Pot stand for a Trangia burner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Is such a simple cross stable enough for 2 litre pots?

If I use this construction I can boil water but not regulate the heat for real cooking isn't it?

I think I have seen simple pot stands made by Trangia but somehow don't find it anymore. Are they out of production?
Unfortunately I never payed much attention to spiritus burners. I personally used mainly wood or gas.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I definitely prefer the larger stand for anything big. It's not just the pot support that is wider but the base for the stove too.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Kadushu

Do you use it with the red camp burner?
Is it as good as the original one?

How long do you need to boil which amount of water at which temperature?
How much fuel do you need for it?

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
As far as I know it's the same or very close in performance to the original. It has a fairly gentle heat output so boiling water takes ages but it's about right for cooking without needing the simmer ring. Cooking with the Pathfinder 8 inch frying pan is a pleasure.

I've just done a boil test. 500ml of water at 12°C took 17.5 minutes to boil and used ~20ml of methylated spirits. That was in a 1.5l stainless steel kettle.

I repeated the test in a 750ml stainless steel Lixada pot and it boiled inside 16 minutes. Look at that beautiful blue flame

IMG_20220315_191625208.jpg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
As far as I know it's the same or very close in performance to the original. It has a fairly gentle heat output so boiling water takes ages but it's about right for cooking without needing the simmer ring. Cooking with the Pathfinder 8 inch frying pan is a pleasure.

I've just done a boil test. 500ml of water at 12°C took 17.5 minutes to boil and used ~20ml of methylated spirits. That was in a 1.5l stainless steel kettle.

I repeated the test in a 750ml stainless steel Lixada pot and it boiled inside 16 minutes. Look at that beautiful blue flame

View attachment 73180
Nice one for properly testing it :) was this inside or out? I'll do a test with the 25 trangia set

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Nice one for properly testing it :) was this inside or out? I'll do a test with the 25 trangia set
This was inside. I did a similar test outside last year and got a boil time of ~20 mins. Wind is really the enemy of the Trangia (or clone) so any reduction in that, such as using the cook set, is going to be a winner. If you really want to get all anoraky about stoves then the Paleo Hiker MD channel on Youtube has loads of tests and comparisons. I also recall he tested some kind of shroud that wraps around the stove and pot to keep the hot gas around the pot as much as possible to improve efficiency.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Thank you very much!

I will suggest him to buy that.
I have seen that the stove is offered by several brands, by the way, and for different prices.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Is such a simple cross stable enough for 2 litre pots?
I used the 1800 pathfinder pot (I also highly recommend this pot) on a small gas stove today, of similar sort of diameter to the supports you've been considering. I had no particular issues with stability, although I was careful. Unfortunately I utterly burnt and ruined my meal, but that is a separate issue.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's why I exclusively boil water for instant coffee.
Since a couple of years I consider trying such a peppermint tea bag, but am still unsure if I really should risk that.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
That's why I exclusively boil water for instant coffee.
Since a couple of years I consider trying such a peppermint tea bag, but am still unsure if I really should risk that.
I hope you're not expecting the same level of satisfaction from perppermint tea as you might get from coffee. You may be disappointed. Peppermint tea has its place in life but still...

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The trangia 25 is a great set. It's on the big size, but when you realise that you get two pans, a frying pan, a kettle, windshield and burner all in the same volume it makes a lot of sense. One of those large fold-a-cups fits in the kettle too, and the burner inside that. Brilliant bit of kit that I've used probably 100 times since I got it late last year.
Yeah for that sort of use it rocks.
My only advice is to go and find a container the burner fits in as the meths seems to stink out your kettle.
As a side note if you buy the Evernew burner you can put your pot or mug on top as it has more burner holes.
The other thing you might want to look at is one of those small cheap gas burners (£15 to £25) and that gives you a gas cooker and then the pot or pots is up to you however you can get cheap cook sets as well.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I went camping this weekend with my daughter. We took both the trangia (for her) and my UL gas burner.

For a pot stand, I made a cross shaped thing that sits on top of the trangia, similar to the lixada type shown earlier in the thread. I cut down an old metal ruler until I had 2 x 3in lengths of 1.5in wide bit of ruler. I then cut both pieces in the middle about 2/3 the way through. I can fit them into each other and sit them on top of the trangia to support a pot. Works a treat!.

Wind is the killer of the trangia, and the cold as well maybe. We went to boil 700ml of very cold water in the evening for rehydrating our meals. After God knows how long with the water just refusing to come to the boil, I whipped out my gas stove and within 3 minutes I was pouring the boiling water into our meal packets! .

I do love the trangia for its simplicity and 100% reliability, and of course its silent, not like the jet aircraft noise of a gas stove. But it just takes too long to boil water at the end of a long day in the hills or forest for my patience to endure!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I went camping this weekend with my daughter. We took both the trangia (for her) and my UL gas burner.

For a pot stand, I made a cross shaped thing that sits on top of the trangia, similar to the lixada type shown earlier in the thread. I cut down an old metal ruler until I had 2 x 3in lengths of 1.5in wide bit of ruler. I then cut both pieces in the middle about 2/3 the way through. I can fit them into each other and sit them on top of the trangia to support a pot. Works a treat!.

Wind is the killer of the trangia, and the cold as well maybe. We went to boil 700ml of very cold water in the evening for rehydrating our meals. After God knows how long with the water just refusing to come to the boil, I whipped out my gas stove and within 3 minutes I was pouring the boiling water into our meal packets! .

I do love the trangia for its simplicity and 100% reliability, and of course its silent, not like the jet aircraft noise of a gas stove. But it just takes too long to boil water at the end of a long day in the hills or forest for my patience to endure!

Boiling 1 L of water in a Trangia usually takes about 10 min. But that's using their cooking system as it was intended. If you start taking components out and using them differently, it's not surprising that they're not functioning as well as advertised. With the spirit burner, you really do need to have the windscreen and use it properly. If you are going to use the spirit burner on it's own, you do need to rig up some sort of wind screen.

It's also a good idea to pay attention to the distance between the burner and the pot. I get the feeling that some people who make collapsible stands for it, just want the smallest thing possible and don't take that distance into consideration at all.

Trangia now has a cold weather accessory for preheating the burner. Apparently it's good for temps below +5*C. For cool weather, I just pop the yellow plastic bag with the burner into the inner pocket of my jacket to warm it up a bit and it also helps to make sure the fuel is not too cold, by keeping it inside the backpack or in the tent with you for a while before using it. Having a jet torch type lighter also helps (especially in high winds).

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Boiling 1 L of water in a Trangia usually takes about 10 min. But that's using their cooking system as it was intended. If you start taking components out and using them differently, it's not surprising that they're not functioning as well as advertised. With the spirit burner, you really do need to have the windscreen and use it properly. If you are going to use the spirit burner on it's own, you do need to rig up some sort of wind screen.

It's also a good idea to pay attention to the distance between the burner and the pot. I get the feeling that some people who make collapsible stands for it, just want the smallest thing possible and don't take that distance into consideration at all.

Trangia now has a cold weather accessory for preheating the burner. Apparently it's good for temps below +5*C. For cool weather, I just pop the yellow plastic bag with the burner into the inner pocket of my jacket to warm it up a bit and it also helps to make sure the fuel is not too cold, by keeping it inside the backpack or in the tent with you for a while before using it. Having a jet torch type lighter also helps (especially in high winds).
Don't get me wrong, I like the trangia as a cooking system. It just isn't ideal for me. Of course, to get the best out of it, your advice here is the way to go.

For me, the majority of the time carrying the whole set up is just too much of a faff compared to firing up a gas stove!

Has anyone used the BCB solid fuel tablets? What are they like?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I dont want to derail the thread, but if they are just a cheap British copy of the great original German made Esbit, they are as slow and expensive as the original.
That means approximately as slow as spiritus but as expensive as gas cartridges. Simply genius, isn't it?

Solid fuel tablets are sensible for soldiers in the field because they don't explode and don't leak and you can carry just a little amount of that to heat a given soup, an instant coffee, a tea, or some kind of military meal. No weight, no smoke no additional danger.

Perfectly for a good Blitzkrieg, on the retreat you come back to camp fires should you find something to eat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadushu

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Don't get me wrong, I like the trangia as a cooking system. It just isn't ideal for me. Of course, to get the best out of it, your advice here is the way to go.

For me, the majority of the time carrying the whole set up is just too much of a faff compared to firing up a gas stove!
Yeah, for just heating up water (for tea, porridge or rehydrating meals) we usually take DH's jetboil.

I just meant that if you are going to use the Trangia spirit burner in something more lightweight, make sure you've got a windshield and that the pot is held at a suitable height over the burner.

Reactions: Erbswurst and TLM

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
that the pot is held at a suitable height over the burner.
As a first guess I would take the distance a Trangia has from the burner to the pot bottom. On std Trangias that seems to work pretty well, heats up without too much soot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE