Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just thought I got to re wedge my 4lb'er before the next meet.... as the head came lose.....

I may also bring the two Kent Pattern and the Brades I have to re-helve... oh and the adze.. yes...I've finished the Adze head at last.... :).

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I will run a quick skill share on sharps for those that would like to take part, as I can see that there is a couple of new axes being brought, this mini skill share will include sharping, care, handling, and use.

I would like to be involved in the sharps skill share, as although I can cut stuff, I've never been shown the correct way. I just try and use what common sense I have but it would be good to learn the correct methods.

Also knife sharpening is still something I've yet to learn properly.

Cheers Stu will order some cam-cleats for the weekend.

Last edited:

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
If I'm to be completely frank, then I too would love a refresher sharps session, and a full-on tarp session. But I'm patient :) We'll arrive Saturday morning, bright and early, around 9am.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The sharps skill share will be a very watered down one due to the fact we already have a Skill Share going, it will be all the basic stuff, mainly to cover the basics of safe use, and how to sharpen, but only a brief view, not a in depth describe/show/do session.

I did one in the last quarter of the last year, I have seen a few mistakes being done at the last meet and short cuts made, I will post a full session in a couple of months....

As far as the skill shares go I would like to keep theses going by other people bringing up ideas, offering to run them, if the group is going to get better, we need to share the skills we have and learn and share more..

I'll be honest with you, I don't mind showing basic skills over and over again, but need to go a head and practice/improve my skills, as do others...

So can I have more people step forward and offer skills to pass on, it does not matter if your a beginner, just pick a skill you like the idea of, learn it over the next few months, and then offer to do a demo....

Thank you to those that have taken on the challenge of a skill share.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I'm happy to put my 2 cents in regarding sharpening.

I've had lessons from Longstrider himself.
I'll bring a few bit and if I can carry... A bag full of knives to play with.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I could do a "how to camp from a 4wd and go flyfishing and fly-tying session, but we'd have to go to Colorado. :)

every one can bring some thing to the table :).. myself I've done a lot of off roading in the past along with wild camping, used to fly fish in Scotland but not doe it for a about 20 years or so.. lol... no doubt a certain person would of picked up on that fact...lol..

I could show people how not to do things :lmao:

we did have Simon for that please dont take his place...lol

I'm happy to put my 2 cents in regarding sharpening.

I've had lessons from Longstrider himself.
I'll bring a few bit and if I can carry... A bag full of knives to play with.

That would be good... this time I would not like to turn it in to multi skill share day, stick to one main one per month.. just a quicky in the main points of sharps this month, your welcome to do one another time. but we don't want to have sharps skill shares too often or we keep covering same ground.. perhaps a session very 4 monthly.

we should be getting into the season when cordage would be a good one to do....

Come on guys.. lets have some different skills... let's not let it flounder and peetter out.. volunteers please.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
seeing that all you guys are getting so hooked on Carving and Greenwood Working Thought i would put an Album on Facebook :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE