Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
It's not that I agree or disagree with the idea. It was that I havent been to a meet so thought it would be rude of me to put my say so on the subjects. If you want me to say something then I can.
Is the landowner happy with having a shed or two put up in his wood, as he may not be as we try to be a leave it as you found it if not better minded group, he may think otherwise??

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It's not that I agree or disagree with the idea. It was that I havent been to a meet so thought it would be rude of me to put my say so on the subjects. If you want me to say something then I can.
Is the landowner happy with having a shed or two put up in his wood, as he may not be as we try to be a leave it as you found it if not better minded group, he may think otherwise??

Everything is ultimately at the permit of the landowner. If he says "no", then no it is.

He's already given us permission to leave certain items (group tarp, stuff we've been making there such as clay oven, the concrete slab for the fire pit, and the group tarp line strung up between the trees as examples) at the site. Having a shed at least gives us a neater/cleaner way of storing those items without it looking like "clutter"... so I imagine he'll likely be okay with it. With that said, nothing gets put into motion without the landowner's approval.

A good example of that is that he recently plowed and sowed the fields leading to the woodland... and we haven't yet had word as-to whether he's okay with us driving down those fields anymore. In the absence of his say-so (and out of consideration alone, really) we're no longer driving around those fields... we're instead parking up where we've been given permission and walking in with our gear.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
If excess monies were to go towards say flint knapping talks or bow making, maybe those weekends should be advertised through pm's only to regular attendees!

As soon as one of those is scheduled you'll no doubt have 30 odd people turning up who have never been before!

Or make it available to everyone but charge newbies a nominal excess for such meets to offset the kitty a little.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
In answer to what the landowner will and will not allow the group to do, I had very lengthy conversations with him, and a fair few since first contacting him about the permission I have agreed with him..

I speak to him after every meet.. when he is not harvesting, and have contact with him regualry, one of the things tat did come up during the first few lengthy conversations was about the sanity needs of the group, this was agreed that we would first use a latrine, move onto a chemical toilet as the group grew then we would move onto a Composting toilet in the long term.... so the question about can should not really pose a problem.

The storage part of it he has no problem with, I have spoken to the land owner about it, and have agreed that as we grow the storage may need to grow..,, its just happened quicker then I would have expected, as far as kit is concerned... :)..

So I can see a yes to us providing a shed/Composting Toilet being now problem :)

As far as how much can a non profit organisation, goes .. we have to remember that we are not a club, just a group of guy that get together, we have some kit that needs up keep, and replacement, so we need to fund it best way we can.. so lets not get stuck into the accountant/lawyer route.

The way I have thought and also spoken with a couple of the attenders... I agree we will soon have to define what a regular attender is.. for example if some one only comes three times a year are they a regular.... and should they get the same benefits or an attender that is there 7 times a year... I think this is another conversation for discussion,

Can we please keep that for another time.... and lets sort the funding thing frist.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
So far are we agreed that I will look after the kitty?

And do we agree to raise the attendance fee to £15 ( £10 for the farmer & £5 for the kitty)

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Well after I decided not to buy a newer bow, I started to make arrows to match the bows I use at the moment. Some are self nocked, some bamboo, some have arrow wraps and some are for the winter snowy weather.

Attachments

• 20131010_214619.jpg
    20131010_214619.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20131010_214553.jpg
    20131010_214553.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 14

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well after I decided not to buy a newer bow, I started to make arrows to match the bows I use at the moment. Some are self nocked, some bamboo, some have arrow wraps and some are for the winter snowy weather.

Nice... I am thinking about making some more now.. I got hold of some nice brass piles the other day..brought the spares for my missing ones and a set of spare fletches, and nocks.. also found some nice brass piles as well, going cheap.

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Guys, a couple of you, at the weekend expressed an interest in the small machete that I had purchased and Stu asked me to post details, so here they are :-

Compact Machete

compact-machete-2837-p[ekm]120x67[ekm].jpg

from Blades and Bows (http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk)

Cost £12 Delivery £4:50

This is standard delivery and the machete turned up within 3 days, you can pay more and get it delivered quicker.

Check out the reviews and majority are very positive.

Hope this is of interest.

Great work Cromm! I saw Stu's lovely bow the weekend and when I get a bit of free cash I think this might be an area I might get into myself! I've always loved bows and there history but don't know too much about them! Was great chatting in person to Stu about them! I made a long bow on a course a few years back, down in Kent, then went home and made 3 kids ones for the boys! That's about it!

Forgot I had the pics on my blog! Take a peak if you get a mo!
http://wolfcrafter.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/long-bow-making-workshop-kent-july-2010.html?m=1

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Very nice blog Wolfcrafter and great photos. Archery has been one of my loves for years now, I think it is because of the history of it and also with trad archery you cannot cheat. It is a great skill set that lots of people think they can do from the get go but takes time to master.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE