Supposing, supposing.....

H

He' s left the building

Supposing a friend walking along a beach found the well decayed carcass of a dolphin.

Supposing he took the bits that looked useful, like ribs.

Supposing he gave me one and I thought it looked just the thing to turn into a small firebow.

Would that be legal ?

The carcass belongs to the owner of that piece of land it had washed-up on.

Your friend may have 'stolen' some ribs from the land-owner and you may have (unknowingly) received a 'stolen item'

If you were to be questioned by an enforcement officer* it is recommended that you truthfully state how you obtained the rib and offer to return it to its 'rightful owner' upon discovering it is suspected 'stolen'

*how likely is that to to happen??!!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I would have sent this mate back for the head cos I quite like the way that a dolphins skull doesn't look anything like you would imagine and wouldn't mind a good look at one.
I remember borrowing a book on bones out of the library ages ago and being fascinated by the skeletons of moles, bats and dolphins in particular.
IMG_0067.JPG

batskeleton.jpg

2805449290_74110ce049.jpg

I just liked working out how evolution has altered the lengths of the bones and given them a change of use, the fingers of the mole, being the wings of the bat and the flippers of the dolphin.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I believe that provided it was found no higher than the high tide mark then you will be fine. You are also fully permitted to shoot on any beach below the high tide mark as it is deemed to be common property provided it is not close to habitation, the landowner IIRC only owns the land from the high tide mark inland.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Surely this is no different to having a badger skull on the shelf (and we all have one of those - don't we?). If you had a collection of third rib bones from every British porpoise and dolphin species then I reckon they may start asking questions :)

No, you're safe - just don't tell anyone. Oh, hang on, you just told thousands if not millions of people :)

Cheers,

Brach

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Best thing to do is give Scottish Natural Heritage / Countryside Council for Wales / Natural England (delete as appropriate) a call and ask to speak to a species officer. They will be able to advise you on the subject. Alternatively contact your Wildlife Officer at the Police and again they will be able to advise. Both of the above will understand your concerns and the fact that you contacted them will speak volumes about your intentions and credibility.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE