Summer hats for UK use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Bladdy 'ell Zarkwon!!

Did you take that foto in Imax?

The Pearl & Dean musical intro' used at the Cinema should accompany it.:D

If you'd been wearing a very "wide brimmed" Sombrero I'd understand your filming it in Panavision and Technicolour.

Thanks though, the foto now sits above my fireplace - to scare the kids away from the fire. :D:D

Liam

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
For me there is no contest. Get yourself a baseball cap with a let-down flap that covers ears and neck for when the sun is hot. Some of them look really goofy but some work really well and look just like normal baseball caps with the flap tucked away. This way you can wear a hood over your hat in the rain when you want to, have the convenience of a really small uncrushable hat that fits in your pocket when you want do, wear a normal baseball hat (flap tucked away) when you want do and keep the sun off your ears and neck when you want to (flap down). IMHO there aren't any negatives and I now use one of these all the time

NS

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
For me there is no contest. Get yourself a baseball cap with a let-down flap that covers ears and neck for when the sun is hot. Some of them look really goofy but some work really well and look just like normal baseball caps with the flap tucked away. This way you can wear a hood over your hat in the rain when you want to, have the convenience of a really small uncrushable hat that fits in your pocket when you want do, wear a normal baseball hat (flap tucked away) when you want do and keep the sun off your ears and neck when you want to (flap down). IMHO there aren't any negatives and I now use one of these all the time

NS

Banzai!! Tennohiko Banzai!!

I used to have one of those, and yes I looked like a Japanese sniper, especially as I wear specs. It did the trick but was a bit on the small side.

Like you, I find that a baseball cap fits under a hood no problem.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Well with this recent sunny weather I have been trying Tilley hats on again in gear shops. I have also seen a few white rock hats that are similar in shape but not obviously as good long term. They do have those cooling crystals in the hat band though. Anyone used them?

I think I would prefer a tilley with a narrower brin at the sides and front I think. The ones with the downwards sloping front. I did try one or two on at the weekend and got a little confused which way round they go. If you look into the inside of a tilley before putting it on, which way round does the label go? Can you read it right way up then flip it straight onto your head or is it the other way around? Its just that one of the ones I liked the look of most didn't seem to have any obvious way round to wear them.

I bought a White rock for my misses, sent it back and bought her a T3 instead

http://www.tilleyuk.com/owners_manual.asp

read 'Which is front'

HTH

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
A quick question for Barmah hat wearers: do you notice the brim "bouncing about" when you're walking?

My Tilleys don't move at all but the brim on my new Burmah flips up and down as I walk. It makes SWMBO feel seasick when she's walking beside me. :eek:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had a baseballcap with removeable flaps. Cragghoppers with the nosquito stuff on it that doesn't work. It was an awful basebal cap as the peak was a wierd shape and the flap was not long enough to cover my neck. All in all (and I'll stick my neck out on this one) the legionaire's basebal cap with flap looks worse than a brimmed hat such as a LT5B with the small to medium brimmed Tilley hats.

Floppy brimmed hats are a pain. I once bought a TNF v brimmer hat. It is almost sombrero sized and the brim is completely floppy. It also has a mesh around the body of the hat with a fabric cover over the mesh. Basically it was a proper sunny conditions hat where the sun is seriously strong where you really NEED the sun cover of a hat but it is so hot you need the ventilation and a lighter hat than Tilleys. I should have taken it back because I have only worn it once and that was at home in front of the mirror then put it back in the bag it came in never to get out again. Are you sure the brim is flopping up and down? ;) :D

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
All in all (and I'll stick my neck out on this one) the legionaire's basebal cap with flap looks worse than a brimmed hat such as a LT5B with the small to medium brimmed Tilley hats.

But the comedy value would be immense and appeals to my sense of humour!! :D

Has anyone used those LED's that clip onto the peaks of baseball caps and are they any good?

Thanks in advance

Liam

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I heard those clippy lights were good. I think you can get them all different colours too. If yo can check out an old TGO magazine article in which their UL gear writer tested the eficacy of different coloured mini lights on night vision and their use to read maps at night and see features to move about in the dark. I can't remember which was the best but red ones tended to lose the contours on maps and it could be green ones that are the best to maintain night vision.

Of course the old trick of head torch worn around the neck not the head to allow map reading yet minimising loss of night vision.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Banzai!! Tennohiko Banzai!!

I used to have one of those, and yes I looked like a Japanese sniper, especially as I wear specs. It did the trick but was a bit on the small side.

Like you, I find that a baseball cap fits under a hood no problem.

I love it ! Of course you can always have your flaps tucked up out of the way when anyone else can see you

NS

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Took a White Rock hat to Nepal with me last year. I was melting the entire time I was there. I sweated constantly yet it looked as good as new.
The crystals do work to a degree.
G

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have the white rock hat too i rate it highly but i tend to use buffs more now as they have many uses and i tend to have a few they are good in the sun. Tend to have one has a neckchief and another pirate style on me noggen

Richie20

Feb 16, 2010
Peak District
Anyone tried the issue Low Profile Contact Cap ? I have one and they are sound, and you can get their seconds for only £2.50 including postage. All faults are apparently with positioning of the velcro patches, not hat construction

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Factory-Secon...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item5639ea7c74

!Bmm9)rQ!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-CIEtpvKevb0BLgRl,Ltgg~~_12.JPG

The velcro patches are sewn on and easily removable without damaging the hat, the hats look a bit "Dorky" when you first get them but a couple of weekends wear and a couple of hand washes and they look really OK !

If you like you can leave the velcro patches on and obtain the relevent Blood Group, reflective etc patches also.

I wore mine yesterday while out walking for 7-8 Hrs in the sun and it was excellent, just enough shade from the peak for your eyes and just enough protection of the head to keep out the heat of the sun.
And for £2.50 !!!

Cheers, Richie :) ( PS Just in case you wondered I am not related or don't work for the above ebay seller )

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I have just acquired (from a car boot sale!) one of those Tesco folding hats with the strings. Can anyone tell me how they are supposed to be used?

I got one of those the other year and lost the instruction card, so I'm at a loss like you.

I keep checking to see if they have any more so I can look at the card.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I took my Tilley T3 with me on my (extended!) holiday to Egypt.

It's odd, but I have been too hot in it here in Jersey, but in Egypt where is was 32-36 degrees C, I didn't get hot at all. It must be down to humidity.

It was quite windy some days, especially out on the dive boats, and the chin/head straps came into their own.
Tilley goodjob

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
Just got a hemp boonie hat for camping only,i dont wear hats otherwise,39 all my own hair with only 2-3 grey bits im making the most of it while i have it lol
edit:Hat arrived yesterday wider brim but a great shape overall ,being hemp cotton mix i think it will outlast me,as long as the midges are off me im happy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE