Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Hi guys, I got home ok but felt like absolute crap. All day Friday I felt great and had a great time, went to bed (hammock) woke up at 3 am for the obligatory over 35's early morning wee lol and could hardly walk straight!! I presumed this was due to sleeping in the hammock. Man did I feel bad, I just about managed to pack up my stuff and walk out of there after throwing up a few times.

When I finally got home I found out most of my family were also really sick, my 2 kids and my nephew were all bad. We were all out for a family meal the Thursday night for my daughters birthday so were now thinking it may be food poisoning. I wont mention the name of the well known Pizza establishment we went to!! I was in bed sick as a parrot all day yesterday and have just got up now and feeling a bit better although my stomach hurts like hell (and that's a big proportion of my body!)

Any way back to the Friday. It was a real pleasure to meet everyone, I really appreciate all the time you gave to teaching me and explaining things.

I picked up a lot of knowledge for my first time out

How to pitch a tarp and hammock and now I've been out once, I'm going to have a play around with some other setups in the garden and try out the new knots I learned from Stuart.
How to collect firewood and identify "fat wood" and birch wood
How to collect tinder, dry pine needles, birch bark without damaging the tree, and string and Stuarts belly button fluff lol
I also learned how to prepare and light the fire with a flint steel.
How to feed a fire correctly and keep it going including how to leave it overnight to make it easy to relight in the morning.
How to create a secret stash of dry wood for the morning fire (wink)
How to make char cloth
What type of food to bring with the nessesary carbs fats and proteins.
How to take a crap in the woods bushcraft stylee!
I also learned a hell of a lot about politics, nuclear physics, humanity and software development and how to make an IED with a Jetboil lol.

Thank you for lending me the carabiners and cordage and under blanket, thanks for all the hot water and the flap jack, it was all appreciated.

I would like to make a couple of apologies, firstly my phone alarm went off in the morning (I'm working 7 days a week at the moment and forgot it was set) phone will be switched off next time and sorry I was not any help breaking down camp in the morning, I know you are supposed to leave site with no trace of us being there and would of loved to help and learn this other skill, but was not physically capable Saturday morning, so next time If you will have me back I will do it for you If you will show me.

This meeting has helped me make some descisions on what kit I need and what I don't need so will be adjusting everything to keep things to a minimum.

I had a great time and cant wait to do it again. I hope you all enjoyed it too with me being a stranger there infiltrating your group and hope you had a great second night out.

Thanks to all, it was a pleasure.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Good time last night, good Crack.
raqy9yju.jpg
good morning from Captain Snugpak. With his flash DD 4 x 4 tarp. Very nice
a8umu7y2.jpg
who brought the gnome?
5avu7use.jpg
minus 32 windchill lol
3egysasu.jpg
the genuine woodgas mk2 and squirrel stove.
2ahu2a5y.jpg
special forces? Only on the hammock lines lol
9agepesy.jpg
tony with his friends lmao.
Good company thanks lads

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Some good pics there, nice to see them here's some of mine,

WOW.... -32 Paul...... some good pics there mate.

Had two nice nights out away from mainstream life, Friday night spent out in Rendlsham, sharing some experience and information and passing it on to new members is great, Two new Guys turned up Krikland and Toby, Toby you are most welcome, and glad to see you got home , I did get your text mate but the phone just about booted up to see that you were home , thanks for sending it, sorry for not relying , my phone died and would not let me send.... your welcome out any time, its good to see a new enthusiastic members.

The weather threw every thing at us, snow, rain, sleat, but the night temp was very good, no frozen condensation on the inside of the tarp.

DSC_0802.jpg
Tony Show Toby a fire lay
DSC_0803.jpg
Kirkland Pitch
DSC_0804.jpg
Tobys Pitch
DSC_0805.jpg
Simons Pitch
DSC_0806.jpg
Krikland
DSC_0807.jpg
Tony Chilling
DSC_0808.jpg
DSC_0812.jpg
DSC_0813.jpg

Got home Saturday , had the obligatory comfort break repacked then picked up Tony and Kirkland to head over to meet Paul and Karl at Donnylands for a small walk in to our second night out near Colchester, Not a bad site this time very unmanaged, so much so we had trouble to find place to pitch.. lol.

Once pitched started to collect wood for the fire, and the chat started... had a good look at the 4x4 fro DD that Karl had pitched, I am glad I got one coming from the Group Buy now :),

The weather was very changeable as well but more sun was had then the Friday, but the temp dropped as soon as the light went and the condensation on the inside of the Tarps was frozen with in a short space of time, Had a comfortable night, it was nice to hear some wild life and the woodpecker giving the trees a hammering.... it just good to be in a mixed woodland then a thick planted Fir..

A great two night with some great lads , great banter, and some more discussions about kit and some lessons learnt... Thank you Guys

Looking forward to Orchards next weekend :)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Really glad you made it home, Toby, and some great pics there from both the Rendlesham and Colechester meets :)

Funnily enough, I went to a certain popular Pizza chain a few weeks ago, and spent the following day in the bathroom feeling like death. Perhaps, Toby, we should report them? I bet we went to the exact same one, too, on a certain retail estate!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Would that one be near asda or sainsbury, wife want to go tomorrow and would rather not go to the same one.

Cheers

Chris

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
In my case, the one near Sainsburys (right next to the Burger King), and it was Pizza Hut.

I had to call off a night in the woods because I couldn't leave dashing distance of the toilet that night, and had it coming out of both ends all the following day.

Makes you wonder what they put in that stuffed crust!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I had a buddy worked at McDonalds in a craphole called Bolton (Manchester area). He quit after he saw two of the other guys working there "tampering" with the "special sauce" (which, by the way, is just French mayo left out by the grill all day).

None of this surprises me in the slightest. All the more reason to grow your own veggies, raise your own lifestock, and cook your own food :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
yes indeed it was the place on Ransomes Euro park.......... I try not to eat out anymore as most places are run by 12 year olds with no hygiene skills. Cant beat home cooked food. When I go out and pay for a meal, I mean a proper meal at a restaurant I expect better food than I or the wife can cook, most of the time its disappointing.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, just like to say thanks to everyone for a grate time last night :). big stu, thanks for your help with my larger tarp set-up. paul & tony thanks for the entertainment. kirkland thanks for showing my something elce id like from heinnie haynes. my thermometer read -2. thanks again carl

Last edited:

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I've just bought an Arthur Wright Bushcraft Knife with rosewood handle from HH cant justify the cost of the one Kirkland had beautiful knife though, I hope I'm pleased with the Arthur Wright item. I'm also hoping to make my own knife on Stuarts Forge one day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE