Sunday Afternoon Axe Project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
I found a rusty old axe at the car boot sale for a pound.

IM000031.jpg

So I bought it, took it and restored it.

All I had to do was get the rust off and sharpen it.
But I decided to sand the handle too, then I noticed the head had moved slightly and in the process of straightening it out....
I broke it!
So now I have to A) make a new handle or B) make the old one new again!

IM000033.jpg

I made the old one new again.
What do you think? Alright for a pound I reckon, especially because the guy selling it seemed to chuckle as he took my money.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
this is why i love car boot sales:) i really don't know why more people don't do this:confused:
people are just too snobby with the gransfors but there are plenty of other quality makes out there such as elwell, brades and spearwell

pete

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
...... people are just too snobby with the gransfors but there are plenty of other quality makes out there such as elwell, brades and spearwell

pete

Why taint a really nice thread, about a really nice restoration of a really nice axe with your boorish comments about GB's and their owners?

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
I found a rusty old axe at the car boot sale for a pound.

IM000031.jpg

So I bought it, took it and restored it.

All I had to do was get the rust off and sharpen it.
But I decided to sand the handle too, then I noticed the head had moved slightly and in the process of straightening it out....
I broke it!
So now I have to A) make a new handle or B) make the old one new again!

IM000033.jpg

I made the old one new again.
What do you think? Alright for a pound I reckon, especially because the guy selling it seemed to chuckle as he took my money.

Cracking job...brilliant bargain!

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
That looks great mrmel, the short handle might make it easier to use for carving. The best wood to use for a handle is good old Ash which you can use green cleft from a log at least 4" in diameter. I picked up an absolutely lovely Elwell No5 felling axe at a car boot on Saturday. The head was very rusty and the handle was a little loose but after a little tlc and elbow grease it really is a beauty, shaving sharp quality steel. And all for a mere £4, I love a bargain!

covertcraft

Feb 6, 2009
Milton Keynes
Nice job, I love restoring old tools. As previously mentioned cleft ash is a really good handle material but probably best to season it for a bit before fitting or it could work loose as it dries out. Good thing about making your own handle is you can tailor it to both your hand and it's intended use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE