Swazi Tahr Anorak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
I recently attended a Woodlore Tracking and Awareness course and one of the trainers was wearing a Swazi Tahr Anorak. I have found the Swazi NZ website and that of a supplier in the UK, but I wondered if anyone here has had experience with this jacket or has seen any reviews of it anywhere.
Cheers Andgrin :biggthump

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
I saw the new Ray Mears Bushcraft TV programme tonight and there was Ray butchering a deer while wearing a Swazi Tahr anorak. I expect there will be some more interest in this item now. :rolmao:
Cheers Andgrin :biggthump

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
the actual smock he wears is his own design the "elite" model and is only available from woodlore for £235, hope this helps, l like it but its a bit pricey

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I have a stack of Swazi gear and it is great stuff , dont have the tahr anorak though . I got my stuff pretty cheap from a chap who was importing it . I will post a link when I dig out his catalogue. :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
huntersforge said:
I have a stack of Swazi gear and it is great stuff , dont have the tahr anorak though . I got my stuff pretty cheap from a chap who was importing it . I will post a link when I dig out his catalogue. :)

This fella is about to make a lot of money I feel.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've had one for a little while. Yes, it's a sharp intake of breath at the price for 'just a shell' and an almost exclusively bushcrafty one at that, but it's bloody hard wearing, keeps out the rain really effectively, is well cut (maybe a little too generously for my liking), is made of a good quiet fabric and has superb cuffs and hood. The downsides? Well, a lack of hand-warmer pockets might be one as might weight but, overall, I am very pleased with mine. The pocket is just the right size for a PSK and other bits and bobs one might need.

Thinking about the price, it can be seen as steep, but, as with a good number of things available to the bushcraft community and in life in general, you pay a certain price for something that is well-designed, well-made and durable. Given those criteria, I'd say the Tahr or the Mears-tweaked version were reasonable value.

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Keep an eye on Tamaracks website for venues they are trading at. I picked my Tahr up about 18 months ago at a gamefair for £180 , as Tamarack seem to attend all the main ones. As mentioned, it is pricey, but does feel bombproof, quite like the extra pocket on the Woodlore one though. Dont particularly like the cuffs, i find then too tight to put your sleeves up, when gralloching a deer, for example. I think some merino wool cuffs like on a para smock would be better.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
A mate of mine has one of these Jackets and seems to stay dry in the rain. ;)

I'm seeing him on saturday night so I'll ask him how he's getting on with it.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Yer, I saw him...asked him about it and he said it was the best waterproof jacket he'd ever owned and that it had kept him dry in some pretty heavy weather.

He also said it was well worth the money but couldn't put his finger on why.

Anyway, he's a very very trusted source so if he says that they are top notch then they must be good.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE