Tanning salmon skin

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Has anyone done that? How is it done? I had a search but didn't come up with anything much. We have a largish salmon for Xmas lunch. (Not my idea :rolleyes: ) And so I thought of trying to make some use of the skin. Any help much appreciated.:You_Rock_

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Has anyone done that? How is it done? I had a search but didn't come up with anything much. We have a largish salmon for Xmas lunch. (Not my idea :rolleyes: ) And so I thought of trying to make some use of the skin. Any help much appreciated.:You_Rock_

i think a phone call to a taxidermist may help you out, as they cure fish,so it can be done

bernie

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have heard of cowboy boots being made of Salmon leather and that it is a good tough leather if done right.
No Ideas on how to do it thogh - sorry!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I did a bit of googling and found this: http://www.primitiveways.com/processing_sharkskin.html

The guy says he has done salmon skin that way, so I was happily thinking, Yeah, I'll give that a try :D

BUT: SWMBOs (pity me I have 3 of them in the house) are pulling a very long face at me because I dared to suggest taking the skin off the salmon before cooking it :( I can't understand that sort of attitude, meself :rolleyes: ;) . So I might loose the battle on this one, and will have to get another salmon, skin it and THEN bring it home!!!

I hope you have better success than me, Scoman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE