Kit list for two nights in Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
13.5 square metres of tarp, a full change of dry warmer clothes, emergency blanket, a sleeping bag rated to -21 (extreme), enough resources to start a 1000 fires and a maximum 15 mins run to the nearest civilisation is my sort of thinking. Protecting my wicker layer is not.

Taking waterproofs would indeed be good advice, if I wasn't prepared in other ways. If I go fell walking for the day I take waterproofs no matter the season, but I don't have a tarp etc. so it makes sense.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Homemade pothanger for stainless bottle

You mentioned you're taking a small stove to cook on, the bottle hanger is not needed?

LK35 + kidney belt

Small uncomfortable pack - Check. The fact you're strapping lots of stuff to the outside says it's the wrong tool for the job I think. I have owned one and they're ok if you pack light and travel short. I actually got rid of my fabric and use just the frame for carrying fire wood.

Awl + thread

Something special planned?

Hatchet + Saw

If you're just running a small wood stove, you're not going to need the saw for processing wood, anything thin enough to go in a small stove won't need a saw.

Battery pack (For recharging head torch and/or phones)

The days are long, you already have a spare battery for your torch, turn your phones off and enjoy your time - battery packs are heavy.

2x climbing grade carabiners

For?

What are you carrying your rubbish out in? Bin bags work well for storing things you want to keep dry as well as things you want to throw away when you get to civilisation.

How are you dealing with your poo - carrying it out of burying it and burning the paper? How will you bury it?

Perhaps a pocket sharpening stone for your axe and knife?

Light weight waterproof / windproof jacket - something to put on while you're in your spare/dry clothes and are hanging your wet clothes up to dry. Yes you may wear quick drying clothes but you're not going to sit in them being miserable while they do dry and if it's still wet and windy (as Dartmoor loves to be!) you don't want your dry set getting wet too.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2013
Hampshire
Dartmoor's awesome, I get out there ever chance I can to do some solo wild camping and unwind. I was on the moor yesterday and can't imagine how cold you would have been without waterproofs. Ambient was 14C and there was a 40mph wind, and lots & lots of rain. Not trying to labour the point, but it would be a big mistake not to take waterproofs (jacket, trousers, and hat).

Dartmoor byelaws make it illegal to light open fires (for good reason - most of Dartmoor is peat, which burns, sometimes for days) but you are allowed to use a gas burner or solid fuel stove. Make sure to place it on a rock or something else non flammable and not the ground.

If you do go camping in the woods (as I assume you are with the hammock) then I would urge you to be very cautious of widow makers. Last time I was in Fernworthy (a common bushcraft destination) there were widow makers everywhere, the same will be true for a lot of forests on Dartmoor. The high winds from yesterday will have made the situation worse.

Not trying to be all doom and gloom, but realistic. Stay safe and have fun. :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That's a heavy looking load out. I would question why you're taking the axe. You can't really have a fire there, and you can't legally chop trees down without the landowners permission...

Cooking in a stainless bottle is doable, but it's perhaps not the most versatile option. IMHO, you're better off having a dedicated cooking pot (I like the Tatonka ones), and then using a light bottle like a empty coke bottle.

Other than that, a pretty classic heavy British bushcraft loadout. Have a good trip.

J

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
I have to ask how did your trip go? Was that bag ok? I was never convinced by it to be honest.

It was great thanks. Sunday 21st was horrendous weather, couldn't see more than 5 metres ahead, but the following two days were lovely.

The bag was okay, not great but I wasn't expecting that as it was overloaded. After cutting out a few other bits I don't think I could have cut down much more without purchasing lighter/smaller kit. If I do a multi-night wild camp with the missus again, I'll probably invest in a different bag, I'd like to get a smaller sleeping bag for summer next too... but that can wait until next year.

I may do a wild camp in the Surrey Hills in a few weeks time (without the other half), so I'll post a solo kit list for that if I do.

A couple of people mentioned the hatchet/saw. It's a Gerber Gator Combo II, weighing in at 800g for the hatchet and saw combined. This was used to create pegs/canopy poles for the tarp and make a digging stick. I could have got away with just my knife, but I like to craft and practice with the tools I like and the axe was far safer and more efficient than trying to do too much with a small knife.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Good to hear it went ok.

I think the only thing I didn't like on Dartmoor was the mess other people had left. I encountered broken wine bottles, beer cans, remnants for large camp fires, empty food packaging, butchered pine trees etc. It's sad that the only part of the UK you can legally wild camp in is treated in that manner.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Aye you need to travel off the beaten track in some places. Dare I ask about waterproofs, did you bring them/need them? Remember you can wild camp in the Lake District as long as you're on high fell. Come to Scotland loads of wild camping, I moved up here from Plymouth so know Dartmoor well. I work around the Scottish coast and frequently forgo the hotel to wild camp, love it.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Things like that are okay for emergency use, having a saw blade that doesn't lock is really dangerous so bear that in mind if that's something you use. Thanks for the suggestion.

Surprised to hear that, hasn't been a problem for me in the last twenty or so years cutting walking sticks, tent pegs, tarp poles etc but each to their own :)

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Haha I didn't take any waterproof clothing, my bag was protected though, personally I just got wet. As soon as the tarp was up, I was dry in 10-15 minutes (without removing clothes), the reduction in body temperature was more than welcome!

I go to the Lake District once a year, next year I may be heading to the Cairngorms too. I don't mind camping illegally (at my own risk of being turfed out or accidentally shot), as there isn't a lot of choice otherwise in these parts, I'm considering buying a few acres of woodland in Hampshire, West Sussex or Surrey but the cost is pretty high!

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
I think the only thing I didn't like on Dartmoor was the mess other people had left. I encountered broken wine bottles, beer cans, remnants for large camp fires, empty food packaging, butchered pine trees etc. It's sad that the only part of the UK you can legally wild camp in is treated in that manner.

Yeah, apart from pretty much all of Scotland...

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
God yeah that's why you can't wild camp around Loch Lomond anymore.

Never was a huge fan what with that A82 road buzzing away up the west coast of Lomond. Unfortunately it has just displaced the problem, and I have seen an increase in rubbish in other areas of the Trossachs like Loch Chon (or Loch of-ten-thousand-midgies as I've renamed it)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE