Suspending a non-suspendable pot over a wood fire --- ideas please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Most modern lightweight pots are designed to sit on a stove rather than be suspended over a fire. Recently whilst in Finlad I was dependant on a meths stove, which while quite up to the job was very heavy on fuel. If I could have suspended it over a wood fire I could have greatly reduced my meths consumption (3 litres in 11 days). I could drill holes in the pot and use chains but was wondering if there is a better way e.g. think of sitting the pot in an upside-down chain tripod.

Can use my pot here
DSC02412.JPG

But here, not so much!
DSC02453.JPG

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
how about some kind of wire cradle that you could sit the pan in. Should be light and not too bulky, might need an extra loop or 2 for stability (please excuse the 3 year old style drawing)

wire cradle.jpg

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
How about something like this. Gives you more cooking options over the fire as well.
If you are afraid of getting the inside of your pack dirty when you pack up, just hang it on the outside :cool::rolleyes:;)

bigb457f27big1e36992WEB_ImagePLID3396_0Dim600x600SMWAbsSMHMinSTrue_0_largeA.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Could you get something like a jubilee clip big enough to go round the pot and attach the chain/wire to that?

Somebody was using this method at a meet I went to recently, seemed to work quite well on the smaller pots, not sure how it would cope with a larger capacity though.

If it was me I'd drill it and put a wire coat hanger bail arm on it

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I made a cradle from 2mm copper welding wire that the pot sits in for my lipped pots.

I made a circle from the wire and joined it with a brass electrical clamp connector so it was adjustable for nesting pots if needed. Another piece of wire was bent to make the hanging wire. Being copper, it'll squash and bend easily for packing and didn't weigh much.

Stainless bicycle gear or brake cable would also work well.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There are ways I'm sure but would it not be much easier to buy something with a hanging handle/wire that way it's not a compromise.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Actually looks like the pot has a lip, so a hose clamp around the whole thing, to give you something to attach to?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You should have taken a Trangia 27. A smallish fire grill will do the job and is more effishient than a suspended pot as you can judge the amount of wood needed more easily.

I've got a spare grill as in post #6 you can have if you pm me your address and I'll pop it in the post to you.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Johnnyboy1971

There are ways I'm sure but would it not be much easier to buy something with a hanging handle/wire that way it's not a compromise.

As been said already, why not just buy another pot with hanger:confused:. Got to be cheaper than buying trivets of faf ar$eing around making a that'll do style hanger.
I've got loads of inexpensive pots with hangers:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIL-COM-B...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item4abadb32b2

£15 and ya get 3 of them with duel purpose lids easiest and simplest option I reckon!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Imagedude, Enjoyed your recent trip report - excellent.

On the brake cable idea you could use that and swage it or if you feel like a challenge and spiked finger tips splice it. Looks like a lipped MSR pot (titanium?)even very thin cable would support it. Simplest would be to make a swaged ring (B&Q, Chandlers, and Cosalt Lewis could all supply the wire and swaging tabs) and then make a hanging tripod of swaged wire & attatch it to the swaged ring a bit like the classic marhill Stormy classic hanging stove.

There's also a good thread HERE at Spiritburner on a guy taking a different approach, he does drill his pots though!

Good luck and let us see what you do.

Cheers GB.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I like the idea of wrapping a wire under the rolled lip but I like the idea a lot more of just putting the pot on a flat spot near enough the fire. I've actually never suspended a pot over the fire in the coals works well enough for me, I'm about as lazy as they come and if there's a direct way to do something that's fine for me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A lot of the origional Markhill Stormy stoves were used on big wall and route climbs where you may not have anywhere to put the stove down onto, they could hang them from climbing gear attached to the face or even suspend them in a tent to stop things getting knocked over when you were storm bound. It was the whole thing stove and pots that were suspended. Have played/used a few over the years, favourite being a converted MSR XGK which is a brute of a snow melter.Had a pressure bottle craddle the works.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
"Stainless bicycle gear or brake cable would also work well. "

And they appear to be free, just go to the local bike repair shop and ask for replaced wires, they'll dig a dozen from their trash :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE