Survival bag vs survival blanket in the mountains.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
How small are the survival bags when folded?
Are they about the size of an OS map but thicker?
Could they be folded over again to make them smaller?
I'm wondering if they'd fit into a small(ish) pouch 7 x 5 inch...

Just measured mine (top right)
IMG_1780.jpg

It's 73mm x 83mm x 54mm

It's in a cylindrical pouch, but it does flatten out like a folded tortilla

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Some good advice in that video.

Personally i tend to go into the bag feet first then wrap the the opening around my head with my face sticking out.

The hole and candle trick would be good in still lowland conditions, i really wouldn't want to cut a hole in my emergency bag if it was really windy though, as once a tear is started it's extremely easy for it to open up on most the plastics used on the cheaper emergency bags.

I'd also want to test the flammability of my bivvy bag before putting a candle inside.
If it only melts then the risk might well be worth it, if it's a a bag with some sort of flammable coating then i wouldn't risk it.

Saying that i have never once taken a candle out with me, so it's not really something that applies to me and the type of outdoors activities i do any ways.

If you ask me that is about most ridiculous and stupid way to use a bag I could possibly think of, certainly not how it is designed to be used, and has anyone actually used a candle in a plastic bag?

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I would suggest she carries a bothy bag. A two person one. If she gets cold or wet it's easily pulled over and setup for someone with cold hands. She can then setup other kit etc as she will have her bag right there. The trick is she will be totally protected form the elements while doing this. If your hands are in a survival bag, they won't be any good for manipulating kit etc. hands down the bothy bag is the best practice kit.

Nick

Brynglas

An orange survival bag is cheap and effective, they make a good rucksack liner, a) because they're waterproof and b) because the light colour makes it easy to find stuff in your sack. There's no reason to ever be without one! Many people use these orange sacks by entering feet first , they're far more effective if you enter them head first and bring the bag down to your legs. If condensation builds up poke a small hole in the corner. Survival blankets weigh very little so it's worth carrying one but in any sort of wind they're a real nuisance.
Also, a real passion of mine, take some time to give your girlfriend some mapreading and navigation instruction, get her to navigate for the group. It's a great way to build confidence and she's far less likely to get separated.
I agree with what others have said, everyone should have their own gear, including map and compass with the ability to use them.
Bothy bags are great and obviously recommended, but properly used an orange sack works well. I definitely wouldn't use a candle in one though and a small hole poked in the top generally doesn't develop into a tear, unlike survival blankets which shred easily, they're better used stuffed between clothing layers.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks cbr6fs - do you have the measurements for the dirt cheap plastic ones too?

Nope, i don't have any plastic cheap ones to weigh.

My logic being that IF i need to use my emergency bivvy bag then it's a pretty bad day, so i'd sooner stack the odds more in my favor and use one from a reputable company.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as others have said spend £30 on a bivvi bag mate, performs much better will keep you warmer and can use it for camping too....add a light weight sleeping bag in a dry bag and your good to go....add a decent torch and spare batteries some chemical lights sticks ( 1 with 1.5 m of strong cord on it to call in a heli if needed ) emergency rations, some dried fruit flapjacks and bits. if its really going to be cold out some hot chocolate powder and a jet boil, could save your life....

as to the OP use a bag, its flat enough to slide down the spine of your pack and not even know its in there....

regards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE