Taking and returning knives through customs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
When we were looking at advice prior to my son going on expedition last year there was a pretty sensible sounding advice that one of the most particular places was UK security so if in doubt carry a jiffy bag addressed to home and with adequate postage. If denied just post it home as you will not have the time / it is not worth to arguing the case. An international post pack can do the same abroad but there is the potential for VAT etc as Ged says.

I the end he took a Mora Clipper as if they really wanted to open his baggage and confiscate it so what! It was wrapped in several yards of clingfilm, inside his sleeping bag, in the checked in rucksack, declared at check-in and never an issue.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Sensible advice here.

I would urge people to check import restrictions tho - I think you'd have problems if you tried to take a wooden-handled knife to Western Australia - they don't allow the import of wooden items, and are very very hot on anything that has been 'outdoors'. They have sniffer dogs at immigration, so it isn't worth trying it on. On the spot fine (I think it was $100) and confiscation of the item.

Last time we went there with the family, I scrubbed and bleached the soles of all our shoes before setting off for the airport - we lived on a farm. The kids thought I was mad, until we got to Perth and they saw people hauled out of the line at immigration.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sensible advice here.

I would urge people to check import restrictions tho - I think you'd have problems if you tried to take a wooden-handled knife to Western Australia - they don't allow the import of wooden items, and are very very hot on anything that has been 'outdoors'. They have sniffer dogs at immigration, so it isn't worth trying it on. On the spot fine (I think it was $100) and confiscation of the item.

Last time we went there with the family, I scrubbed and bleached the soles of all our shoes before setting off for the airport - we lived on a farm. The kids thought I was mad, until we got to Perth and they saw people hauled out of the line at immigration.

That is sound advice. Aus customs are dead hot on anything organic.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The original post was specifically for UK/Norway and return. It might be well for others with different destinations to remember to check the import/export rules for those destinations too. Someone mentioned Australia.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
I'd wrap it securely, but not then put it in a sleeping bag or anything. The last thing you want is it looking like your intention is to 'hide' it. Just wrap it securely, and put it in the bag. Customs get very very twitchy about stuff that is 'hidden', and once they get twitched, they look deeper. The sound of a vinyl glove snapping on is not a sound you want to be hearing!

Currently on 4 week visit to Sweden. As usual travelled with my regular Bushcraft sharps in the hold luggage, no problem.
When I go to Norway I always do the same, never even been questioned or searched at either airport or ferry terminal.
Have a great trip, nice spot!

P.S. There's been a hell of a lot of rain in thses parts over the last week or so (some flooding further North in Norway). So prepare for wet ground and swollen rivers. Should be some spectacular waterfalls!
What UK visitors often forget / choose to forget is that unlike Sweden in summer in Norway the following rule applies...
Open fires are not permitted in or near forested areas in the period 15 April to 15 September.
See here...
http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/Articles/Theme/Where-to-stay/Camping-in-Norway/Tenting-in-the-wilderness/
Personally, if you are sensible in choosing stoney ground near water etc (and it will be quite wet anyway) no one will give you any grief, but can't be guaranteed.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
here is a link to a PDF used by HMRC as guidance on knives and other prohibited items. Simply put, they follow the Criminal Justice Act and Prevention of Crime Act. So if it is legal for you to carry the knife to the ferry port/air port (as traveling to a place where you will use the knife is a reasonable excuse) then it is legal for you to go through customs with it.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile?contentID=HMCE_PROD1_025807

One point to remember with posting a knife back to yourself. There have been instances where the Royal Mail sorting office staff have opened "suspect" packages and handed knives over to the Police. So even if you post it back home there is no guarentee it'll get there. In one news article a Royal Mail manager demonstrated how a folding knife could be opened by swininging his arm allowing centrifugal force to snap the blade out. A normally legal friction folder without enough friction was destroyed and another "weapon" taken off the streets!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE