The Morakniv® Bushcraft Survival Knife - Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The Morakniv® Bushcraft Survival Knife

P1030266-1024x576.jpg

Mora of Sweden have been a big name in Bushcraft knives for a very long time, widely regarded as the best entry level knife maker and their knives are issued on Bushcraft Courses all over the UK and beyond.

The quality and cost are also two things that make Mora unique in this modern world, They produce excellent quality tool's for a very affordable price. With 120 years behind them they have revamped their range and had a go at improving on the classic Clipper range of knives.

While i own a few old Mora Clippers, I don't use them on a day to day basis any more, some years ago i settled on an old Ray Mears designed Wilkinson as my all purpose knife. I love that knife and consider it among the best knives that you can get.

So with that in mind, that is where my comparisons will be coming from during this review.

MoraKnife-1024x576.jpg

First impressions - This feels heavier than a normal Mora Knife, in a good way. The Rubberised handle feels comfortable and is of good quality, The handle is smooth and feels solid with a pale green Rear Bolster to aid you in finding it if you drop it. The Grip itself is black. The blade is Stainless Steel. The whole thing look's quite slick.

MoraKnife.Unsheathed-1024x576.jpg

The Sheath is an eye catcher as most people who are familiar with Mora Knives will know that the biggest draw back with their knives is actually the sheath, usually a moulded plastic tub which the knife clicks into which while sufficient comes with a large draw back of no belt loop. Mora have consistently opted for a clip instead of a belt loop in their clipper designs and this has been the cause of many a lost knife - which can be a real problem.

It is important to note that in order for Mora to produce a better sheath, their prices must go up so all in all it is fair to say that they do the best that they can while remaining in the price rages that people expect from them. Well, This the Bugatti Veyron of Mora Knives, It is a more expensive knife at £60 and you do get a lot more for you money.

Mora.Bushcraft.InLog_-1024x576.jpg

For example a 2.5mm thick Swedish Stainless blade with an interesting angle on the bevel, a Fire Steel which slot's into an innovative gripping system, a Diamond sharpening stone moulded to the outside of the sheath and to address the concerns about the traditional belt clip, they have included an option to fit either a belt loop or a belt clip.....and in doing so have created a weakness between the belt clip / loop and the rest of the sheath. *Why they cant just go with a belt loop and be done with it i don't know but there you have it.

I field tested the knife today, in order to be fair i did not take my usual knife and went to the woods with just the MoraKniven Bushcraft Survival Knife with the aim of starting and maintaining a fire for the day and carving a spoon.

The fire was started with some birch bark and the included Fire Starter, easy enough, i did find that it was hard to slot the Fire Starter back into the sheath with one hand but i guess with experience that will become easier. The knife shaved up the Birch Bark quite well, as can be expected, Morakniv® shipped the knife with a razors edge so no surprises there.

The Fire Starter is like all Fire Starters - Pretty good although when *new it requires considerable force to produce hot enough sparks. There is a lanyard hole ready for you to attach some paracord if need be. Importantly, Morakniv® have ground the back of the knife specifically to produce the best angle for striking sparks. They got it right this time.

Before this i had collected some firewood and even though the Morakniv® Bushcraft Survival Knife is lighter than my usual knife, the belly of the blade gives you the option of some light chopping for limbing smaller branches. It made light work of pretty much everything i put it in front of to be honest and i was pleasantly surprised by how efficient it was at cutting compared to my very good Ray Mears Wilkinson knife.

By now i was slightly excited at the prospect that i had found something better than my well loved day to day Ray Mears Wilkinson knife.

I began to split some fist sized diameter Scot's Pine using a baton, the log just fell apart with no problems. Top marks there.

As a workhorse knife, The Morakniv® Bushcraft Survival Knife ticks all the boxes and excels in every area.

What about carving?

I like carving as much a the next man, however, i do find the task of hewing out a shape and removing lots and lots of wood quite boring and frustrating at times so with a lump of dead Birch, here goes nothing...

The MoraKniven Bushcraft Survival Knife made short work of that lump of Birch, I actually had to adjust my carving technique as the blade was just cutting like a hot knife through butter. This is a serious cutting edge and bevel angle, perfect for removing lot's of wood in a precise manner as long as your expecting it, caught unaware and you'll go straight through the work piece!

P1030287-1024x576.jpg

I'm very impressed with this knife and recommend it to both beginners and experienced people alike.

For balance, although the sheath is a large improvement from the Clipper / Companion range (and for the the cost of this knife you would expect a good sheath), it is still lacking in security. The inclusion of interchangeable belt loop and belt clips was a step in the right direction and a nicely engineered clipping mechanism does make this an easy thing to change. What it also does is add a point of weakness which could very well leave you with just a piece of plastic on your belt one day instead of the whole thing. During the testing this did not happen and perhaps i am jumping the gun a bit, but if you see the state of my toughened leather sheath for my other everyday knife you may understand my concern that after prolonged use, the wear and tear on a seemingly unnecessary weak point may well lead to loosing the knife.

This can be easily solved by replacing the sheath with a leather one.

MoraKnivenBeltLoop2-1024x576.jpg

An excellent knife but the sheath does not quite do it justice although the diamond sharpening stone is a welcome addition.

Price - About £60

Recommended for - Beginners to Advanced users alike

Recommended uses - Everything - Carving, Day to day use, Splitting etc..

Some technical information

MoraKniven.BuschraftSurvial.jp  g

3/4 Length Tang

Stainless steel (S)
Knife blades are made of hardened stainless steel- Sandvik 12C27 (hardened to HRC 57-58), producing knives with extreme strength, long life as well as having high resistance to moisture without rusting.

Boot Notes

* Mora have informed me that the reason that they opt for the belt clip over the belt loop is because in Scandinavia there is a higher demand for a clip which attaches to a button, presumably on clothing or equipment. Fair enough.

Update: 19th Feb 2012

I have been using this knife as my primary knife now for nearly two months. I have only had to sharpen it twice which was a fantastic surprise. My old knife was Carbon Steel which meant frequent sharpening, this one however is still razor sharp despite heavy use.

I'm more satisfied with this knife than ever before. I still don't like the sheath but the bade is second to none.

I highly recommend this knife.

*The fire starter has some oxidised stuff on the outside, the black stuff, once you scrape that off it produces nice hot sparks with ease due to the specially ground angle on the back of the blade.

* Here is a video explaining how to use the new belt loop system - [video=youtube;MdblaXXCEVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdblaXXCEVM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

www.BushcraftandSurvival.com

Last edited:

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
Are replies to reviews not allowed? I hope it is.
I have not seen this in any stores around here so it was interesting to read your thoughts on it. It looks very nice, could have been made laminated or with triflex instead of stainless steel, but maybe they do not think users will clean their veyron mora.

£60 is sure a lot for a morakniv (bah humbug @ buying all other knifemakers in Mora and then registering something that has been around in various forms for over a century as a trademark) even with the sharpener and firesteel. The plain bushcraft version goes for about £30 if I am not mistaken, so those extras are adding as much on top of that price. I am quite happy with my Frosts mora viking in carbon steel and a red hollow plastic handle I got 20 years ago for 19SEK (£2).

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Good review - thanks for that.

Question though - if I'm reading this right, you're saying this is an excellent blade for relatively light-duty work (2.5mm), which is fair enough - it's not designed for heavy batoning!

However, it will probably need a new leather sheath, which means the slip-on/clip-on cover carrying the firesteel and sharpener will probably not fit, or will add more cost to the new sheath to make fit. So, overall cost including new sheath etc will be circa £100 or thereabouts. At that price-point, is it really that good a buy, considering what else is available?

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
One thing that seems to to often be forgotten is that moraknivar were previously never sold for bushcraft or survival use. Thus they worked fine for allround-use in the shed, in the backpack or on the belt of a construction worker without using a full tang design or a very secure sheath. It is only a couple of years since I guess they must have realized money is not (only) in making cheap knives for the masses but in making specialty knives for subcultures and now also most recently for the tacticool community with their camoflage editions of the mora forest. The change to English model names reflects this while the older ones went by simple model numbers (well the Viking, Clipper, and Mora 2000 had names). Because they were so cheap there were really not much use discussing their qualities and fault when you could just buy another one for £10. And back when there were many independent makers of Mora-like knives the industrial epoch had already begun so there were not really any survival going on in Sweden that needed knives like say a Bowie or machete, for such uses everyone who needed to cut wood had at least one axe. Modern survival might occur on expeditions or during wartime when people have business to the few uninhabited areas that are left.

In my opinion the survival word seems like it implies something that is made to withstand a lot of use and abuse which in theory could be useful in a survival situation deep in the woods. But unless you travel into the Russian taiga or amazon first such woods are nearly impossible to find nowadays which you can not walk out of in a couple of hours maximum. So in conclusion, the term "survival" is a marketing term which is supposed to let buyers of knives know that this is a less delicate knife with may very well be sacrificing general usefullness for improves durability and longevity and is more of a boost to morale than a tool you will find much use for day-to-day.

This has not been a reply to something that has been said above, just a general remark because of what I believe might be misconceptions about what a Morakniv is, or at least what it traditionally has been designed to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE