Suggestions for woodcarving tools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crystel

Feb 20, 2012
Manchester, UK
Hi, everybody. I'm putting together some tools for woodcarving, and wondered what tools you think I might need. I want to try carving spoons, bowls etc. Which are the most useful tools, and what are the best makes? Hope you can help.

Sharon

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hi Sharon... For some very well priced carving tools, look into the flexcut range available on ebay ect.

For starters a small carving blade and a hook knife are ideal :) just bought the hook knife and its very good! A basic strop for keeping the edge is also a must.

Regards, al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ben Orford makes some great woodworking tools, Moras' 162 and 120 would be good starter models to get you going

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
A Mora 106 (long blade) or 120 (short blade) sloyd knife is about as good as a sloyd knife gets.

The Frosts spoon knives really aren't very good, and I'd recommend either Svante Djarv or Hans Karlsson. Ben Orford also does good spoon knives.

Cheers

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'd recommend to get an axe, 2 x elbow adzes (1 x straight edged and 1 x curved edged) 1 x carving knife (straight edged) and a 1 x crook knife (with a curved edge) That would be good to do the smaller lighter detail stuff (spoons) with enough heft to tackle heavier stuff such as bigger spoons, ladles, bowls, shovels, paddles etc. I absolutely love this type of kit, the mnore I use it the more I like it.
If you want to use more traditional european style gouges Alec Tiranti are good to use, they come up on ebay sometimes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE