Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Ok the company is doublegclothing.com and they do lots of tops at lots of prices, so you may want to have a look see and choose something to your liking? Then let me know and I can place the order?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
An old bear whitetail hunter, I saw it at the car boot last weekend and only really bought it to stop a bunch of kids getting it, who clearly didn't know that it only has 1 string not 3 like they were trying to pull.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well bikes now back home, and out of storage at the workshop... I ve washed the two years of grinding and welding dust off that had got through the dustsheets....

DSC_0242.jpg

Turned the key... no power.. battery Knackered..:( not supprised after sitting for two years...... new battery and £50 lighter thats was with a trade discount at Halfords.....:eek: drained off the two year old fuel.. topped up with new petrol... after a few cranks the thing started all be it rough... it now ticking over with the odd hunt... thinks it needs a service...lol

Dug about found my leather trousers, my Kevlar jeans, two pair of bike boots, leather Jacket, two pairs of gloves, tank bag, found my log book.. and alarm fobs are no working..lol..

Booked in for a 6000 service... and MOT on Tuesday..

I am ready to Ride.... again, lol :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Carried over from Meet thread

I have always used stones for my big sharp things like axe, billhook or slashers, unless the edge is fubar the its out with the file

I have stones but to be honest hardly use them :), Use a file to reprofile cutting edges

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Na I'll be in teh disco, may have a weekend on it some time :) but have got to get a 130ltr rucksack, a whistle, and a set of panniers with a Flat car battery in it frist

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Hey... good to see you got the bike out Stu.

what was the name of those clips you use we spoke about for a speedy tarp set up? just getting ready for next weekend and thought I might invest in some. Also thinking of changing my set up to A frame or quite fancy having a go at the diamond style like Colin did. Now the weather is a bit better I fancy the tarp being a bit more open.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah thought it about time, and it should help keep the cost down getting to work as well...

Only one problem now , been down to Orwells to see about a helmet for the girlfriend... and seen a nice new ZZR1400.... now I got a new love in my life...lol... shame I cant afford it..lol

They are Cam-cleats bud :)

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
For anyone following my initial love/hate relationship with my new GB Mini, know that I have sharpened it up and am much happier with it. It took a while with the wet/dry, mousepad and strop, but it's now as sharp as I expected it to be when it arrived. It can probably be improved, but I can't imagine that it's bad the way it is. huzzah!

As for the handle, which was a bit too small and slick, there is now a paracord wrap that's a bit brighter than it ought be. At least it won't get lost. Another small victory.

I'll see and meet you all next weekend.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Some times it just takes time and a bit of elbow grease to get things how you want, but its worth it :)

See you next weekend :)

jameshardy

Dec 9, 2007
canterbury
Glad to hear you have the GB mini sorted. Ive purchased some new kit since borrowing some equipment at the last meet. A husqvarna hatchet, bahco laplander and a ice bear sharpening kit to get my mora clipper back into action. Very pleased with all of them. Also been learning about knots that can be used with tarps so looking forward to putting them into practice.

Going to try an trim my kit down and use a frame bag

FrameBag_FullView2.jpg

The laplander is definitely in. I used it to cut off some wood for spoon making etc from some of the fallen trees in wolves wood. It made short work of even fairly thick sections.

Last edited:

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I've been a bit knot crazy too…. and frankly, this is the first time I'm tarp camping, so I too am looking forward to figuring all this out. And gear, gear! I've been restocking my kit, so it's all a bit new to me. I almost picked up a laplander, but the campsite looks civilised, and I've got a SAK with a small saw. Otherwise, it's hatchet time!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I like Tarp camping myself especially in the warmer weather, when the tarp height goes up and is left open during the night, to wake up as the sun goes up it a great feeling.

Its weird to see the site being referred to as being civilised :).. its def a bit less wild then when I got the permission 11 months ago, but remains wild, apart from the communal area with the Fire Pad, Clay Oven, a table and the long drop, it stays more or less the same.

We will need to restock the wood pile this month as the last couple of months it has not been done, and as its a fire starting and fire laying skill share we will need to get a bit of wood together.

I will run a quick skill share on sharps for those that would like to take part, as I can see that there is a couple of new axes being brought, this mini skill share will include sharping, care, handling, and use.

As far as keeping the amount of kit down, that frame bag looks interesting :), I am afraid that I tend to camp with too many toys but do like to go right back to having very little with me.. as can be seen in this image, that was all my kit and food for the August Meet last year,

DSC_0046.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE