Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
I'm looking to buy a 3m x 3m tarp for wild camping on Dartmoor, Lake district and Scotland - do you guys have any suggestions for a cheap but good one? Preferably lightweight, but I realise I've got to compromise somewhere and I think it has to be there :p

I was thinking about just getting the DD one along with a DD hammock, but I was thinking it might be better to get one with a central ring in it for more versatility?

Alternately, I could just go and filch an old army one from the CCF section at our school - I could probably borrow one for any expeditions I go on, but I'm not sure how good they are - mostly we uses ponchos, but there are a couple of actually tarps, although I've heard bad things about them..!

Another possibility is to get one from Endicott's, as I'm thinking about getting one of their amazingly cheap surplus thermarests, but the prices of the tarps aren't up yet.. It might be worth waiting until I can get to exeter and see what they're like there. How can I tell if theyre good quality?

Any help would be appreciated:rolleyes:
Thanks, Lucy

Edit: I should probably mention that I would rather not have a DPM one, since it's not that feminine and I don't wanna look hardcore :p

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'm looking to buy a 3m x 3m tarp for wild camping on Dartmoor, Lake district and Scotland - do you guys have any suggestions for a cheap but good one? Preferably lightweight, but I realise I've got to compromise somewhere and I think it has to be there :p
depends on your idea of cheap, but the Tatonka polycotton ones are quite popular...

I was thinking about just getting the DD one along with a DD hammock, but I was thinking it might be better to get one with a central ring in it for more versatility?
no experience of those, but i think there was a thread recently, after the groupbuy went through...

Alternately, I could just go and filch an old army one from the CCF section at our school - I could probably borrow one for any expeditions I go on, but I'm not sure how good they are - mostly we uses ponchos, but there are a couple of actually tarps, although I've heard bad things about them..!
is that tarps or bashas? there are a few cheap copy bashas around that aren't well made (i bought one - had to seal the stitching on the center seam :eek: ) but I found it a little too short and narrow to keep the rain off (i'm 6'1")

Another possibility is to get one from Endicott's, as I'm thinking about getting one of their amazingly cheap surplus thermarests, but the prices of the tarps aren't up yet.. It might be worth waiting until I can get to exeter and see what they're like there. How can I tell if theyre good quality?

Any help would be appreciated:rolleyes:
Thanks, Lucy
- I'd trust what Kevin says - he knows his stuff. And he'll point out the bad points of kit - saved me spending lots of dosh on a pair of pro boots recently after he showed me the faulty sole that's on a lot of the current production. - How far are you from Exeter?.

Edit: I should probably mention that I would rather not have a DPM one, since it's not that feminine and I don't wanna look hardcore :p
Even if it's pink american hunting camo? :p - What about an aussie hootchie? - last time I was in Endicotts (just after christmas) they had a couple in in jellybean camo (i've got one:rolleyes: ) and something similar in plain green.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
You know maybe you should just be my mentor from now on :p

is that tarps or bashas? there are a few cheap copy bashas around that aren't well made (i bought one - had to seal the stitching on the center seam :eek: ) but I found it a little too short and narrow to keep the rain off (i'm 6'1")

I'm not entirely sure whether it was a tarp or a basha.. What's the difference?!

- I'd trust what Kevin says - he knows his stuff. And he'll point out the bad points of kit - saved me spending lots of dosh on a pair of pro boots recently after he showed me the faulty sole that's on a lot of the current production. - How far are you from Exeter?.
That's good to know - I'm only 30 mins away by train and I go up there to see old friends every few weeks anyway, and my sister at uni there, so that'll be no problem.

Even if it's pink american hunting camo? :p - What about an aussie hootchie? - last time I was in Endicotts (just after christmas) they had a couple in in jellybean camo (i've got one:rolleyes: ) and something similar in plain green.
As much as I love pink.. I think I'd prefer plain green in all honesty!! Jellybean? Ah my life.. so much to learn!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
are you anywhere near a Decathlon store?
they sell a 3'x3' tarp complete with poles and pegs for under £20
It's a great bit of kit (and you don't need to carry the poles)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
You know maybe you should just be my mentor from now on :p
Mental more like :lmao:
I'm not entirely sure whether it was a tarp or a basha.. What's the difference?!
Ray Mears doesn't use a basha ??!! - I tend to think of a basha as the one with the hanging loops down the middle (sure a squaddie will be along to correct me now :rolleyes: )
That's good to know - I'm only 30 mins away by train and I go up there to see old friends every few weeks anyway, and my sister at uni there, so that'll be no problem.
say hello from me when you're in there :)
Jellybean? Ah my life.. so much to learn!
Jellybean camo

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Ah I see.. on many counts! Hmm, well basically I just want something that's 3 x 3 ish (so big enough, but not too big..) that's around the 25 pound mark (maximum ish) but preferably cheaper! And it needs to keep me dry - that's about all I want!

I'm fairly sure I don't have a decathlon store round here - Taunton's pretty crap outfoor shop-wise..

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Ok so my friend's boyfriend lives near a Decathlon store so he could get it for me.. But then it actually looks really big, like the size of a tent! Should I maybe get a 3 x 2 one (although I know Decathlon don't do them) so it retains my body heat better? But then would that actually shelter me from the rain? I want o use it both over a hammock and on its own..

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
3x3 is better than 3x2 IMHO for a few reasons, mainly because you have more set up options, especially if you combine with a hammock. You can't really use a 3x2 in a diamond configuration. Also, you have more sheltered space underneath, and potentially more headroom. You're not really going to conserve much heat under a tarp but you can create a smaller "dead" space simply by pitching it lower and tucking the extra under you to act as a groundsheet. A 3x2 is fine but less flexible, you can still pitch it to shelter you well enough from the elements.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
3x3 is better than 3x2 IMHO for a few reasons, mainly because you have more set up options, especially if you combine with a hammock. You can't really use a 3x2 in a diamond configuration. Also, you have more sheltered space underneath, and potentially more headroom. You're not really going to conserve much heat under a tarp but you can create a smaller "dead" space simply by pitching it lower and tucking the extra under you to act as a groundsheet. A 3x2 is fine but less flexible, you can still pitch it to shelter you well enough from the elements.

Ok thank you! So basically do you mean I'll be cold whatever I do?! I was ok under a poncho on the floor in September - but it's probably different with a hammock?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
...So basically do you mean I'll be cold whatever I do?!

LOL! You shouldn't be. Just don't rely on the tarp to keep you warm, you'll still need a decent bag.

I was ok under a poncho on the floor in September - but it's probably different with a hammock?

Only difference is you have to think about insulation under your body as well. When you're on the ground your sleep-mat insulates you the most underneath. Use the search for underblankets and hammock insulation.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Yup, that's the one.
It's a great tarp.

@ Lucy, you want more living space with a hammock.
that extra 50cm pre side makes a huge difference. and if the weather gets bad you can drop the sides down for extra protection.

With tarps size does matter.:D

Righto - with the cheapness of it and the added poles which could be useful for Dartmoor, I think I'll go with this one!!
Thanks all!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE