Surplus jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Looking at getting myself another jacket, mainly to replace my montane (I'd get shot by SWMBO if I trashed it).

Looking at getting M65 or british surplus, be it ripstop or not.

Any recommendations or thoughts folks?

Al

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
If you do go for a DPM Jacket have a look at SASS ehtier direct from their shop or sometimes off ebay.

They get plenty of mentions here and on other sites.

I have the Kit Karry Model and its excellnet!

Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
I've got a repro M65 jacket and i love it not sure of the make but it's good all year round with the zip in\out liner. very hard wearing and well made too.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
SASS smock. Had it a year, can't fault it. Great in the summer over a cotton T-shirt, and great in the winter over several woolen layers.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Endicotts are doing real M65's http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1375 from £35-£60, depending on the grade. If the previous stuff I've got from Endicotts is any guide, the grading is going to be very good. I'm very tempted myself. Their good repro is £49. In either case, Endicotts is cheaper than the standard repros.

I've got one of their British Pattern 60 jackets http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1780, and although its not an M65, is pretty good nevertheless. Its basically the prototype for the 68 pattern smock, albeit with some differences. Its lined down to the waist drawstring (as you can see from the photo), heavy cotton, and much the same design as the M65. There is of course no hood, like the 68.

Main difference between the 60 and 68, apart from the DPM, is that the zip only comes down to about where your belt is (11 inches from the bottom of the jacket), unlike the 68's full length zip. I suddenly realised why they possibly had this feature when stopping off at a motorway service station - you only need to undo the two bottom buttons of the jacket to pee, no need to unzip the whole jacket. The big disadvantage of this (and where the M65 certainly scores), is that the buttons are about 7-8in apart, which means there is a chilly 6in gap about where your waist is. You could mode it, but its extra hassle. Although the 66 pattern kept the short zip, the 68 had a full length one, so cold privates was a general problem!

The super one I had (slightly cheaper thanks to Endi's fantastic service) is basically mint, indeed I would have said it was made this year. In fact I suspect that there has been some upgrading on the original, including a new zip. For £22 its a bargain. Apart from the short zip, I can't fault it.

If you've got the cash, get the M65. If you can go up to £25ish, get the pattern 60. Personally, I'd get both. Both are excellent, and neither are going to be around for much longer. In either case, you get a classic for the same price as a rubbishy Top-Shop knock off.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE