Swedish army wool trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
You can get a several items delivered for the £7.50 though. Would it be worth ordering as a small group, do you think?

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Check ePay. I got an unissued pair delivered from the States for under £20 all-in. Mind, perhaps the size (30x35) played a part. (I'm not actually that tall, I turned them up.) Perhaps to some people the convenience is worth paying £25/pair plus P&P. Not to me tho.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
These guys seem to have them in all sorts of sizes. Cheap too. They're a bit after though, the company I mean, probably no international service. But mail them and see.

There main url is ww.bbfab.se

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
How do people think a pair of Fjallraven Foresters in combination with Woolpower 400 Long Johns would perform? Plenty warm enough? I have credit note so a pair would only cost me 20 quid. Would have 200s and Ventiles as a back-up for extremes.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How do people think a pair of Fjallraven Foresters in combination with Woolpower 400 Long Johns would perform? Plenty warm enough? I have credit note so a pair would only cost me 20 quid. Would have 200s and Ventiles as a back-up for extremes.

It would probably be about as warm -- give or take -- but have different characteristics. The outer pant would make your system more resilient initally to getting wet, but would be more sensitive in the long run to becomming cold & wet. In other words it is a decent substitute, but not one I personally would chose for a longer stay.

I have some thick woolen Fjällräven trousers that are great. Really warm and loads of pockets. They were a sample from the Fjällräven factory outlet in Stockholm The trousers never went into production though, as apparently they were going to be too expensive to manufacture.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
It would probably be about as warm -- give or take -- but have different characteristics. The outer pant would make your system more resilient initally to getting wet, but would be more sensitive in the long run to becomming cold & wet. In other words it is a decent substitute, but not one I personally would chose for a longer stay.

I would certainly prefer a shell and lining system. The wool army pants soaks up moisture and weighs a ton after a week in the field. I have tried both systems and really prefer the shell and base layers, much easier to dry out the moisture from base layers. But in the end, it all depends on application. I have lived a long time on spitsbergen and have spent a lot of time in the north of sweden and norway during the winter (touring on skis with pulk), that environment and application is different from the forest. But I prefer the said combination there as well.

I would say that the army wool pants are more sensitive to getting wet, not in terms of insulation but in terms of weight. As I said, the wool pants take a long time to dry. This is well documented. We could do a field test if you like :)

forestwalker

I have some thick woolen Fjällräven trousers that are great. Really warm and loads of pockets. They were a sample from the Fjällräven factory outlet in Stockholm The trousers never went into production though, as apparently they were going to be too expensive to manufacture.

I got two pairs of such a pair as well; green "loden" wool with a 65/35 poly/cotton liner. Only one leg pocket, no lids on the fron pockets, but the pair that in use finally got a bit worn this fall, and therefore has knee and rear reinforcements, as well as lids for the front pockets.

forestwalker

I would certainly prefer a shell and lining system. The wool army pants soaks up moisture and weighs a ton after a week in the field. I have tried both systems and really prefer the shell and base layers, much easier to dry out the moisture from base layers. But in the end, it all depends on application. I have lived a long time on spitsbergen and have spent a lot of time in the north of sweden and norway during the winter (touring on skis with pulk), that environment and application is different from the forest. But I prefer the said combination there as well.

I would say that the army wool pants are more sensitive to getting wet, not in terms of insulation but in terms of weight. As I said, the wool pants take a long time to dry. This is well documented. We could do a field test if you like :)

I agree on one level, it is just that I know that the wool pants will keep me warm under just about any conditions, and that important. But I have a fetish for wool, so others are free to discount my preaching.

I got two pairs of such a pair as well; green "loden" wool with a 65/35 poly/cotton liner. Only one leg pocket, no lids on the fron pockets, but the pair that in use finally got a bit worn this fall, and therefore has knee and rear reinforcements, as well as lids for the front pockets.

Sounds very similar. Mine have pockets on both legs, zips and leather patches at the ankles, and a sort of axe loop. Probably would benefit from your mods too.
Hopefully another visit to Barkarby over Chistmas!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If your woollen trousers are sodden wet, either you're not letting enough air around them to let body heat evaporate the damp, or you're constantly reimmersing them in something :confused: I don't see how the layer system would work any better if it's the latter :dunno:

However, they can be made much more showerproof by simply relanolinising them (threads on forum) or simply soaking them in a bath or sink full of cold water with loads of fabric conditioner added. Let them soak for a couple of hours or so, let them drain, wring out wrapped up in a bath towel and then air dry.

cheers,
Toddy

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
If your woollen trousers are sodden wet, either you're not letting enough air around them to let body heat evaporate the damp, or you're constantly reimmersing them in something :confused: I don't see how the layer system would work any better if it's the latter :dunno:

However, they can be made much more showerproof by simply relanolinising them (threads on forum) or simply soaking them in a bath or sink full of cold water with loads of fabric conditioner added. Let them soak for a couple of hours or so, let them drain, wring out wrapped up in a bath towel and then air dry.

cheers,
Toddy

I have been on a trip where we dug snowshelters and stayed in them for 3 days after which we were supposed to continue on a one week skiing tour sleeping in tents. The temperature was around -4 to -2. The woolen clothes I was wearing (swedish army pants, jacket) had gotten too damp and I had gotten too sick to continue. Others with syntethic clothes had a hard time but they made it, the clothes were a lot better for the weather. There was not much wet snow or rain, just the dampness in the air and from working an afternoon digging the shelter and later not being able to dry. Polycotton, synthetic or goretex pants used with woolen longjohns underneath would have kept me going, together with a synthetic jacket. Because these would have been possible to dry in the wind.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I understand what you're saying, but the wool even when wet is warm :confused: No?
And, if the other fabrics could dry out in the wind, why couldn't the wool ?

On the other hand, yeah, woollen longjohns and waterproofs on top would be comfortable but they get sweaty and damp inside too.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE