Overnight kit roundup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nicksteele1990

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2016
Cheshire
Slowly but surely, I'm getting ready for an overnighter. I've never wild camped before, and never camped solo, it's always been a lad's holiday sort of thing, in a small group, slinking back into the campsites at 2am trying not to make any noise. (Happy to say we didn't disturb anyone!)

So, with an eye to lightness and portability, here's the first list of my kit.

Top row:

Tarp, sleeping bag, hammock and about 20 metres of paracord.

Second row:

1l water bottle, Clas Ohlsson's own trangia knockoff, Swiss army mug and a LMF spork.

Third row:

Headlamp, small torch, spare laces, because I have the worst luck in the whole world, a compass (not much use without a map, I know, but I'd rather have it and not need it... has a mirror too.), foil blanket, a folding saw, a UKPK, and a portable spade.

Bottom row:

Tinder box, hexi tabs and fatwood, to use as firelighters, firesteel, and a lighter. Don't mind having a bit of redundancy in this row. And obviously the backpack the whole lot goes in.

The total weight of the whole lot, including a litre of water is only 6.8kg, or 15 pounds, and plenty of space left in the bag too.

Obviously, there's no food in there, but a tin of curry, a bag of rice and a tin of beans and some bacon for breakfast won't add much more than another kilo in total. Nor will a a book, a toothbrush, some hand soap and some toilet paper.

Have I missed anything glaringly obvious?

I might end up replacing the trangia clone with some mess tins and a gas stove, which won't add much more weight and should pack a little neater, and I could swap the ukpk and the saw for a sak farmer, to save even more space and weight.

Any suggestions?

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
That looks like a good set up. Just remember it is getting pretty cold at night now. What rating is your sleeping bag? You may need a pad or more insulation under / over your bag, or perhaps just plan to sleep in your warm clothes and hat inside the sleeping bag.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You will definitely need a pad unless it's middle of summer. The pressure points at shoulders, knees, bum etc effectively render the loft of the bag useless.

Take wetwipes instead of soap.

rickwhite

Aug 7, 2014
Cheshire, UK
Some sort of first aid kit?
Mine always lives in my pack and goes with me even for a day out hiking. Unless Im taking a tiny pack in which case a mini kit goes with me instead.

Also, additional warm clothing in case the weather goes colder.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
If you're actually going wildcamping instead of an overnighter at a place you know, i'd ditch the saw i think. Reason for this: I don't know how it's like over there, but wildcamping here is already against the law (just like there), and i think you don't want to add "destruction of property" in case someone sees you. And regardless of the law: unless it's your land or the land of someone you got permission to use, and to saw stuff off, you just don't do things like that. (Same goes for fire, i know someone who just started a small camp fire, someone saw it, police was notified and they explained that they wouldn't make something of it if he moved off right that moment, but if the landowner wanted to, he could press charges.)

Last edited:

bearbait

Slowly but surely, I'm getting ready for an overnighter. I've never wild camped before, and never camped solo, it's always been a lad's holiday sort of thing, in a small group, slinking back into the campsites at 2am trying not to make any noise. (Happy to say we didn't disturb anyone!)

So, with an eye to lightness and portability, here's the first list of my kit.

Any suggestions?

A silencer for the guitar?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
All looks pretty good to me.
If its your first solo keep it simple and go gas, less hassle, less noise (wood prep) and the gas won't give you away like a fire could. This way you can ditch the saw.
Deffo have a sleep mat of some description as said above.

Last thing, double up on your water or even three litre. It's getting cold out and plenty of hot drinks to keep the cold out.
Also helpfull for cleaning up after cooking.
Also it's nice to see someone going out with a folding knife but don't forget your FAK.

nicksteele1990

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2016
Cheshire
The sleeping bag's a 2 season one, so I doubt I'll get out before March, unless I get a better rated one, or a good mat. Ditching the saw seems like a good idea too, as I don't really plan on any carpentry. Wetwipes, waterproofs and a little FAK are definitely on the list of things to add as well!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Warmer bag, double up on the ground insulation and get out there. Surplus bivi bag would also be a good idea. Less than £30 usually and a bit of kit that you will never regret buying.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Warmer bag, double up on the ground insulation and get out there. Surplus bivi bag would also be a good idea. Less than £30 usually and a bit of kit that you will never regret buying.

+1 to get out and have a go. Take extra layers and a bivi bag. Wear a balaclava in bed to keep head and neck warm.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The sleeping bag's a 2 season one, so I doubt I'll get out before March, unless I get a better rated one, or a good mat. Ditching the saw seems like a good idea too, as I don't really plan on any carpentry. Wetwipes, waterproofs and a little FAK are definitely on the list of things to add as well!

Snugpak poncho packs small and light. Whole body cover for something about the size of a beer can.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
You can only learn so much from the collective wisdom, some things you just have to try and experience for yourself. So good luck and enjoy yourself :)

Thoughts:

• If you're carrying paracord do you really need spare bootlaces?
  • Unless burying sacks of money or a body do you really need a shovel?
  • If getting to & from wherever you're going by own vehicle then you could leave the washkit in it for an overnighter.
  • Water! One litre == two cups of coffee and just enough to boil up some rice. For 24hours at least 2 litres is more realistic minimum amount.

Remember if you die we split your gear, so always tell somebody where you are going.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE