Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Hi guys, looks like you had a great meet, I'm very jellouse, I'm glad all you hard work to find a great place to go has paid off Stuart.

I can't wait to get out again but I'm still on 7 days a week at the moment and will be until 12th June minimum. In fact the only day off I have is knife making on the 19th if its still happening. Also just received my arctic sleeping bag which I actually fit in so can't wait to try it out.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi guys, looks like you had a great meet, I'm very jellouse, I'm glad all you hard work to find a great place to go has paid off Stuart.

I can't wait to get out again but I'm still on 7 days a week at the moment and will be until 12th June minimum. In fact the only day off I have is knife making on the 19th if its still happening. Also just received my arctic sleeping bag which I actually fit in so can't wait to try it out.

Hi mate, shame your not making the next meet, be good to see you out again, but at least you got work :).

Yeah the knife workshop is still happening, post# 1564....I hope every one is still up for it, has any one taken you up on the offer of getting ground stock?.... I have reminded people in the psot it is hard to anneal a file in a gas furance is we gan not cool it slow enough, so I have asked them to make sure its done before they come or just get some ground stock.

Good news about the sleeping bag.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Hi mate, shame your not making the next meet, be good to see you out again, but at least you got work :).

Yeah the knife workshop is still happening, post# 1564....I hope every one is still up for it, has any one taken you up on the offer of getting ground stock?.... I have reminded people in the psot it is hard to anneal a file in a gas furance is we gan not cool it slow enough, so I have asked them to make sure its done before they come or just get some ground stock.

Good news about the sleeping bag.

No one has asked about the stock bar but it comes in 500mm lengths so I have enough to make my bushcraft knife with some left over if anyone needs a piece on the day, also my parents have just cut down a walnut tree so if anyone would like some wood for carving or making a knife handle, just let me know. I'm no expert and maybe walnut is no good for a knife Handle but I was going to give it a go.

I hear what you are saying about work, were lucky to have work but I'm getting very tired now due to the long days and it is very relentless at the moment but hopefully all the hard work will pay off.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Sunday Knife Making Session down at the Man Cave (Hadleigh) May 19th 2013, start at 9 am, I will PM you the loacation

There will be a cost involved to cover Gas, Linishing Disc's, Electric ect... this cost I am hoping to keep to £15 per head.

All I am offering is the use of the Workshop and Equipment, use of all tools/Equipment will be at persons own risk, I am setting this up as I know that a few of the participating group members would like to make their own knife blades,

Get yourself some Ground Stock steel.... just remember there is more Handwork/Filing involved in working on a file to make a knife....If you want to use a file, please anneal it before the session...

I those that would like to come can put their name down in the list I am trying to keep group numbers down, so it dose not get crowded..

1. Rumcelt
2. Roman Soldier
3. Iambosscat
4. SJStuart
Wow. I hope we get some pics of those blanks as I'm at BMF this weekend

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
:dancer:
Wohoo. Just been for a walk around Skolding woods (TL 42675 95800 52.541389,0.102396) with the owner and had permission to form a group and use them.:bigok:
Not worried about campovers :camping::campfire::hammock: or anything as live wood not cut and all rubbish cleared up.
He's had some folks that can't speak english go down there and pit hunting the deer with crosbows :news:.
Theres oak white beam among the more unusual trees and hosts both black adders and grass snakes. Loads of bunnies apparently.
We will be on trial for two months but I can't see that being any problem so I reckon I might make a start a week Sunday (26th May).:welcome1:
Meet at mine for 9:30 off if thats OK - 8, PE15 9NP (PM for Mobile please)
There will be no water or facilities or anything there so all carry in and out please

If anyone fancies a day out have a look here

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
:dancer:
Wohoo. Just been for a walk around Skolding woods (TL 42675 95800 52.541389,0.102396) with the owner and had permission to form a group and use them.:bigok:
Not worried about campovers :camping::campfire::hammock: or anything as live wood not cut and all rubbish cleared up.
He's had some folks that can't speak english go down there and pit hunting the deer with crosbows :news:.
Theres oak white beam among the more unusual trees and hosts both black adders and grass snakes. Loads of bunnies apparently.
We will be on trial for two months but I can't see that being any problem so I reckon I might make a start a week Sunday (26th May).:welcome1:
Meet at mine for 9:30 off if thats OK - 8, PE15 9NP (PM for Mobile please)
There will be no water or facilities or anything there so all carry in and out please

If anyone fancies a day out have a look here

1. Roman Soldier put me down mate

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Car boot was a winner today, bought
1. Fishing chair £20
2. Long back army bergan £8
3. Warrior man bag bit better than the response pack. £2

Decided to go army bergan in the end, they are comfy and loads of room. Will keep the 45ltr for minimalist days.

Hope you all having a good weekend, Kev's wood looks great.
The new startrek movie is good!

FioFO

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looks good Kev.. I will have to visit one weekend

Nice pics Mike...

Couple of good bargins there Paul.

I have been busy this morning as well...

As Scout always wondered how the plated woggles were made...:). So i made a wrist band.

Needed a new Mask for my hand axe so made a bite mask out of 2mm and 4mm leather, then thought well, I may as well make one for the Kent Pattern hand axe as well, that I am restoring.

20130512_133452.jpg

Next on the list is a mask for my Haultifor Burks felling axe, then a sheath for the Clipper..:)

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Car boot was a winner today, bought
1. Fishing chair £20
2. Long back army bergan £8
3. Warrior man bag bit better than the response pack. £2

Decided to go army bergan in the end, they are comfy and loads of room. Will keep the 45ltr for minimalist days.

Hope you all having a good weekend, Kev's wood looks great.
The new startrek movie is good!

FioFO

I went to the boot sale today as well and picked up a couple of bargins

Softie trousers - £4
Tilley Lamp - £15
and some off cuts of leather - £2.50

On the stall that I bought the softies they had a long back bergan, wonder if we went to same boot sale Paul.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Looks good Kev.. I will have to visit one weekend

Nice pics Mike...

Couple of good bargins there Paul.

I have been busy this morning as well...

As Scout always wondered how the plated woggles were made...:). So i made a wrist band.

Needed a new Mask for my hand axe so made a bite mask out of 2mm and 4mm leather, then thought well, I may as well make one for the Kent Pattern hand axe as well, that I am restoring.

View attachment 18192

Next on the list is a mask for my Haultifor Burks felling axe, then a sheath for the Clipper..:)

Some nice bits there Stu

FioFO

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I went to the boot sale today as well and picked up a couple of bargins

Softie trousers - £4
Tilley Lamp - £15
and some off cuts of leather - £2.50

On the stall that I bought the softies they had a long back bergan, wonder if we went to same boot sale Paul.

Some more nice deals as well.. :):)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Definitely up for that (once I'm recovered anyway). Isn't the spirit of the thing in doing it solo, though?

Yeah it is, but what i woundered, would it not be good to spend the frist night on your own then walk in to meet up for the last night, just to compare kit that we have used....... And descuss pro/cons of what we used, and how we feel it could be bettered.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
On the Sunday of the last meet, a couple of us were chatting about the possibility of some group tee shirts or Polo shirts,
If people are interested then I would be happy to take on the organisation of this.

The first item that would need to be sorted is some kind of group badge,
if anyone has any suggestions then please post and we can come up with a consensus, then I can get things in motion.

As I said I agree with the comments that were made, my feelings are that it does give a sence or belonging and also when visiting other groups looks good. I am all for a shirt of some kind, it would be good to see what others think...

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Yeah it is, but what i woundered, would it not be good to spend the frist night on your own then walk in to meet up for the last night, just to compare kit that we have used....... And descuss pro/cons of what we used, and how we feel it could be bettered.

Interesting twist on the concept, sure.

Plus, it'd be nice to go out with a smaller pack than the big whopping Bergens most of us take every time, and to share the contents of our more "compact" gear.

I'm definitely getting better now, too, so it won't be too long before I'm ready to go back out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE