survival kit nightmare

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Naturally he tried yelling but with no result.

Nobody came past. No forestry workers, the driving rain kept away the casual ramblers and dog walkers. He was there for almost 24 hours!
When he was found early on the Monday he was in a very bad way and he spent several days in hospital and several weeks recovering.

Sounds like he could have done with SPOT...

http://www.spot-messenger.co.uk/spot_geos911.html

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
If you're building a survival kit for the UK then there are only a few essentials.
In its construction you want to think about the things that will kill you fastest, and include items to ameliorate this.
Barring injury, the list goes like this.
  1. exposure
  2. thirst
I've not listed hunger.
A reasonably healthy human could walk the length of the UK without any food given a good supply of water. It's not really a priority, so forget about those snares and fishing kits, survival spears etc. This is a survival kit for the UK, you'll probably be picked up inside 72hrs, you're not going to starve to death.

so, 1. Exposure. this one is the big killer. Cold will get you faster than pretty much anything else.
If you are wet, you get cold faster, water conducts heat 25 times faster than air, any wind chill will only make this worse.
With this in mind, you want something to break the wind and keep you dry. I prefer a bivvy bag over a foil blanket, although If I was getting a blanket, the one I would pick up is this one. although these are well regarded.
I don't like the thin mylar blankets, they are a bit fragile and of limited use if it's windy, although that said, they're better than nothing.
A quick note on the claims of space blankets.
the heat they reflect is radiant heat. Most of your heat loss is by 1. convection or 2. conduction
They will help with 1. (because they block the wind, but then so will a bin liner) but will do nothing for 2.
You can get inflatable body warmers for survival kits, although I'm having a little trouble finding a link at the moment.

If the weather is bad, you'll probably need to add heat as well as retard its loss, so a method of lighting fire is a good addition, in fact more than one is prudent.
I pack a firesteel and tinder (cotton wool with vasaline in it for preference, Packed in drinking straws with the ends sealed) plus wrapped firelighter tablets, a disposeable lighter, waterproofed matches, and some innertube.
It's all very well being able to make a fire with natural tinder and a hand drill, but if I'm cold and wet and in need, I'm not messing around, I want a fire now!

For 2. Thirst.
Dehydration is the next big one. If you're dehydrated, it drags you down. The figure I have see quoted is that 2% dehydration leads to a 25% degradation of mental faculty.
What this means is that if you're not hydrated, you're not thinking clearly, and will make more mistakes that will only make your situation worse.
In your kit, you'll want some means of collecting, storing, and purifying water. Aquarium hose is good for getting water you can't reach. Storing, I like freezer bags (stronger than the old favourite, the condom, and easier to fill), purifying, A few purifying tablets are handy to have and take up little room. If you are storing your kit in a metal container, you can try boiling it, although most survival kit tins are far too small for this to be effective.

Other items.
In a kit, I would add a few other items, things that will aid in getting you rescued.
A signal mirror and a nice loud whistle.
Possibly a small knife and a compass
A length of string. Paracord is a bit bulky for a survival kit, a good cord for kits is the cord from Venetian blinds (as recommended by Mors Kochanski ;)), which can be picked up in B&Q etc.

If you have space I'd include boiled sweets, a couple of cereal bars and a brew kit (for morale) read this too!

If you're building a survival kit there are also a couple of books I recommend.
this one
and
this one
The second one is a little biased towards the US market, but it's still got a lot of good information in it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Is this kit something you will be carrying in the UK or do you have plans to use it in far away places?

This article, How to Build a Survival Kit on Bushcraft Principles, by Paul Kirtley (formerly of Woodlore) provides some interesting ideas for putting together a 'survival kit'.

:)

Last edited:

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I've put together a "Survival Kit" after I had a "oh god what if....." moment last Autumn. I'd taken my kids (6 and 3 yrs) and my sisters(15 and 12) up into the Yorkshire Moors for a walk ,whilst there were other walkers around and we were never more than 2 miles from a road I suddenly realised how easily things could turn bad.

If I twisted my bad ankle (old war wound -foot in a rabbit hole playing football round the back of the NAAFI at Barry Budden ,may have been a bit drunk at the time) It would have taken a couple of hours to get me down.

The wind was blowing and there was light drizzle ,if the wind had picked up, if the rain had got worse, if no other walkers could help, if there had been no mobile signal, if..........

The kit we had was suitable for a short walk in the conditions but I now carry :

Bothy bad, 2-3 persons will fit 2 adults and 2 kids
Cheep Poncho
4x Mylar blankets
Mini gas stove, mini pot
water
Hot chocolate drink
chocolate,dextrose sweets,moralibos
knife
lighter,matches tinder
whistle
mini torch
4xdisposable ponchos
Emergency phone charger(HTCs use a lot of power)

can't remember what else but the idea is to keep 4 people dry and fairly warm for 8ish hours.

The food and drinks total about 2000 calories and are a lot easier to adsorb than a fish, if you can catch one with a few feet of line and a hook.

It fits in a Snugpak rocket pak(?bumbag thing) and gets shoved in a daypack even on short strolls.

Any suggestions what I could add/delete would be welcome.:)

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
thankyou guys for all your opinions.

i can see the very valid point of such a kit and its appropriateness in a british landscape, therefore in essence the the only priorities that need to be addressed are;
shelter / warmth (short term )
hydration
energy (again short term )
and location ( the trusty perry whistle )

but given the size of the container ;
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/inde...ndle/fuseaction/products.detail/code/94210012

i felt that it could carry all useful items that i would potentially use. indeed mention was made of snare wire / sewing kit.
i would argue that if my lass and i were backpacking , a concise but extended box of tat and trinkets would indeed be useful.

how many times has your exhaust come loose and were in need of wire? ( maybe i've always owned crap cars! )

i should perhaps put a list up of items that i have in it now.
duality of purpose is a wonderful thing.

thanks jamie.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I make a distinction between a survival kit and an emergency kit.
An emergency kit can deal with things that are not strictly speaking a survival matter.
A repair kit for example.
I usually carry a repair kit in my rucksack.
Needles, thread, cable ties, steel wire, glue gun sticks, superglue, safety pins, super glue, duct tape.
Always a handy thing to have, especially when a buckle breaks.
Also a first aid kit.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Forget foil blankets, they have their use, but survival is not one of them.

"In 1984 two top Canadian anaesthesiologist did a series of experiments with twelve healthy volunteers, testing the thermal insulation properties of metallised plastic sheeting, (which is a 10 µm thick Mylar sheeting with thin aluminium coating.) Clear polyethylene sheeting and 100 per cent polyester thermal bed blanket.

The experiments were carried out on individual subjects sitting in a whole body calorimeter and covered first with a thermal bed blanket bag up to the neck. Then the three materials were tested, one at a time, over the original thermal bed blanket up to the neck. The temperature of the calorimeter was set at normal ‘operating room’ temperature of 18° C. Metallised plastic sheeting provided the greatest reduction in sensible heat loss of all three materials tested.
Over all they found that, there was a 29.7% saving in body heat between having nothing (or just a blanket) covering you and being covered by the metallised plastic sheeting, there was a 20% saving when just covered in a thermal bed blanket, and a similar reading for just being covered in a clear plastic sheet (19.3%) . I take to mean that difference between the three is about 9.7% saving.
However, their findings concluded.
“The reflective surface of the metallised plastic sheeting acts to reduce radiative (the difference between the incoming radiation energy and the outgoing radiation energy in a given climate system) heat loss from the body, while the very nature of the sheeting decreases convective heat losses by eliminating draughts”.
K.S. Chang PHD, R.T. Farrell BSC, J.W. Snellen MD PHD, F.G. King MD FRCP(C)

So most of the saving was made by keeping the ‘subjects’ out of the ever-present draughts.

Since then several others have also concluded that wrapping a body in clear plastic sheeting is just as efficient as Mylar, both, on paper at least, have testable benefits. However, a pre-warmed blanket provides as much protection over heat loss.
One problem that was found in the experiment was the amount of water vapour that condensed on the inside of the plastic materials (the anaesthesiologists recommended not using the Mylar and the plastic near any electrical equipment)"
I’m hazy on the maths but it seems to be that a ‘bin bag’ would be as effective as a space blanket on a warmish day, given the nature of the reflective coating of the foil blanket you are effectively preventing the sun from warming the person.
Foil blankets ‘work’ in four ways
Convection (Air movement carrying off body heat through evaporation of perspiration) a bin bag would work better, as it encloses the core body better
Conduction, (through contact with a cooler surface) bin bag would work as well as a foil blanket
Radiation this is the only thing that a foil blanket has going for it, even at the lowest rating the foil reflects at least 80% of the heat back towards the body. However, it also reflects as much of the sun’s rays away from the body
Evaporation a bin bag would surely be more effective as it fully encloses the core body and is as windproof as a space blanket

Give the energy of the sun is something like 500watts of energy per square meter and a bin bag (when worn) presents about half a square meter in size towards the sun at any one time, as does a space blanket, a bin bag will absorb most of that energy where as a foil blanket will reflect about 80% of the sun's warmth away.
Foil blankets are good for about an hour, after that the moisture they trap negates the reflective qualities of it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I make a distinction between a survival kit and an emergency kit.
An emergency kit can deal with things that are not strictly speaking a survival matter.

Also a first aid kit.

Thats a sensible approach Graham. Lots of stuff that may be perfect for some environments just are wasted in the UK. Out of curiosity, how many rescuers have spotted a flash off a signal mirror in the UK? Few if any I would guess, so the mirror is best suited for shaving in the morning. Whistle? Yes, from experience many years ago they do work. The sensible hiker dresses for the trip so clothing should be covered, space blanket, plastic bivvy bag, better still in the cold a http://www.readytoleave.com/Lifesystems-Blizzard-Bag/details/Froogle perhaps.

Maybe we should focus on an 'Emergency kit' rather than a survival kit, certainly for UK use, something the likes of climbers and hill walkers do as a matter of course (or should).

If I were still hiking I would give serious thought to the SPOT beacon John mentioned, but then, I like gadgets and technology.

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
. Maybe we should focus on an 'Emergency kit' rather than a survival kit said:
(or should) is the interesting comment there Richard, as I said in previous post I am amazed at the amount of people who do these mountain walks with no kit. Snowden seems to be the worse. I know its sort of commercialized because of the train and cafe but the dangers are still there. I was up Snowden last November with two friends and we saw what looked to me like young foreign students, in Jeans , trainers and generally coats and clothing you would wear for a night down the pub.

One of the girls looked completely frozen, I just looked through my pics from that trip thinking I might have a snap with them in back ground, but I have not. I wonder who advises these people, probably some one recommending Snowden is worth a visit, and that is as far as any advice goes.

I think your right about the emergency kit and survival kit. I would of thought that the survival kit is a bit more than gathering a few items and putting them in a tin, you need the knowledge and no how on how to use those items, but a emergency kit "I would say" is more down the lines of common sense, which a few seem to lack when on some of these walks.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
(or should) is the interesting comment there Richard, as I said in previous post I am amazed at the amount of people who do these mountain walks with no kit. Snowden seems to be the worse. I know its sort of commercialized because of the train and cafe but the dangers are still there. I was up Snowden last November with two friends and we saw what looked to me like young foreign students, in Jeans , trainers and generally coats and clothing you would wear for a night down the pub.

One of the girls looked completely frozen, I just looked through my pics from that trip thinking I might have a snap with them in back ground, but I have not. I wonder who advises these people, probably some one recommending Snowden is worth a visit, and that is as far as any advice goes.

I think your right about the emergency kit and survival kit. I would of thought that the survival kit is a bit more than gathering a few items and putting them in a tin, you need the knowledge and no how on how to use those items, but a emergency kit "I would say" is more down the lines of common sense, which a few seem to lack when on some of these walks.

Emergency kit is a much better notion. I can't see a fishing kit or snare wire being of much use on Snowdon, or a fire lighting kit for that matter as what is there to burn. I saw someone slip and fall on Snowdon last summer, I'd say a decent first aid kit is a sensible precaution. I carry some form of first aid kit everywhere after having developed blisters three miles into a walk and seeing them turn into open bloody sores on the three mile walk back. It's a matter of being prepared for the situation in hand. A torch, a whistle, bivi bag or survival bag, and a survival blanket (even if it not a lot of good to keep you warm, it is visible), spare food, extra clothes and something to drink.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Our School 'Expedition' club stressed from even before the first trip, the importance of emergency kit. This is back in the 60's but for eight children and two teachers we would carry a small tent, sleeping bag, first aid kit, Primus, brew kit and Chocolate. Each member then carried a plastic bivvy bag and extra chocotate bars etc. You were not allowed to eat the chocolate unless in trouble, teacher handed them out at the start of the walk and collected them in at the end.

Appropriate kit is more affordable now than ever but I still see walkers out if I'm on the Brecon road for instance, who are not matched to the weather. The problem for many, tourists especially, is that as our little Welsh mountains are not much over 3000' they think the weather cannot change in the blink of an eye and kill them.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
This is an interesting thread and I agree with much of what has been said by others. I'll second the post directing folks to Paul Kirtley's blog http://paulkirtley.co.uk/ where he writes about survival kits, essential carry items and hypothermia prevention amongst other subjects directly relevant to this thread. Having been on a Woodlore course run & developed by Paul which looked at survival/ditch kits I'd say he's got this sussed and I'm now carrying a kit very like his when I'm out. You can always add/remove items so you carry what is appropriate for your environment as you wish, but always keep the basics and you'll have the kit you need if you are unfortunate enough to have to rely on it. Putting my kit together was fun too, so I'd go ahead with your Trangia Mess Tin kit plan. It's about the same size as the pouch I'm using so I think it's a good choice.

DewDiffren't

Feb 26, 2011
Norfolk
I would advise against carrying the foil blanket in any survival/emergency kit and go for the poly 'survival' bag everytime. Police Patrol cars carry the foil blankets as standard and on the occasion that I needed to use one, each blanket I opened simply shredded in my hands like silver confetti, i presume through degradement of the material. After the third blanket did this I gave up and used my coat instead! My parents bought my orange survival bag twenty years ago for my first Scout trip and despite use as a groundsheet/kit protector/sleeping bag etc it is still servicable and in one piece. If you carry something 'just in case' then you need to be sure it will work when you want it.

Secondly, do mobile phones/chargers really count as emergency/survival kit in a bushcraft environment? Doesn't it go against the whole 'self reliance' ethos? How many people had mobile 'phones 20 years ago but still ventured out into the hills and managed to get back?
Will Police/Fire/Ambo/Coastguard/Mountain Rescue still be able to respond immediately after the Public Sector cuts/reduction in charity donations?
You may only be 20 minutes from the nearest road, but will there be anyone on the road prepared to stop and offer assistance? Even in the UK there is a place for emergency/survival kits of some sort. I also have the trangia mess tin as a basis for my kit and follow the same shelter/water/location principles mentioned in other posts, coupled with a good FAK. Bergens/rucksacs by their nature are cumbersome and are frequently taken off when out and about. Each time the pack is removed it is an opportunity to be seperated from your usual kit. A belt pouch will have a better chance of staying with you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE