Taking and returning knives through customs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rups

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
London
I'm off to the back of beyond in Rorøs, Norway tomorrow for 2 weeks camping, fishing and general wilderness living. I'd like to take my knife with me, a picture attached. I've looked at the customs website and can see no law specifically banning it but I don't want it to be confiscated; particularly upon my return. Can anyone advise me on the law please?
52848b9b-c790-1c4f.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What these guys said. I've been all over the place with my knives safely stowed in my luggage and never had a problem.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If I had something that I treasured -- and there are lots of things like that, like the little blue glass dolphin with a broken fin that was my mother's -- then the last place I'd put it would be in my checked-in baggage.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i'm guessing that a little blue dolphin with a broken fin would'nt be seized by customs / security anyway :) could be wrong mind you :)

you could take the little dolphin to "FIN" land to get it fixed though Hahahahaha

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's not customs that bothers me. it's the baggage handlers!

:rofl:

I think the point is that "customs" isn't really a problem as ordinary knives are likely very much legal to import/export. On the other hand, if you try to bring one into the passenger cabin as hand carried baggage, "customs" would be the least of your worries.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Looks like the right knife for a Norwegian trip.

I had no issues travelling to Finland with knives in the hold luggage. It's curious that we get worried about sharps - the airlines are far more concerned about stoves.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Ditto all the above!
I recently returned from a trip to Finland, flying from Edinburgh to Tampere, and had no problems taking a knife in my hold baggage.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
on a recent trip to Sweden, some of my friends took the Dover-Folkestone ferry and whilst they weren't searched, a customs chappie asked them if they had "anything they shuoldn't have", "no" replies my colleagues, "how about knives" says the customs man, "well yes we have a couple of sheath knives, in rucsacs in the boot, well out of sight"

customs chap didn't confiscate them or anyhting but warned them that it was illegal to take sheath knives in and out of the country!!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
customs chap didn't confiscate them or anyhting but warned them that it was illegal to take sheath knives in and out of the country!!

It isn't illegal at all. Seems odd that a customs officer would say that, and even stranger he would then allow and conspire to something he thought was illegal. Possibly a newbie to the job. You can legally take axes, machetes and even swords in and out of the country as long as they are not prohibited items like flick knives etc.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You shouldn't have any problems, bushcraft /sheath knives are not illegal to posess, buy, sell or transport, they are only illegal to carry(without good reason), display or use in a public place. Safely packed in a suitcase or rucksack is perfectly legitimate..........If you are unlucky enough to have your luggage searched, it won't be a camping knife the customs will be looking for.............You can always contact them (customs) & ask, so you that you have peace of mind & not dread the journey back......it's often niggling worries like this, that can spoil a trip.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
there is no argument with posting it, lots of people buy lots of fixed blade knives from outside the UK every day, generally you only fall foul if trying to buy something that comes close too or is in breach of the offensive weapons act,

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
there is no argument with posting it, lots of people buy lots of fixed blade knives from outside the UK every day, generally you only fall foul if trying to buy something that comes close too or is in breach of the offensive weapons act,

You could potentially get charged VAT and import duty, and that's calculated on the cost of the knife, the packaging and the postage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE