Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Yeah it is, but what i woundered, would it not be good to spend the frist night on your own then walk in to meet up for the last night, just to compare kit that we have used....... And descuss pro/cons of what we used, and how we feel it could be bettered.

Yup well up for that, just read the Daniel Boone thread and that looks like a lot of fun. So to clarify you are suggesting that the first day and night is spent in the woodland but solitary and using the same gear list parameters as in the original thread?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Yup well up for that, just read the Daniel Boone thread and that looks like a lot of fun. So to clarify you are suggesting that the first day and night is spent in the woodland but solitary and using the same gear list parameters as in the original thread?

My thoughts are that we should assemble at the start of day one at a pre-determined woodland, have a quick natter perhaps, then all branch out and find our own place to pitch for the night.
The next day we assemble either at the same place, or at another pre-determined pitch site where we make a group camp for the second night (though following the same parameters as the first night, sticking to our own gear, and having a good natter around a fire prepared and maintained by every member of the group)

I think it'd be a great addition to the idea for each of us to record video of our solo portion, and share them in here afterward so we can each see how each other performed (would be a great way to see if there's something you could do to improve your strategies and use of gear, or even just the way you make something)

Question is whether taking the hammock would be considered "cheating", since it's not on the challenge's gear list!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
My thoughts are that we should assemble at the start of day one at a pre-determined woodland, have a quick natter perhaps, then all branch out and find our own place to pitch for the night.
The next day we assemble either at the same place, or at another pre-determined pitch site where we make a group camp for the second night (though following the same parameters as the first night, sticking to our own gear, and having a good natter around a fire prepared and maintained by every member of the group)

I think it'd be a great addition to the idea for each of us to record video of our solo portion, and share them in here afterward so we can each see how each other performed (would be a great way to see if there's something you could do to improve your strategies and use of gear, or even just the way you make something)

Question is whether taking the hammock would be considered "cheating", since it's not on the challenge's gear list!

Which ever way we do it, i must admit i like the same woodland thing, agree a meeting point a grid ref on a map, to which we navigate the next day by foot using map and compass..not GPS..then set up as we would on our own, but meet around a fire for a chat about what we may have learnt about kit, the only problem with video not all of us have one, but a photo log would be good,

I think we should stick to the Boone list, and leave hammocks at home this time..... And all kit lists agreed before we go...:)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Which ever way we do it, i must admit i like the same woodland thing, agree a meeting point a grid ref on a map, to which we navigate the next day by foot using map and compass..not GPS..then set up as we would on our own, but meet around a fire for a chat about what we may have learnt about kit, the only problem with video not all of us have one, but a photo log would be good,

I think we should stick to the Boone list, and leave hammocks at home this time..... And all kit lists agreed before we go...:)

Agreed! Adds some orienteering to the challenge (though I think it would be sensible for those who fail badly at that after some considerable time to honestly concede defeat and switch to GPS... remembering that it doesn't matter to the rest of us whether you succeed or not, and you'd only be cheating yourself if you don't at least try)

I think the kit list on the challenge is very generous, actually! A knife AND an axe (or saw) seems way too easy to me! Perhaps an Axe, Knife or Saw would be a better challenge?

Given the lack of available woodlands also sporting fresh water sources, I think it's going to be essential to carry a two-day supply of drinking water with you. It's a shame because that removes the challenge of locating, collecting, filtering and purifying the water yourself... unless anyone knows of a suitable woodland with a fresh water river/lake we can use? Note that there are a lot of salt water tributaries around the coast that are unsutable for this as you'd have to desalinate the water before drinking it!

Shall we start compiling the final accaptable kit list now?

I'm thinking the following:
1) Knife, axe or saw (your choice)
2) Tarp (extra respect for those who choose to build a natural shelter)
3) Canteen
4) Canteen cup/billy can/suitable cooking container (your choice) and utensil (spork or whatever you use)
5) Flintsteel or similar natural sparking solution (extra respect for those who use friction with a spindle and (as applicable) bow made on the day)
6) Tinder pouch (extra respect for those who gather tinder on the day)
7) Food (I'm guessing hunting/trapping isn't going to be an option, unless anyone happens to have access to a woodland with the rights to do so?)
8) Two wool blankets or one bedroll
9) Inflatable ground mat (I add this because some of us, myself included, have serious back injuries that would be easily aggravated without)
10) Crook knife or multi-tool if you have one (for building something useful while out there).
11) Flashlight or candle (extra respect for candle over flashlight, even more for using nothing but your camp fire for light)
12) OS map and Compass (because we're meeting at given co-ordinates, you're going to need a map for sure... but extra respect if you don't need the compass to navigate)
13) Water carrier for the additional water (be that a bladder, a bag, or a jerrycan... whatever you have) - This is assuming we don't find anywhere with available water sources, otherwise substitute with whatever you use to purify water the way you prefer to do it!

As per the original challenge, we should all try to make something useful while out in the field... I'd suggest that a natural shelter most definitely counts!

Does that sound good? I'm just throwing ideas out here... feel free to contribute :)

Also think that a kit weigh-in (excluding water weight) would be cool. I know a light kit isn't the overall objective, but it'd be interesting for the sake of us improving our gear for the future!

Last edited:

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
That sounds like a well put together list Simon and this also sounds like alot of fun. i will be very keen to do this once i return from my holiday in two weeks time (abroad). Don't have a video recorder so will be photo shoot record.

Sabre 45
Waterproof jacket
Map and compass.
Knife and saw.
Food
Canteen and billy (crusader cup)
Two blankets (one to be modified into a ponch soon) and bivi bag.
No tarp as intend building a shelter
Fire steel
Collect tinder as i go.
Make spoon on location (or attempt same lolz).
spoon knife (yet to be obtained)
head torch
Source 2L hydration bag.
1x ortleib water carrier.
Hygiene kit, face flannel, toothpaste, toothbrush and bar of soap.
Toilet roll. (green leaves don't burn)
Water filter.
FAK

Going to see how i get on without additional ground mat as will use leaves or whatever and hopefully the old back will be up for it.

Can't find my weighing gizmo as the missus used it last to weigh suitcases so could be anywhere but estimated bag weight with food ex water is around twelve kilos.

Great suggestion Stu.

PS Mike love your idea of the group t shirts/ and embroidered badges!? I will have one in olive green or coyote brown in medium please. My thoughts on the design would be something simple with circular Suffolk bushcraft group around design. Perhaps of a humerous style design?

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I think the kit list on the challenge is very generous, actually! A knife AND an axe (or saw) seems way too easy to me! Perhaps an Axe, Knife or Saw would be a better challenge?
Shall we start compiling the final accaptable kit list now?

9) Inflatable ground mat (I add this because some of us, myself included, have serious back injuries that would be easily aggravated without)
10) Crook knife or multi-tool if you have one (for building something useful while out there).
11) Flashlight or candle (extra respect for candle over flashlight, even more for using nothing but your camp fire for light)
12) OS map and Compass (because we're meeting at given co-ordinates, you're going to need a map for sure... but extra respect if you don't need the compass to navigate)

Does that sound good? I'm just throwing ideas out here... feel free to contribute :)

Also think that a kit weigh-in (excluding water weight) would be cool. I know a light kit isn't the overall objective, but it'd be interesting for the sake of us improving our gear for the future!

That sounds like a well put together list Simon and this also sounds like alot of fun. i will be very keen to do this once i return from my holiday in two weeks time (abroad). Don't have a video recorder so will be photo shoot record.

Leatherman wave multitool
candle in Uco holder.
2x ortleib water carriers for the duration.
Hygiene kit, face flannel, toothpaste, toothbrush and bar of soap.
Toilet roll. (green leaves don't burn)
Water filter.
Going to see how i get on without additional ground mat as will use leaves or whatever and hopefully the old back will be up for it.

I think that a Knife, plus an Axe or Saw is a better Idea, especialy if you are building a natural shelter..

The thermarest ok, but could you not use the local foliage to make a mattress,

Think for safetys sake a small Torch should be carried as well, dealing with problems in candle light may be a bit harsh..

A crook knife I feel should be allowed, but not sure a multi-tool, the reason for just the crook knife is to carve your spoon...

for ground sheet or bivi bag just use the survial bag type bag

Of course hygine kit,

What sort of Filter we talking about the original Challange states a Milbank Bag I just like and want to keep the idea of sticking close to the original breif as far as kit goes... I suggested the group split come together as a way of getting more people doing it#

Heres the original Brief

lots of us will have read of American scouts relying on little equipment to discover the America we know now. these men have always been an inspiration to me and I thought that a challenge would be a good homage to them.
my challenge is this. with the following generic kit list spend two consecutive nights out. construct aleast one camp gadget. survive. enjoy yourself.
disclaimer-this is being run by me not as a moderator but as a member. bcuk has no connection to the challenge
kit list
2 wool blankets or one bedroll.
waterproof tarp.
knife
axe or saw. only one of them.
flint and steel.
tinder box
water bottle
billy can.
cup.
spoon
food
lighting preferably candle but torch is ok.
basic water filter. ie mill bank bag or the likes
rucksack to carry items in. more kudos to those who do not use a pack

if for whatever reason you cannot have an open fire either a stove or fire box is fine.
if water is not safe or readily available at usual site then an extra five litres is permitted

safety items
phone.
first aid kit
camera to take photos

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am thinking about asking Phil if we can use his woodlands as he has a couple, for the challange, say meet at our Base Camp at lunch time, walk to another spend a night there, then the following night camp Boone style back at the base camp on the second night.

We could either do it as an extra weekend to the monthly meet to make the monthly a four nighter, or have it as a sperate weekend, of course there will be a campsite fee if we used Phils place...

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
The thermarest ok, but could you not use the local foliage to make a mattress
I'd be willing to try, but I'd certainly take the thermarest along... last thing I want is to be stuck because I slept funny and my back refuses to move (it's not a matter of pain, when my back goes into spasm, I physically cannot move... a dangerous thing to happen when you're alone in the woods, particularly as the spasms can last days or even weeks once they start)
As much as I would love to go with the all-natural option, it'd be foolish of me to put myself at that level of risk knowing how prone I am to it (now, if circumstances left me no choice but to spend a night on a bed of ferns - or whatever - then fair enough, but we have a choice here and I'd rather play that part safe)

Aside from the thermarest, though, I fully intend to build a natural shelter instead of using the tarp (haven't made one in a very long time, could do with brushing up on that particular skill in practise again)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well finished the axe refurb....

So one kent pattern axe, complete with the helve from Ash roughed out at the last monthly meet, the mask is made from 4mm veg tan leather, as is the belt loop, I decided against cleaning the pattena from the axe head, and kept the bite profile to see how it cut.

I am pleased with the out come and the look of it, just run out of snap for the belt loop, so ordered some more today... Apart from that its
finished... Ready to try...

20130514_201915.jpg

20130514_201941.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'd be willing to try, but I'd certainly take the thermarest along... last thing I want is to be stuck because I slept funny and my back refuses to move (it's not a matter of pain, when my back goes into spasm, I physically cannot move... a dangerous thing to happen when you're alone in the woods, particularly as the spasms can last days or even weeks once they start)
As much as I would love to go with the all-natural option, it'd be foolish of me to put myself at that level of risk knowing how prone I am to it (now, if circumstances left me no choice but to spend a night on a bed of ferns - or whatever - then fair enough, but we have a choice here and I'd rather play that part safe)

Aside from the thermarest, though, I fully intend to build a natural shelter instead of using the tarp (haven't made one in a very long time, could do with brushing up on that particular skill in practise again)

Thats fair enough, would not want for you to suffer...

Next meet would be the ideal time to try shelter making, I was chatting to Colin today, he would like to join in, with this but his navigation skills need brushing up, so I said we would do some map skills at the next meet as well.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

So one kent pattern axe, complete with the helve from Ash roughed out at the last monthly meet, the mask is made from 4mm veg tan leather, as is the belt loop, I decided against cleaning the pattena from the axe head, and kept the bite profile to see how it cut.

I am pleased with the out come and the look of it, just run out of snap for the belt loop, so ordered some more today... Apart from that its

View attachment 18285

View attachment 18286

That's a very nice looking axe right there :)

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea

View attachment 18285

View attachment 18286

You have made a nice job of that.

This afternoon, I past a shop, and you came to mind.
I drove home from London a different way then usual, which took me down Hackney Rd, and whilst stuck in traffic, I was taken back by a guy sitting in the shop window swinging an axe surrounded by loads of wood shavings and many wooden spoons hanging behind him.
The shop was called 'Barn The Spoon' (http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/11/13/barn-the-spoon-spoon-carver/), strange to see in the East End of London.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, hope you are all well :) this is going to be a nice challange. but i think it would have to much of an impact on the woodland if we made natural shelter's instead of using a tarp, how much green stuff would you have to cut down to keep yourself dry if it was raining? lots, and lots of damage to the new site or any site. id go ape if it was my woodland. maybe im getting old, but it would upset me to see all the damage to a very nice little place stu has found:thanks: just so someone could tick a box, on a look what i done list.

nice axe stu.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
hi, hope you are all well :) this is going to be a nice challange. but i think it would have to much of an impact on the woodland if we made natural shelter's instead of using a tarp, how much green stuff would you have to cut down to keep yourself dry if it was raining? lots, and lots of damage to the new site or any site. id go ape if it was my woodland. maybe im getting old, but it would upset me to see all the damage to a very nice little place stu has found:thanks: just so someone could tick a box, on a look what i done list.

+1 to the above, I had similar thoughts.
Colin.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That's a very nice looking axe right there :)

Thank you

You have made a nice job of that.

This afternoon, I past a shop, and you came to mind.
I drove home from London a different way then usual, which took me down Hackney Rd, and whilst stuck in traffic, I was taken back by a guy sitting in the shop window swinging an axe surrounded by loads of wood shavings and many wooden spoons hanging behind him.
The shop was called 'Barn The Spoon' (http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/11/13/barn-the-spoon-spoon-carver/), strange to see in the East End of London.

Thank you, Its nice to know that people think of me, other then a load mouth oaffff. ;), i'll have a look at that link later

nice axe stu.

Thank You,

I did think about the impact , and made a personal choice to use a Tarp, and just lay stright on the ground on a survial bag for the frist night any way. If it was to be at the site then we would have to get permision to make shelters, as I would not want to upset Phil.

+1 to the above, I had similar thoughts.
Colin.

+ 1 to my above comment about shelter:)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

nice axe stu.

The only green stuff I'd be cutting down would be ferns to cover the "roof". The rest would be deadwood, and the ferns grow like weeds. Within a few weeks they'd have grown back with avengence!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE