Swedish army wool trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm trying to get hold of a pair of Swedish Army heavyweight wool trousers but can't seem to find anything online in this country. The only ones I've seen are in the US. Before I take that option I wondered if anyone could recommend a UK site which sells them? Thanks in advance for your help.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i had a pair a few years back and stupidly sold them on , now i have the same problem trying to find another pair.i have seen the odd pair come up but in small sizes.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'm trying to get hold of a pair of Swedish Army heavyweight wool trousers but can't seem to find anything online in this country. The only ones I've seen are in the US. Before I take that option I wondered if anyone could recommend a UK site which sells them? Thanks in advance for your help.

There is a few sites in sweden, probably cheaper shipping and you won't get hit by customs or VAT. The problem is that there is almost only small sizes available. These have been discontinued from the army since a long time so they are basically running out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
These are brilliant trousers.
My bother nicked my last pair :sigh:

BigSwede what would you consider small sizes ? waist and hip I mean........and did they do a special cut for females ?
I've been eyeing up the Danish ladies civil defence ones recently.

If you can get British Army No2 dress woollen trousers, they're very good too. You need to get bigger than you need though so that you can pull the waist in to give you 'comfort' fit elsewhere.

cheers,
Toddy

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I have a bunch of these swedish woolen trousers. Cheap as chips and comfortable to walk or ski if you use suspenders (though can be a little to warm). Very strong even if they were made during the second world war... The look isn't the best because the pipes get narrower at the bottom, and it's quite a baggy appearance at the rear... I say this after carrying them for about 2 years for most of the time (except summer).

I bought them online and in second hand shops in Sweden. In most places they were running out, as bigswede mentions, and I'm not to sure of any place which has them. It's not only bushcrafters who buy the pants (or jacket), on the Jokkmokk market I saw a group of textile women who bought the pants and jackets for the material, cutting it up and making very nice filt clothes and items out of it. They too complained that the army filt was running out.

@Toddy: There's no female cut

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
If you can get British Army No2 dress woollen trousers, they're very good too. You need to get bigger than you need though so that you can pull the waist in to give you 'comfort' fit elsewhere.

Toddy,

There seem to some of these around. I assume they're made of wool? Also I guess they aren't as thick as the Swedish trousers?? Could you tell me what you know about them, why they are highly rated? Thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The battle dress trousers were excellent :D I had a pair that I used camping when I was a teenager.

The No2's that I had weren't as thick as the Swedish ones, but they were fine around fires and the like. My last pair were pure wool, they smelled like mothballs when I first got them :yuck: I think I'd check the label these days, best be sure before someone goes up in flames :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Get a small pair (for cheap only) and deconstruct and add/subtract where needed. Yes, you can add with these pants; the inseam variance is more than 26mm in the3 legs.. and there's plenty to play with. The biggest difference the swede variety have over other wool pants, is:
1. they have a tapered gussett on the crotch inseam (as if these pants needed more room to roam ;) )
2. they are grey in color.. moreso than the typical olive drab of all the other woolen pants.
3. They have the leather gaiter straps at the bottoms (as an option). Nice if you don't plan on carrying an extra set of snow blockers.
4. Metal (tin?) buttons. Need there more be said?
5. Side thigh pockets were later added . Often they were in a different dye lot, and somewhat more "purple"? in color (late 50's?).

I've got 3 pairs @ 34"x34" inseam/waist.. the reference to bagginess is more of an evolutionary style dysfunction rather than the cut on the pants. Back in the 40's-50's men wore their pants much higher than currently. Suspenders were the norm and wearing pants lines at the top of the hips (yes, with the waistline being at the top of the ilium) were all the design.

These pants stretch/move much better than their German and US counterparts. It;s a shame you can;t get them closer to home in a normal size. i would be willing to trade 32-34 inseam swedes for AaBe Dutch blankets (nearly non-exestent wool tweeds over here :( ) They are going for 30$US while the dutchie dekens are hitting 25-35$ and a constant 30$ isle side.

hmmm

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Get a small pair (for cheap only) and deconstruct and add/subtract where needed. Yes, you can add with these pants; the inseam variance is more than 26mm in the3 legs.. and there's plenty to play with. The biggest difference the swede variety have over other wool pants, is:
1. they have a tapered gussett on the crotch inseam (as if these pants needed more room to roam ;) )
2. they are grey in color.. moreso than the typical olive drab of all the other woolen pants.
3. They have the leather gaiter straps at the bottoms (as an option). Nice if you don't plan on carrying an extra set of snow blockers.
4. Metal (tin?) buttons. Need there more be said?
5. Side thigh pockets were later added . Often they were in a different dye lot, and somewhat more "purple"? in color (late 50's?).

I've got 3 pairs @ 34"x34" inseam/waist.. the reference to bagginess is more of an evolutionary style dysfunction rather than the cut on the pants. Back in the 40's-50's men wore their pants much higher than currently. Suspenders were the norm and wearing pants lines at the top of the hips (yes, with the waistline being at the top of the ilium) were all the design.

These pants stretch/move much better than their German and US counterparts. It;s a shame you can;t get them closer to home in a normal size. i would be willing to trade 32-34 inseam swedes for AaBe Dutch blankets (nearly non-exestent wool tweeds over here :( ) They are going for 30$US while the dutchie dekens are hitting 25-35$ and a constant 30$ isle side.

hmmm

Edispliff,

I would be willing to trade a 3kg Dutch Army wool blanket for a 34inch waist 32inch inseam pair of Swedish army trousers. Please let me know if you're interested.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
treadlight... Hmmm sounds like opportunity has knocked :D I'll try to manage something sometime after the holidays. I'ver bookmarked this thread so i should have an adequate reminder. In the event it is forgotten, please remind me ;)

presently i've ordered a few from a supposedly 'reliable' vendor here in the states. we'll see how they pan out.

Thanks for the opportunity!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
treadlight... Hmmm sounds like opportunity has knocked :d i'll try to manage something sometime after the holidays. I'ver bookmarked this thread so i should have an adequate reminder. In the event it is forgotten, please remind me ;)

presently i've ordered a few from a supposedly 'reliable' vendor here in the states. We'll see how they pan out.

Thanks for the opportunity!

ok..............................................

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Due to my spreading waistline I am now on my second pair of these, Codet Wool Cargo Pants, the first pair has lasted me 5 years, now the property of my mate who loves them as much as i do...I bought my first pair in Canada but my new ones came from Ebay. Just type in their name and you can get them for £30 plus £16 postage, you will have to run the gauntlet of HM Customs but you just cant get quality wool trousers for this money in the U.K. There green aswell wjth loads of pockets.....Fantastic value!!!

Glen

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Due to my spreading waistline I am now on my second pair of these, Codet Wool Cargo Pants, the first pair has lasted me 5 years, now the property of my mate who loves them as much as i do...I bought my first pair in Canada but my new ones came from Ebay. Just type in their name and you can get them for £30 plus £16 postage, you will have to run the gauntlet of HM Customs but you just cant get quality wool trousers for this money in the U.K. There green aswell wjth loads of pockets.....Fantastic value!!!

Glen

Thanks very much for the heads up Glen:).

How do you find the sizing? Should I go for my normal UK size would you say?

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Codet is a Canadian company so the sizes are the same as here, my new one's are 34" waist with a 31" leg and they fit ansome! There's even a set of buttons for braces should you need them.

Glen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE