Tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok not exactly bushcraft drink but I have been hillwalking and camping for many years and have had sachets of instant white tea that my cousin gave me at one point. He obtained them from when he was in the army.

I have no idea if anywhere apart from the army sells them. Does anyone on here have any ideas of where to look for instant white tea sachets?

What does everybody else do for drinking in the field?

Andy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I usually just take tea bags or sometimes stock cubes. If I'm away camping or the like I might take ground coffee. Nothing like it by a fire :)

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
I like my stock cubes :D I even eat them raw sometimes. But i have a friend who collects all the cadets tea sachets from their rations and keeps them. He never shares them. :( Tight git. Never seen them anywhere else though

Sorry. :(

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
It seems to be something you can buy either on eBay or as part of a ration
pack - I've not found anywhere that sells just the instant white tea sachets.

Typhoo sell QT Instant white tea in 150g jars for £2.10 according to this
website - how you package it next might be up to you!
http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Typhoo_Tea.html

It's a bit confusing as there appears to be a type of 'white tea' that's nothing
to do with pre-added milk, but I googled with a variety of permutations of
"instant white tea" sachet or sachets and found that restricting to the UK
(by adding site:uk) didn't help much!

Suggest pinching one from someone and noting the manufacturers' details.
Or perhaps this is where you make your first million!

Jo

Now theres an idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :red:

Jodie said:
Suggest pinching one from someone and noting the manufacturers' details.
Or perhaps this is where you make your first million!

I did do some searching around and could only find the sachets as part of the ration packs and not on their own.

I no longer know anyone in the army that could perhaps get me a few. I dont know about anyone else but when added with some sugar it is one of the better cups of tea I have had out in the field.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Pandabean said:
Now theres an idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :red:

I did do some searching around and could only find the sachets as part of the ration packs and not on their own.

I no longer know anyone in the army that could perhaps get me a few. I dont know about anyone else but when added with some sugar it is one of the better cups of tea I have had out in the field.
Black tea no sugar and definitely no milk :eek:

Pandabean just had a look about and found some of them though some date from 1997 and the others from 2001. If you want them PM me your address and I'll send them to you.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pandabean said:
Ok not exactly bushcraft drink but I have been hillwalking and camping for many years and have had sachets of instant white tea that my cousin gave me at one point. He obtained them from when he was in the army.

I have no idea if anywhere apart from the army sells them. Does anyone on here have any ideas of where to look for instant white tea sachets?

Andy

My local "Pound" shop sells jars of Typhoo instant white tea, £1 per 150gm jar. I take sugar with my tea, so I mix in the right ratio and store in a ziplock bag for my trips. You can buy the same in Tesco and Asda, but its a little more expensive, but not much

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Pandabean said:

Andy
The white instant tea in ration pack (or at least the ration packs I have) is made by a company that used to be called Premier brands, Premier brands own Typhoo who make an instant white tea called “Typhoo QT” instant white tea.
Premier Brands is now part of the Apeejay International Tea group.
Ty.phoo QT is available from all leading supermarkets and grocers

this is what they look like in the Individual servings pack

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I drink Rooibos (redbush) when I'm out - it has a great flavour, and is caffeine free, so none of the diuretic effects associated.

Pandabean, you could use Typhoo QT and steal a technique from fellow forum member Silverback.
He likes to drink coffe, so gets a plastic sandwich bag, and puts a spoonful of coffee and two sugars in. he then twists the bag so the coffee and sugar are held in a sort of bubble.
He twists one of those wire closures around it to keep it in place.
He then repeats this, until the bag is full, and he has lots of little plastic bubbles full of instant coffee and sugar premixed and ready to go.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
And it works like a dream ;) . I actually use a slightly larger elongated bag than your average sandwich bag and tie it with a small bit of parcel string so everything can be burnt on the mandatory campfire afterwards. I have never seen these larger bags anywhere (I source them through work) so I would be willing to send 10 (empty obviously ;) ) to the first 10 PM's I get (postage swallowed by me :) ). Thats 10 bags each to 10 people. I will also edit this post with a photo of the finished 'bubbles'. You can get about 7 brews from one bag.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I have some if you want them Pandabean. I dont drink tea... 'orrible tasting stuff...so your welcome to them. Just PM me if you want them.

That goes for the coffee and the rest of the drinks making stuff if anyone wants them.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I've noticed that the value sandwich bags from Sainsbury's are unusually
long so might work well. Fifty in a pack I think - my sandwiches lurk in the
bottom and it's very easy to tie the top bit up cos it's so long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE