Tarp size and setting it up.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I am planning on spending quite a bit of time throughout this winter and coming year under a tarp during a long term course and was thinking about getting a larger tarp to make the winter slightly more comfortable and drier. I have read much about the ideal size, i guess a 3x3m or 3x4m would make the winter months more comfortable?

Also I was just wondering if it was best to set up a tarp and hammock 90 degrees to the prevailing wind in a wood or any other location. Would this decrease the chance of rain blowing in the ends when using a small tarp?

I'd appreciate any ones thoughts and experiences.

leon-1

billycan said:
I am planning on spending quite a bit of time throughout this winter and coming year under a tarp during a long term course and was thinking about getting a larger tarp to make the winter slightly more comfortable and drier. I have read much about the ideal size, i guess a 3x3m or 3x4m would make the winter months more comfortable?

Also I was just wondering if it was best to set up a tarp and hammock 90 degrees to the prevailing wind in a wood or any other location. Would this decrease the chance of rain blowing in the ends when using a small tarp?

I'd appreciate any ones thoughts and experiences.

The only thing that really stops rain coming in close to your hammock with a small tarp is the proximity to the tarp itself, the sighting of the hammock and what natural shelter you have available to you.

Normally when out and about I prefer to set my tarp and hammock as low as is possible, with a hoochie I prefer there to be about 12 inches or less gap at either end between where it stops and where the tree begins and before I get into it initially there is only about 18 Inches between the tarps ridge and the hammock.

I am going to be moving to a 3X3 tarp, after years of using mil spec / size tarps, basha's and poncho's, just because it gives me that little extra space to work with. I decided on the 3X3 because setting it up in a diagonal format gives me even space on either side and gives me a 4.5meter ridge to play with if I need it. I don't think that I wil require anything more than this, it also keeps the pack size and weight down as I am nearly always on foot.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well I have arrived at a Truenorth 4x3 tarp, which continues to impress me.
I have tried various hoochies, bashas and hennessy's hex fly, and found that this tarp gives me the most options for different situations. My friend used his over his hammock at the bushmoot, giving a nice large area to cook and work under.
I used mine as a ground dwelling shelter, as it can be pitched with sides folded in as a grounsheet, or a central pole to make a teepee, or recently in high wind, one side pitched out, and a third folded under to sleep on. Giving a very aerodynamic, windproof structure.
I'm off canoeing in Norway in a couple of weeks, so will take this tarp + hennessy hammock + thermarest. Which should give me every available option :D
I'll try and add some photo's when i get home....
Cheers
Rich

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Not being one to normally comment on the pros and cons of kit :rolleyes: ................I have this tarp and find it excellent http://www.abc-camping.co.uk/details.aspx?id=729
It's heavy with the poles and a no-go for backpacking however makes a good rain shelter when camping at campsites with a car or the family with no trees to string a tarp from, and you don't want to be stuck in your tent when it's pouring down. On it's own (without the poles) the tarp is very light and spacious. You can lower it completely to the ground and peg it out. Also you can have plenty of room for sleeping with a hammock. Good strong material too. The poles can be folded if needs be to lower the tarp when using them. This particular place has sold out but lots of places sell them. I got mine from Go camp (used to be Touchwoods, Top of the Abingdon road) in Oxford for £40. The weight is mentioned 5.3 kg but of course this is considerably less without the poles.

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
falling rain said:
Not being one to normally comment on the pros and cons of kit :rolleyes: ................I have this tarp and find it excellent http://www.abc-camping.co.uk/details.aspx?id=729
It's heavy with the poles and a no-go for backpacking however makes a good rain shelter when camping at campsites with a car or the family with no trees to string a tarp from,

Looks like this one on ebay.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WEHNCKE-TENTS...ryZ87128QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dont know seller etc etc

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I have settled on getting a 3x4m ish tarp, can anyone suggest a few manufacturers and suppliers such as Tatonka etc or any unknown suppliers, ideally a poly one to save on weight,

cheers chaps

leon-1

topknot said:
leon1 will you be making this 3 by 3 tarp, if so what material will you use?

No, I won't be making it :eek:. I haven't got a sewing machine.

It will be one of the Tatonka tarps:)

I had been thinking of making one and had thought of making it from tent fly material. The cost in the long run wasn't much different so I opted for the easy option.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Leon-1, one thing I learned about pitching my hammock and tarp low to the ground was on my first trip with a hammock. It was to Panama and I got all wet, from the bottom. It can rain so hard there that the rain bounces back up, splashes all over you and the hammock. I have not pitched the hammocks that low again.
I would think that the advantage of a low tarp would be a place to cook, eat, sit while under the tarp. Less likely to get rained on. I have carried a second tarp, a really light one to pitch separately to extend my dry space. Surely one large one would be ideal. Cheers :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
stay off the hammock in the winter nights as you lose too much heat, also applies to the tarp - a low tarp will keep the wind off you and retain the heat. another option is to use two and have a sleeping area and a working area tarp above it which can take the hammock for warm nights or just relaxing during the day.

another problem with hammocks is you cant stoke the fire if you need to keep warm. a more comfortable arrangment would be an A frame bed allowing you to keep the important stuff off the floor and tidy stuff underneath another tarp and some bootlace stitching can make you an acceptable bench.

you could also try a parachute/teepee type arrangement or progress to building two tarps facing each other with a roof slit for smoke and blocked off ends.

long term tarp living isn't easy and you will slowly progress to a more house type arrangement. making tables and shelves :)

get a good hollowfibre doss bag, bivvy bag and a cooker if you havent got one incase you need a quick lifesaving brew the trangia set is designed for fire use as well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE