Sven Saw & Collaspible Saws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
I've used a Laplander for quite a while but have been looking for a collapsible/folding bow saw. This one was mentioned by a friend and looks pretty good in terms of storage in a pack. Only thing is I've never heard if they're any good. Did a search and found the odd reference to it once or twice but nothing more than a mention.

So, does anyone have one and if so is it any good? Failing that are there any other recommendations for a similar design? These come in 15 or 21''.

Sven saw...

rqjt.jpg

You can pick them up on Amazon for £40 although Military Mart sold them for £32 but have been out of stock for a while.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
The Sven saw is very capable, although the triangular design can be a bit of a pain - you don't get to use the full length of the blade, especially on thicker pieces. So it's definitely not just like a regular bow saw, but it's obviously a lot more compact.

There are other collapsible/folding designs out there that have a square shape, but I've never used any of them so I can't comment. For example, there's the spendy but super-pretty Ray Mears jobby.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have the woodlore bow saw, it is an absolutely brilliant saw, it was a surprise birthday present so I don't have to pay for it as it is expensive. :)

Hope you get sorted mate! Hope this helps :).

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the suggestions. I have to say I really like the look of the Duluth 24''. Just watched a YT vid and my finger is hovering over the *add to cart* button. Looks neat and very practical.

The Ray Mear's job is also a fine looking saw although I'm not keen to spend that amount on one.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
neoaliphant, don't over tighten the saw, I have one of the original Survival Aids ones from many years back and the dimples pressed in to the ends of the saw blade can pull through the slots in the uprights making the whole thing useless. Also did it come with metal cutting blade?

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
neoaliphant, don't over tighten the saw, I have one of the original Survival Aids ones from many years back and the dimples pressed in to the ends of the saw blade can pull through the slots in the uprights making the whole thing useless. Also did it come with metal cutting blade?
Thanks Ozzy
The ends of the blades have holes like normal hacksaw blades, but with rivets through, no chance to pull through.
Only came with one blade. The blade length is 13", need to see about getting hacksaw blade to fit or make an adapter as hacksaw is 12", cant find any longer than 12"
It all folds together quite nicely. I dont use it at home tho, have fixed bowsaws for the woodshed.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Should be easy enough to make one of those wooden saws.

Absurdly easy - we ran a great competition on here back in '06 - people made them out of all sorts - I made mine out of broom handles

I have set myself a slightly odd challenge, which is to make a robust and stiff frame out of parts that are accessible to all. I'm aiming for under £5 and certainly no more than £10 including the blade

Here are the bits I've got together

318121500_d86fcf5eb8.jpg

I bought two hardwood broom handles, a length of 8mm threaded rod a blade (I got a bulk deal recently a bit of 10mm ally tube and a handful of wing nuts plus two 6mm coach bolts. Say about £6 all up - within a tenner even if I bought the blade retail.

I sawed the two 48” broom handles off into two 24” uprights with the “rounded part” at the top. One of the off cuts was slightly cut down to make the cross member. The rough layout will be something like this

318121498_e2d5ff33d0.jpg

Now I have measured the cross strut to the exact length of the blade (eye to eye). I wrapped some sandpaper around an offcut of the broom and "indented" each end of the cross strut so it will fit tightly against the upright like this

318121501_fc1fdc2756.jpg

This leaves the end of cross member this shape

318121496_2ca153979c.jpg

So the fit comes like this

318121493_42b23400b1.jpg

I'll lock the cross member in with a "pin and socket" arrangement using some threaded bar and a hole in the upright. More on that later.

So we have two uprights and a cross member that fits snugly between them. Time to get the drill out. A 10mm hols (the same size as the ally tube) is drilled right through the top of each uprights.

324229366_da3fddcb98.jpg

Another hole is drilled halfway through the upright about a third of the way from the top. The measurement needs to be the same on both sides.

324229364_33ddcd9642.jpg

Next job is to cut some lengths of ally tube the right size to line these holes

324229368_449ec432ba.jpg

These are glued in place (super glue works fine, but rough up the outside of the tube first to give it a key). The tube is then filed and sanded to the contour of the wood (ally is soft so this doesn’t take long)

324229369_f87ca9de07.jpg

Right that’s the hole at the top done for the tensioner and the sockets further down for the cross strut.

Next I clamped the cross strut and drilled a ¾” hole in each end

324229358_8055df7bb7.jpg

A piece of threaded rod was glued into this hole as shown below

324229361_376edcf5e2.jpg

This stud fits into the socket created earlier.

Next step is to turn the upright over. A 6mm hole is drilled through the upright at 90 degrees to the “through” hole drilled earlier. This is for the 6mm coach bolt that holds the blade in place. A saw cut is made to the correct depth to slot the blade in. A bit of trial and error is required to make the cut the right depth to align the coach bolt hole and saw blade hole.

324233858_eca20bf668.jpg

That’s pretty much it for construction. I then rubbed the whole thing down and gave it a wipe with some woodstain and then waxed it for protection

To assemble, bolt the blade in place, slot the cross member into the sockets and slide the threaded rod through the lined holes. Tighten the butterfly nuts at each end of the threaded bar and you are good to go. You will notice in the finished picture that the uprights are slightly “bowed”. This puts a great tension on the saw blade.

I guess there’s no more than an hours work in this and, if a klutz like me can do it, anyone can. The saw really does work very well with no “twisting” which I suspect is to do with the slight flex tensioning the wood

324233860_8876474989.jpg

Don't know how long it will hold up - slightly thicker wood might be an idea, but I'm happy enough for a first go

Not as pretty as some of those posted, nor as strong as others nor as well made as any I suspect. Not an entry either though :lmao: . I hope it encourages someone else to try and deprive me of my axe however :D

Red

Have a look through the original competition thread for some great woodwork and great free saws made from scavenged parts

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17189

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE