Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm beginning to think now that The whole hammock is lighter/heavier than tent thing really depends on the gear and personal preference for how you want to spemd the night. I have a 2 person (read 1 in comfort) backpacking tent. It weighs a kilo and is about the size of a 2 litre coke bottle. I've also got a canvas bell tent that weighs over 20 kilos (before the stove) last session in the woods I used the hammock as a ground nest and was able to leave some of the insulation I used when hanging it behind. So far I'm finding hammocking heavier. (And makes me wee more overnight) but come the wet ground in winter I may change my mind.

I'll keep experimenting and getting the experience until I find what works for me. Couldn't make this weekend but doing a woodlife trails tracking course next weekend, I'm going to experiment with a slimmed down cook system and pick up some more words of wisdom.

Hope to see you all in November

John

You should certainly give the "swing low" technique a go (the one I discussed in my earlier post).
If you're so low to the ground that even a thin/light poncho liner hung under the hammock is resting on the ground... there's no air moving under the hammock (which is the main cause of the heat loss). Worked great for me this weekend, and that's how I'll be hanging right through 'til spring now.
No need to up-rate my underquilt (poncho liner works great), no need to bring extra blankets or a higher-rated sleeping bag... it'll be just fine :)

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Just checked the dates for the next meet (Nov). Unfortunately I will be working that weekend and it will be the third meeting in a row that I am working. But on a brighter note the December (Christmas) weekend I am able to attend.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just checked the dates for the next meet (Nov). Unfortunately I will be working that weekend and it will be the third meeting in a row that I am working. But on a brighter note the December (Christmas) weekend I am able to attend.

Thats a Shame Nick, I mean about not being able to make the Nov one, hopefully the December one will maker up for it :).

I will be speaking with the Landowner on his return from his Hols and booking 2014 date's keeping to the same full first weekend of the month...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Following on from a few of the Items Donated to the group and a few of the other ideas that have been going about about equipment for the group, I have been asked by people how we are going to fund the running/maintainace of these.

for example the Group Chainsaw, Petrol/oil... the Elsan Blue for teh toilet..

and of course the old one the storage for the kit we are collecting, also maybe using that storage shed as a composting loo as well.

Your imput on this would be good, we can have a descussion at the next meet to decide... questions I am thinking about how do we rasie/collect/keep the money....

The floor is open.................

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Following on from a few of the Items Donated to the group and a few of the other ideas that have been going about about equipment for the group, I have been asked by people how we are going to fund the running/maintainace of these.

for example the Group Chainsaw, Petrol/oil... the Elsan Blue for teh toilet..

and of course the old one the storage for the kit we are collecting, also maybe using that storage shed as a composting loo as well.

Your imput on this would be good, we can have a descussion at the next meet to decide... questions I am thinking about how do we rasie/collect/keep the money....

The floor is open.................

Speaking for myself here (of course) but I'd be happy to throw a set amount into the kitty each meet (on top of the cost for the weekend).
I mean, even if it works out at £15 for the weekend... that's cheaper than a night at most camp sites anyway!
That would of course mean that someone would have to maintain the kitty... so that's something to be considered.

Just my £0.02.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
You should certainly give the "swing low" technique a go

Tony in the winter hangs his Hammock more or less a few mm's of the ground in the colder months of the year.

Myselfdont like the hassle of getting out a low hammock...... being a more shall we say well padded lad... ok Fat..

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hey all I'm back after an al too long furlough in the world of work, work and more work!

Can't make the Nov. meet but should be free for December... Not sure whether I'd hammock or tent it (so much gear so little time!).

Instead of upping the fees how about a spend a penny method for the toilet?! A money box with a slot where people can donate some loss coins when they use it! Voluntary of corse where people aren't under pressure to pay! I'd happily donate 20p for a wee, a pound for a poo.. and if I have to say a prayer another coin too!! 🙏💩👍

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Instead of upping the fees how about a spend a penny method for the toilet?! A money box with a slot where people can donate some loss coins when they use it! Voluntary of corse where people aren't under pressure to pay! I'd happily donate 20p for a wee, a pound for a poo.. and if I have to say a prayer another coin too!! ������

Before some one elses says it ... you mean get rid of the lose change..... lol

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Decided to wash my sleeping bag (given how much I was sweating on Sunday night).
Found a hole in it... concerned there might be more so once it's dry I'm going to go over it with a fine toothed comb (figuratively speaking, of course).

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Just had a clearout at the climbing club. Could the group make use of 18m of 10.5 mm climbing rope. Used be the club, not recommended for life support but should be plenty strong enough for other uses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE