Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
What did you think of the lighter load out Si, was there anything you really missed/could not do without?

All in all the items I brought were exactly what I needed and nothing more. The one perhaps exception is that we didn't do any wood carving or much chopping this weekend, so my knives didn't get used... but that's more about the activities performed this weekend. Obviously we normally end up pulling out the sharps at some point during the meets, so bringing them is mandatory to me.

What I do feel was something of a let down was the rucksack I put them in. Don't get me wrong, the bag itself is awesome... but in attempting to pack everything into the smallest pack I could physically cram them into, I made it more difficult than I'd like to grab individual items from in the pack. Therefore, I'll be bringing my small Bergen from now on... but with the same items that I brought this meet.

I don't think I need to bring more than I brought last meet... and at the same time I can't yet see anything I brought that I don't often use.

I may switch back to the 4x4 (especially when the snow begins to fall) but that's more a semantics issue than a regret as such.

Weight wise... this was well within my personal carry limit (to be honest the loadout and pack I was bringing to prior meets had been within my carry limit). Most of the weight this time around was water (4 litres weighing 4kg, plus the weight of the bladder + stainless canteen). Carrying out was of course much lighter as I'd shed the water weight completely.

So, yes... this is basically how I'll be doing things for now. When things get really cold, I may well decide to bring in the Frontier Stove merely because I enjoy using it so much.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I never got to see your kit this meet Si! I'll check it out next time! Actually there were a few I never got around! Always good to checkout others setup for ideas! I did like Seanl's hammock! Lovely bit of kit!

Must admit I was also impressed with Sean's hammock. Got me thinking of getting one myself :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I dont mind collecting the kitty for the upkeep and replacement of our kit, but we will all have to agree on the details next meet. The one thing I dont want is for the group to end up like a proper club with committees and agm's and all the palaver associated with it.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I dont mind collecting the kitty for the upkeep and replacement of our kit, but we will all have to agree on the details next meet. The one thing I dont want is for the group to end up like a proper club with committees and agm's and all the palaver associated with it.

I second the motion!

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
Yes is was a Warbonnet BB DL1.1 XLC - and very comfortable is was - even with the solid top on it you still had visibility to see what you where doing (during day light that is).

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Ooh a blackbird. I've fancied one of thos for a while. I may have to sneak a peek at at next time I'm down.

And I am seeing mr Mears on the 19th, was very interesting the last time he did it.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

I have no problems with you doing it Chris :)... Its just a shame that there is so little interest in the subject from attender to the group... I know that some do vist regularly to see what going on..

Is it they liek these things but dont care that is others that pay for it........????

Heres My feelings..
The fee for each weekend meet goes to £15.. £10 is the camp site fee, and the £5 goes in the fund.. this fund is the for Aggument sake as Chris is the only one that has shown interest, is looked after by him... any things purchased will have to have a receipt. and approved by majority of the attendees at the next monthy meet before Chris pays it.

There may be a need for say the Christmas meal where the funds for this is managed the same way.......

Of course a simple little ledger to be Kept

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I was thinking about this last night, maybe £2 or £3 maybe better to start with. If we collect £5 each time we will be collecting £25-£50 each time that's £300 - £600 per year based on 5-10 people attending each meet and will only go up if we get more attendees, while I have no problem with that do we really need that much in a kitty, even if you take out the cost of any consumables over the year there will still be a good pot of cash left over, unless the balance is used to subsidise other activities like flint knapping or bow making.

But I do agree that the silence on this is deffening:)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I'm happy for Chris to take a few quid extra for the kitty, it would then mean everyone benefits. It would help greatly with xmas meal etc and maybe a parachute or shed at some point. I'm a great believer in keeping things simple too so if one or two people only come now and again so what, let them benefit from our contributions in the good name of the group.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I was thinking about this last night, maybe £2 or £3 maybe better to start with. If we collect £5 each time we will be collecting £25-£50 each time that's £300 - £600 per year based on 5-10 people attending each meet and will only go up if we get more attendees, while I have no problem with that do we really need that much in a kitty, even if you take out the cost of any consumables over the year there will still be a good pot of cash left over, unless the balance is used to subsidise other activities like flint knapping or bow making.

Well, if a surplus does happen, wouldn't that allow us to look into other activities like having a guest teacher (someone of much repute in the Bushcraft world) come to do sessions? I remember talk of perhaps getting a bow maker to come along and teach us how to do that craft... just as one example.

Besides, the kitty wouldn't necessarily have to be a set amount that never changes. If there's a surplus, the amount paid in by each attendee could be reduced to reflect that (spitballing here)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

£5 was for example use :), and hopefully get a reaction....... as its been SO QUITE...

Well, if a surplus does happen, wouldn't that allow us to look into other activities like having a guest teacher (someone of much repute in the Bushcraft world) come to do sessions? I remember talk of perhaps getting a bow maker to come along and teach us how to do that craft... just as one example.

Besides, the kitty wouldn't necessarily have to be a set amount that never changes. If there's a surplus, the amount paid in by each attendee could be reduced to reflect that (spitballing here)

I am all up for putting the excess towards a guest teacher ect.. to further the knowlage ect of the group, we have spoken about geting Mr Lord down for a weekend to do flint Knapping ect next year... while I agree in subidising things like that, we have to bear in mind that not everyone will want to attend as they are not Interested, and yet they would of paid in to the kitty...

As far asadjusting the Kitty fee for every one across the board, every 6 months or so....

The first major thing I can see doing is a Composting Toilet/storage shed,Colin is looking into costs for this so we have an Idea how much it would cost....

Last edited:

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
I'm more than happy to pay an extra £5 at each weekend meet, and totally agree with Simon that this could fluctuate as and when needed.
If we are looking at a composting loo and storage as a first purchase then we need the amount to be about that level (£5), but I also agree with Simon that this could fund future activities that the group would like to participate in. So hopefully we will never have a large amount of cash in the pot.
Yes we need to keep it simple and as long as the majority agree with any large purchase (consumables need to be bought as and when) and as Stu has said, a simple ledger kept, then I think that that will suffice.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'm more than happy to pay an extra £5 at each weekend meet, and totally agree with Simon that this could fluctuate as and when needed.
If we are looking at a composting loo and storage as a first purchase then we need the amount to be about that level (£5), but I also agree with Simon that this could fund future activities that the group would like to participate in. So hopefully we will never have a large amount of cash in the pot.
Yes we need to keep it simple and as long as the majority agree with any large purchase (consumables need to be bought as and when) and as Stu has said, a simple ledger kept, then I think that that will suffice.

I would say the best way to deal with things and decide what is happening with the money... then that is done at a Meet... with a suggestion... all the deatils/price..... then show of hands at that meet... go by
majority of people present... job done...

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I would say the best way to deal with things and decide what is happening with the money... then that is done at a Meet... with a suggestion... all the deatils/price..... then show of hands at that meet... go by
majority of people present... job done...

A caveat to that could be as regards guest speakers for a following meet, where the decision could be put to a vote in this thread between those who will be able to attend that next meet.

There's no need for this to become in any way complicated... common sense is a great thing.

Also (and this is coming directly from my company accountant, for the sake of qualification) so long as the kitty never reaches more than a little over £7k in any one year (that's total paid in, before expenses) we would not need to register as a non-profit organization. I don't see that ever being an issue if we keep track and adjust the kitty ingoings accordingly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE