Suffolk Bushcraft Group

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi dudes,
Also want to add my thanks to all da boiz for such a fantastic weekend of entertainment. Especial thanks for the hosting friday Stuart and to Paul for the saturday. Everyone was a pleasure to be with. Toby - glad to hear you are feeling better now, i didn't know you had toddled off home on foot, next time let me know and i'll give you a lift.
Great craic- see y'all at the Orchards.
TTFN
RTh

Last edited:

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Yes sorry I left with out saying good bye........ had to make a sharp exit or was not sure I would make it home. But all is well now, good to meet you and see you again soon.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I noticed you'd thrown up a couple more times on your trip home. Really good thing it wasn't anything more serious!

Still, at least you can say with some degree of certainty that it wasn't hammocking which made you ill ;)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
hope not, I will be pitching in the garden soon see how I get on

Sounds like a plan! I'm considering doing a complete random hike on Tuesday and pitching wherever I end up. I want to try out the 4x4 tarp I've had sitting here all last week, and more diverse woodland than we get around here. Not that I have anything against wall-to-wall pine trees or anything, but bloody hell do they make for dead ground with basically nothing to offer beyond space and firewood.

Got a couple of places in mind to start my journey, the most likely of which has a river running through it (hurray for not having to carry absurd amounts of water with me) as well as a nice diversity of naturally-separated trees. It's somewhere I've always wanted to set up camp every time I've been down there... so I figure "you live once, why not?"

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Sounds like a plan! I'm considering doing a complete random hike on Tuesday and pitching wherever I end up. I want to try out the 4x4 tarp I've had sitting here all last week, and more diverse woodland than we get around here. Not that I have anything against wall-to-wall pine trees or anything, but bloody hell do they make for dead ground with basically nothing to offer beyond space and firewood.

Got a couple of places in mind to start my journey, the most likely of which has a river running through it (hurray for not having to carry absurd amounts of water with me) as well as a nice diversity of naturally-separated trees. It's somewhere I've always wanted to set up camp every time I've been down there... so I figure "you live once, why not?"

The 4x4 is a lovely tarp, Carl had one out saturday and it does tempt me out of my Akto. Good luck for tuesday, hope you end up somewhere suitable. See you friday.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
2 Nighter at Orchards for the 5th and 6th April 2013,

Confirmed with Orchards. I thought it might be nice to get there on Friday night again as there will be more light as the clocks go forward - I am going straight from work, but arrival after midday is good.

All Welcome, Experienced, Newbies, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

http://www.orchardcampsite.co.uk/

The charge is £5 pppn.
There is wood that can be brought on site £7 per barrow - (cost divided amongst whole group).

There will be a Saturday Group Meal, Last time was a Beef Stew and Dumplings, cost of last time came to £3.00 each. (will try to keep to the same sort of cost...but that's down to how much it cost from the Supermarket....) - Of course you can cater yourself if you require.

There is a Toilet Block (showers and toilets), open and water is available from Taps on the site,

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory ....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

Alan has said that there will be some other campers on site that weekend, how ever we can use a canoe on the river if anyone would like to bring one to go for a paddle.

I you plan to attend then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meal, and how many nights your staying.

If there is any activity you would like to do, just add it to the list, hopefully someone will be able to help, or you could show someone what to do.. :).

List of Attending
1. Big Stu -Group Meal - 2 nights
2. SJStuart - Group Meal - Friday
3. Rumcelt - Group Meal - 2 nights
4. Roman Soldier - Own Cater - 2 nights
5. Reamvi thantos - Own Cater - 2 nights

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I will be trying this week to arrange a Sunday Knife Making Session down at the Man Cave (Hadleigh) some time towards the end of April, it will have to fit in with the use of the workshop as I share it with a friend.

There will be a cost involved to cover Gas, Linishing Disc's, Electric ect... this cost I am hoping to keep to £15 per head.

All I am offering is the use of the Workshop and Equipment, use of all tools/Equipment will be at persons own risk, I am setting this up as I know that a few of the participating group members would like to make their own knife blades,

So get your old files in the fire at the next meet (Paul I still have yours in the back of the Landy that I rescued from the fire last time), or get you self some steel.... just remember there is more Handwork/Filing involved in working on a file to make a knife....

I those that would like to come can put their name down in the list I am trying to keep group numbers down, so it dose not get crowded.. Please only put your name in the list if your are serious about attending as I have to arrange it with my Workshop Partner and dont want to but any other use at risk, for other sessions making knives or anything else for the group.

I have put Paul and Tony in list as I know they are interested.

1. Rumcelt
2. Roman Soldier
3. Iambosscat
4. SJStuart

Last edited:

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I would be very interested too and can supply some worn 6" and 12" files to anyone who needs them and am happy to bring a box of flap and grinding disks too. I also have brass rod if anyone would like some to fasten handles.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Group kit

i was wondering whether people would want to share some kit for the group meets ie parachute/shelter etc, if so please list below

1. cam net - Roman Soldier
2. Large tarp......
3. support rope.....
etc etc

Paul

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I will be trying this week to arrange a Sunday Knife Making Session down at the Man Cave (Hadleigh) some time towards the end of April, it will have to fit in with the use of the workshop as I share it with a friend.

There will be a cost involved to cover Gas, Linishing Disc's, Electric ect... this cost I am hoping to keep to £15 per head.

All I am offering is the use of the Workshop and Equipment, use of all tools/Equipment will be at persons own risk, I am setting this up as I know that a few of the participating group members would like to make their own knife blades,

So get your old files in the fire at the next meet (Paul I still have yours in the back of the Landy that I rescued from the fire last time), or get you self some steel.... just remember there is more Handwork/Filing involved in working on a file to make a knife....

I those that would like to come can put their name down in the list I am trying to keep group numbers down, so it dose not get crowded.. Please only put your name in the list if your are serious about attending as I have to arrange it with my Workshop Partner and dont want to but any other use at risk, for other sessions making knives or anything else for the group.

I have put Paul and Tony in list as I know they are interested.

1. Rumcelt
2. Roman Soldier
3. Iambosscat

Count me in... and I may even be able to bring along some 120cm square plates of 1/4" 440 Stainless Steel, of course that'd require milling to shape as well as grinding/filing the edge, then hardening. This is only a "might" as I'm not sure how many of the plates I'll be using for my own work here, and they haven't even been delivered to me yet (serves me right for choosing the cheapest supplier with the cheapest shipping option, I guess)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Group kit

i was wondering whether people would want to share some kit for the group meets ie parachute/shelter etc, if so please list below

2. Large tarp......
3. support rope.....
etc etc

Paul

I can always bring along the Frontier Stove since that's useful for cooking on and keeping 3 litres of water at the boil (on tap). That is, once it gets going anyway ;)

I do have a very large parachute packed away somewhere... but it's amongst a mountain of packed boxes I haven't opened in 5 years, and for all know may've been eaten by spiders and rats by now. I'll try to dig it out at some point soon, though!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
thinking about it, I could chuck a 47kg propane in the van too if it would help?

Thanks for the offer of bringing the Gas, but the workshop is shared with a mate of mine as are costs for it, i'll tell you more when I see you, but I have to consider my position with the workshop... I know when people chip in stuff to cut costs it gets messy, I don't mean to be negative, and its easier to just put a cost to it.. its like group meals before some people have brought parts of it, things get forgotten or just don't turn up, and sorting out money gets a muddle. I am a great fan of K.I.S.S... I've sort of learnt from my mistakes in the past. I think as it is a first time , I need to get my mate on side.

Count me in... and I may even be able to bring along some 120cm square plates of 1/4" 440 Stainless Steel, of course that'd require milling to shape as well as grinding/filing the edge, then hardening. This is only a "might" as I'm not sure how many of the plates I'll be using for my own work here, and they haven't even been delivered to me yet (serves me right for choosing the cheapest supplier with the cheapest shipping option, I guess)

Thank you for the offer, one thing I will pint out we do not have a milling machine, also the Harding for stainless is a bit more temperamental the stainless, and requires a more controlled methodology then just using a Gas furnace with no real temp control, other then by using eye, from my memory, but your welcome to try.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Group kit

i was wondering whether people would want to share some kit for the group meets ie parachute/shelter etc, if so please list belowPaul

2. Large tarp...... - Big Stu - already in use at meets
3. support rope.....
4. Griddle - Big Stu - already in use at meets
5. Coleman Lamp - Big Stu - already in use at meets
6. Tripod/with extension - Big Stu - already in use at meets
7. 8ltr Dutch Oven Big Stu - already in use at meets
etc etc

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Hi Guys, I was wondering if it would be ok if I come along to your meet at the weekend, my work has been pretty much full on the last month, and its only just easing up.
I am a definite for Saturday, but still unsure if I have to work Friday night yet. If I do I would like to attend Saturday morning until Sunday, if I am not working then I will be along Friday, of course that is if its ok with you all.
It would be good meeting and putting faces to the threads that I have been following.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Been a busy bunny this morning, I am now a paid up member as a Maker on BCUK upgraded today :),

Made myself a new Bishop Bag for my Hammock, unpack and pack away with ease :)

Made Rumcelt a set of Tree Huggers, and ordered some more webbing to make some more, I will be selling the singularly, as people have broken a couple, and its handy to have a spare....

Made a selection of Stuff Sacks, so if anyone's interested, I'll be bringing them at the weekend, I got some with cord through, some without, got a selection of colours and sizes, and of course if you want a certain size just ask....

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Guys, I was wondering if it would be ok if I come along to your meet at the weekend, my work has been pretty much full on the last month, and its only just easing up.
I am a definite for Saturday, but still unsure if I have to work Friday night yet. If I do I would like to attend Saturday morning until Sunday, if I am not working then I will be along Friday, of course that is if its ok with you all.
It would be good meeting and putting faces to the threads that I have been following.

Thats no problem Mike , it will be good to meet you, come and join in, will you be needing the Group Meal. prob will be Beef Stew and dumplings?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
2 Nighter at Orchards for the 5th and 6th April 2013,

Weather is now getting warmer so a good one to Test and try new and old gear ready for the summer season.

Confirmed with Orchards. I thought it might be nice to get there on Friday night again as there will be more light as the clocks go forward - I am going straight from work, but arrival after midday is good.

All Welcome, Experienced, Newbies, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

http://www.orchardcampsite.co.uk/

The charge is £5 pppn.
There is wood that can be brought on site £7 per barrow - (cost divided amongst whole group) last time two barrows were used (£2 to £3).

There will be a Saturday Night Group Meal, Last time was a Beef Stew and Dumplings, cost of last time came to £3.00 each. (will try to keep to the same sort of cost...but that's down to how much it cost from the Supermarket....) - Of course you can cater yourself if you require.

There is a Toilet Block (showers and toilets), open and water is available from Taps on the site,

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory ....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

Alan has said that there will be some other campers on site that weekend, we can use a canoe on the river if anyone would like to bring one to go for a paddle.

I you plan to attend then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meal, and how many nights your staying.

If there is any activity you would like to do, just add it to the list, hopefully someone will be able to help, or you could show someone what to do.. :). I f I remember right someone did say they would like a go at spoon carving, so no doubt that will be on the list :).

List of Attending
1. Big Stu -Group Meal - 2 nights
2. SJStuart - Friday Only
3. Rumcelt - Group Meal - 2 nights
4. Roman Soldier - Own Cater - 2 nights
5. Reamvi thantos - Own Cater - 2 nights
6. Mitch66 - Group Meal ? -1/2 nights
7. Mikesmith777 - Group Meal - 1/2 nights

I've added you Carl, think you said you were coming, but not sure how many days, do you want a meal?

Looking like a nice little meet again :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE