Survival air rifle, modified, sawn-off, easily packable

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
As has been said he hasn't broken the law as it will still be classified as an air rifle without it being re-designated by a RFD. Also the barrel length restrictions only apply to licensed firearms and not off the shelf, sub 12ft/lb air rifles.

If you were to do this though it really does defeat the purpose of the initial rifle. The barrel length provided on a standard rifle is normally optimised with the rifling to allow the best power curve over time. By shortening the barrel thus reducing the length and rifle it becomes even more inaccurate and ineffective. Just stick with a normal designed carbine or pistol (although I would not advocate using a pistol for any hunting or culling)

If it's over 6 ft/lb muzzle energy and has a removable or foldable stock it must not be able to fire with the stock removed or folded. The current air-arms tdr has an interlock to prevent it being fired with the stock removed. Cut the stock off an air rifle to make a pistol grip and it becomes a prohibited weapon.

Dave

No not true ( Air weapons are Exempt the length restrictions ................)

tho the TDR does have its power reduced when stock off it will fire This i think is just AA being careful as The Law dons not state any such thing and is very clear that a weapongun remains the designation that it was manufactured as

you can fire any air rifle with the stock removed

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
IMHO I would opt for a .22 rim fire rifle infavour of an air rifle, cheap ammo, small and light and plenty big enough bark to get food for the table in a total survival situation that is, anything bigger will just shread things like Wabbit and Fowl.

Would you grant John Jay Rambo a firearm certificate? I wouldn't trust him with a non locking pen knife! He can't even paint! Frankly I'm shocked. That's one point to the Anti-gun crowd.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
If it's over 6 ft/lb muzzle energy and has a removable or foldable stock it must not be able to fire with the stock removed or folded......

can someone point me towards the relevant legislation for this please, i'm really quite curious to see what the law actually says on this issue

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd recommend binning that idea and getting a FAC and buying a proper .22 survival rifle but maybe not to him.....

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Agreed. Carry some cash, a phone and a small rat pack. Where in the uk are you likely to be stranded long enough to need a dedicated survival rifle? If abroad carry a .22 or something more capable.
In the uk I am always a bit weary of people who refer to things as "survival". Surely a survival knife is just a knife?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The purpose of owning one of these things is to make it easier to covertly carry it around/into the wild. This implies that one doesn't have the permission to shoot there and thus the law will be broken anyway (armed trespass?). If one has permission then carry a proper, full size accurate weapon and get decent results.

If faced in a survival situation in the UK you'd be better off raiding supermarket & restaurant bins

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Conventional wisdom dictates that if you want to poach animals on land where you don't have permission, you use a folding catapult that can be stuffed in a pocket.

"Honest, guv'ner, just out for a walk....."

Conventional wisdom is still correct. Also the consequences of being found with a Black Widow stuffed in your jacket would be far less problematic than a sawn off air rifle.

Of course, I would never endorse criminality..... unless you're really hungry ;)

Agreed - its like the term "bushcraft knife" - its just a knife. Stupid term.

Oh I dunno, I think it is meant to give you some information about the knife's intended use. A bushcraft knife will ideally be optimised for wood carving, battoning and if a R.Mears copy have a nice square ground spine for firesteels. A fruit knife is for cutting fruit. A paring knife is for intricate peeling and cutting of foodstuffs.

A survival knife is for running into the woods wearing nothing but an over the shoulder knife sling and camo paint....... something I'm sure we all do regularly ;)

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think the funniest thing about this terrible idea, is the fact it's been made for 'survival'! How are you going to survive with a £40 air rifle that's been butchered beyond practical use?

You can just about hit a bean can at 20 metres with a standard non mutilated SMK B2, just imagine how terrible it is now.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think the funniest thing about this terrible idea, is the fact it's been made for 'survival'! How are you going to survive with a £40 air rifle that's been butchered beyond practical use?

You can just about hit a bean can at 20 metres with a standard non mutilated SMK B2, just imagine how terrible it is now.

Get your facts straight - he clearly said this was a £25 air rifle :D :D

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
According to this site it's John Jay Rambo's birthday today. Happy Birthday fella, lets hope you don't need to use the survival rifle today!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
In a real 'survival' situation I'd prefer a shotgun. What makes the video worse are the tattoos, I detest them on women and hate them on chaps, I'm not into self mutilation, even for art's sake so can't take the guys video's seriously.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
In a real 'survival' situation I'd prefer a shotgun. What makes the video worse are the tattoos, I detest them on women and hate them on chaps, I'm not into self mutilation, even for art's sake so can't take the guys video's seriously.

That's great, thanks for sharing your opinion on tattoos again Rik!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE