Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Clearly I missed an epic meet :(

I honestly thought I'd be able to make it... even when I started coughing out pints of mucus. I figured it was just a simple bug, perhaps my body suffering from the sudden change in temperature (from below freezing all the time to 14C+ nights).

On the Friday I recieved a call from my landlord telling me that (despite having told us a few weeks ago that we were all good and could stay) he is evicting us (for no legitimate reason, by the way. Rent's always paid on time and we've been perfect tennants for 5 years and 1 month. He's evicting us and keeping the neighbour that beat the sh*t out of our chickens and has been nothing but a nightmare since they moved in). My Mrs and I had to cancel all our plans and go out registering with estate agents and arranging viewings for other properties (got three viewings for tomorrow alone). We only have until next month to find a place and move into it!

On the Saturday, just after I'd packed the bike and was about to set off, I started having severe trouble breathing. At first I thought it was something wrong with my helmet (perhaps the vents were clogged up or something) so I got to the top of the road and took my helmet off. Within minutes I was turning blue, and had to call my Mrs to come and get me.
I took some puffs on my Mrs' inhaler (she's asthmatic, I'm not) which helped a little... but then the mucus started coming up (collossal amounts of it).

I ended up in A&E, where a nurse took a listen to my chest (there's a very clear raspy sound when I breathe). I was sent for some chest X-Rays and they found a pneumonia in my right lung, as well as signs of one developing in the left lung.

This thing caught me entirely off-guard! I only developed a minor cough on Friday, and now it's already a significant problem.

I can't talk without choking (I was having trouble even on the phone to Stu on Friday).

It's a good thing I didn't try to go anyway, because I'd likely have ended up causing you all a big problem (pneumonia isn't something to be taken lightly).

I've had it before a couple of times (I'm apparently prone to it) so I know what to do to recover... and I'm doing all the right things.

Let's just say that I'm not worried about imminant death or anything so dramatic (it's not that severe).

Glad you all had a good time, though! The weather has certainly been perfect for it. Very sorry that I let you all down re the group meal, though :(

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have looked at my holiday, and gues what it dont fall near to a meet so I was wondering about booking a Four nighter on one of the weekends, if anyone is interested :), as I said I did not want to leave. I am thinking about doing a arrival from 6 pm on Thrusday thought to leave on the Monday Midday...... my be for the July meet, then we have been there a couple of months, I may be able to wang some other things to do.... :)

Some pics,

Nice ones there Colin.... Thank you

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sunday Knife Making Session down at the Man Cave (Hadleigh) May 19th 2013, start at 9 am, I will PM you the loacation

There will be a cost involved to cover Gas, Linishing Disc's, Electric ect... this cost I am hoping to keep to £15 per head.

All I am offering is the use of the Workshop and Equipment, use of all tools/Equipment will be at persons own risk, I am setting this up as I know that a few of the participating group members would like to make their own knife blades,

Get yourself some Ground Stock steel.... just remember there is more Handwork/Filing involved in working on a file to make a knife....If you want to use a file, please anneal it before the session...

I those that would like to come can put their name down in the list I am trying to keep group numbers down, so it dose not get crowded..

1. Rumcelt
2. Roman Soldier
3. Iambosscat
4. SJStuart

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Sunday Knife Making Session down at the Man Cave (Hadleigh) May 19th 2013, start at 9 am, I will PM you the loacation

There will be a cost involved to cover Gas, Linishing Disc's, Electric ect... this cost I am hoping to keep to £15 per head.

All I am offering is the use of the Workshop and Equipment, use of all tools/Equipment will be at persons own risk, I am setting this up as I know that a few of the participating group members would like to make their own knife blades,

Get yourself some Ground Stock steel.... just remember there is more Handwork/Filing involved in working on a file to make a knife....If you want to use a file, please anneal it before the session...

I those that would like to come can put their name down in the list I am trying to keep group numbers down, so it dose not get crowded..

1. Rumcelt
2. Roman Soldier
3. Iambosscat
4. SJStuart

At the moment I cannot guarantee my participation. I would hope that I'll be better by then, but the first time I had pneumonia it lasted almost 6 months (granted I didn't know what I had, didn't seek treatment, and ended up in hospital drowning in my own fluids) so I wouldn't want to set it in stone only to let you down again!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
At the moment I cannot guarantee my participation. I would hope that I'll be better by then, but the first time I had pneumonia it lasted almost 6 months (granted I didn't know what I had, didn't seek treatment, and ended up in hospital drowning in my own fluids) so I wouldn't want to set it in stone only to let you down again!

OK, Thank you for that

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Following the Last Meet, I have just received an email confirming the next dates :D:D

2 Night Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Group Meeting 7th and 8th June 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quite and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents, just outside of the village 14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find.

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we ai to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...The nearest Toilets, Shower are back at the Bayments Farm Yard, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, There is a Group Latrine that is to be used in all case's, it is a requirement of the Landowner.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

Group Meal,
There is normally a Group Meal on Saturday would anyone attending like to offer to do it?

(The Group meals are supplied but the person making them, then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Other Info
We probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

The Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland, we are allowed to drop off and pick up at the woodland, if the ground is too wet then, most of the gear will have to walked in, I can arrange for help for people that can not walk that far due to a health reason, I need to know this in advance.

I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of Tarps, for a group shelter,

Wood can be gathered from around the site, Dead Wood only to be used.

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own kit,

The nearest A & E is 20 minutes drive at;

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals and how many nights you’re staying,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights

The next core dates for the monthly meets-depending on how things go I will try to get some more nights, I will hope to do a Four Nighter at some stage.

July 5th and 6th 2013
August 2nd and 3rd
September 6th and 7th 2013.

Last edited:

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Following the Last Meet, I have just received an email confirming the next dates :D:D

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quite and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents, just outside of the village of Stansfield- Meet at H. E. Dennis & Son, Bayments Farm, Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN. 14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find.

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we ai to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...The nearest Toilets, Shower are back at the Bayments Farm Yard, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, There is a Group Latrine that is to be used in all case's, it is a requirement of the Landowner.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

Group Meal,
There is normally a Group Meal on Saturday would anyone attending like to offer to do it?

(The Group meals are supplied but the person making them, then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Other Info
We probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

The Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland, we are allowed to drop off and pick up at the woodland, if the ground is too wet then, most of the gear will have to walked in, I can arrange for help for people that can not walk that far due to a health reason, I need to know this in advance.

I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of Tarps, for a group shelter,

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own kit,

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
numbers_button_skype_logo.png
01284 713000 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals and how many nights you’re staying,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Remeavi Thanatos - 2 nights

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quite and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents, just outside of the village of Stansfield- Meet at H. E. Dennis & Son, Bayments Farm, Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN. 14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find.

Cost

Under 18s

Behaviour

Facilities

Housekeeping

Group Meal,

Other Info

First Aid

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
3. SJStuart - 2 nights

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england

Cost

Under 18s

Behaviour

Facilities

Housekeeping

Group Meal,

Other Info

First Aid

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
3. SJStuart - 2 nights
4. Zeon98 2 nights

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk

Cost

Under 18s

Behaviour

Facilities

Housekeeping

Group Meal,

Other Info

First Aid

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000 begin_of_the_skype_highlightin g

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
3. SJStuart - 2 nights
4. Zeon98 2 nights
5. mitch66 - 2 nights
6.​

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi guys,

Any of you last sunday chaps find my bahco laplander saw in its sheath last week? i put it in my cargo pocket and despite re packing can't find the blessed thing anywhere.

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea

Sorry Gents cant make this one as I will be on holiday with my family, we are renting a house in Wales right next to a 100 acre wood, so the hammock will be packed, for a night hanging in the trees.

On the Sunday of the last meet, a couple of us were chatting about the possibility of some group tee shirts or Polo shirts,
If people are interested then I would be happy to take on the organisation of this.

The first item that would need to be sorted is some kind of group badge,
if anyone has any suggestions then please post and we can come up with a consensus, then I can get things in motion.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester

Cost

Under 18s

Behaviour

Facilities

Housekeeping

Group Meal,

Other Info

First Aid

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000 begin_of_the_skype_highlightin g

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
3. SJStuart - 2 nights
4. Zeon98 2 nights
5. mitch66 - 2 nights
6. ROMAN-SOLDIER 2 nights

FioFO​

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK

Cost

Under 18s

Behaviour

Facilities

Housekeeping

Group Meal,

Other Info

First Aid

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000 begin_of_the_skype_highlightin g 01284 713000 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
3. SJStuart - 2 nights
4. Zeon98 2 nights
5. mitch66 - 2 nights
6. ROMAN-SOLDIER 2 nights
7. Broomstickize - 1 night (poss. 2)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE