the same type of stone as the rock it's sitting on it's not generally classed as an erratic...

of course Wikipedia has something to say on the subject...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacial_erratic

Nice Stove... it's a Sunngas if I'm not mistaken.... I visited the factory where they're made 2 weeks ago.....

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Nice Stove... it's a Sunngas if I'm not mistaken.... I visited the factory where they're made 2 weeks ago.....
well spoted I like the ability of turning the gas bottle upside down if it's really cold ,with the gas feed running through the flame,then the propane and butane stay in their mix ratio
cheers Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Danny, i Like that farm track pic,and the rather posh out n about grub.

the out n about grubs ok it's the "Black tie" get up that's a faf.
Start of cooking, leather glove finger as cast fryingpan holder small grater- just a touch of Nutmeg on the mashed spuds
ThornsGilldinnernutmeg.jpg

cheers Danny

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
well spoted I like the ability of turning the gas bottle upside down if it's really cold ,with the gas feed running through the flame,then the propane and butane stay in their mix ratio
cheers Danny

Glad you get on with it.. It was a bit of a mission to get the factory to get the stove through the CE testing...

Great photos keep em comming...

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Dan, I love reading about Teddy's travels, but can I ask for a little bit more information about Teddy's background? It would help me put his desire to travel into perspective:):)

I've just asked him and he says he's a deluxe Harrods Teddy personally hand stuffed, with the finest Swan down (from around Cygnets bum), by Mr Al Fayed.
cheers Danny

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
ThornsGillerratic1.jpg

judging by the way this is orientated i would say this is an erratic.

if it is the same rock however then i'm not entirely sure - could be the same rock type from a different locality.

however if you look at the way it has been weathered you can see that the two rocks are slightly different. - the upper (erratic) rock has obvious bedding planes and is quite smooth, while the rock it is rested on is quite angular and fractured.

i couldn't say for definite without seeing it myself. looks to me like you have some sedimentary rock - limestone and shale perhaps - on top of an igneous rock.
it can be hard to tell what a rock is by looking at the weathered surface - as it can be totally different to a fresh surface - so get 'ur hammer out :D :viking:

sorry for the info rant.

some really nice pictures there mate. you certainly have a good set up.

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE