tarp mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
at the present i true north out doors tarp which is 3.5 X 4m and i has five loops along the ridge line and i want to add a sixth so that one of the loops lines up with a set of loops on eath side cos at the present they dont. Now then i know how i am going to sticht on the extra loop quite easily but water proofing i dont have a clue help please

drew

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi Drew,

i modified my previous tarp with extra loops, and didn't do any waterproofing,never seemed to be a problem. I don't think any water ever came through, but if it has, I must have lost it in the condensation somewhere.

Just use the thinnest needle you can find.....

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
or a machine to do the stitching, the tighter the stitching the better the waterproofing should hold.
waxed thread might help too

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
And give the area a spray with that silicone used for re-waterproofing things like boots etc. It soaks in and forms an internal seal. If it's a really wet day and i'm going out i spray it on the seat and knees of my trousers. It works ok although it breaks down some after a days use and a wash.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Drew,
you can use a tube of tent seam sealer from a camping shop and then you seal things individually mate. Cost you a couple of quid.:D

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, I made up my own tarp and had no probs with the seams letting water.

img1072zn0.jpg

Cheers Topknot

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I was thinking of making one as I currently use a mil issue one which I find is a tad small.

Any chance you can give me material supplier details and any tips you may have.

Thanks.
Craeg ;)

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I use Mcnett Seamsure. Got mine from Milletts for £4.99.

It comes in a bottle with a sort of brush on the end so you can work it into seams and stitching properly. It dries in about 2 hours and is almost invisible, with just a slight shiny finish when dry.

Never had any seams I have treated leak after using this stuff

Regards

Phill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE