Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Also sorry to but in, but I have just received my second maxpedition 12x5 to balance up my Falcon 2 I got mine from Heinnies maxpedition is awesome stuff............. Unfortunately my Tatonka folding handel mug has still not arrived from Outdoor GB....... Three weeks they say ! nice. I bought a metal mug today so I can use it this Friday as my mess tins wont fit in my kit at the moment. Hopefully this will do me for one night.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Sorry to but in but Heinnies or Amazon have the 12x5. i got mine from Amazon. Nice bit of kit. Good luck.
No Thankyou Reamvithantos any reply is allways welcome, i found them on the heinnies site but i would find id hard to just buy the 3 maxpedition bits only and sometime they are a little expensive, a mate of mine has an account with them and he gets a xmass card? lets just say he's a collector of fine blades. thanks for your time, carl

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
No Thankyou Reamvithantos any reply is allways welcome, i found them on the heinnies site but i would find id hard to just buy the 3 maxpedition bits only and sometime they are a little expensive, a mate of mine has an account with them and he gets a xmass card? lets just say he's a collector of fine blades. thanks for your time, carl

Ohh wonder if i'll be on their x mas list:empty:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I got both of my 12x5 pouches from Fenix Torches (the UK site) but they currently don't have the Khaki one in stock so it looks like the other suggestions may be a better bet right now :)

I got everything today except for a Zebra billy can (the store was completely out of stock). Too late to get them in time for Friday, so I'll just empty the contents into my canteen cup and heat it up the old-fashioned way. Cooks just the same, so no big deal for now :p

Got a lovely reel of DMM 11mm static climbing rope, too! About to string up the hammock and thread it through to replace the crappy webbing loops. I'll be doubling up the tree huggers for Friday as well (just in case the weather decides to kill another one) and the self-inflating matress should make the same degree of difference that Paul's did on Saturday (kept my **** warm... and that's what matters!)

I've also decided to pitch two tarps on Friday (one inside the other with a gap between). I want to see if it provides sufficient insulation and allows me to keep the tarp from blowing in against the hammock and sapping out heat like on Saturday. That said, it all comes down to the trees! If there are the right trees in the right places, I can string the hammock further away from the tarp sides and that'll work great too!

Anyway, proof of the pudding is in the tasting, so there's no point in me theorizing what difference these modifications will make.... I just have to test them out!

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi, Simon would you have the name of the maxpedition importer or a store that you would recomend, as i would like to get two 12"x5" water bottle bags with joining straps and a E-trec GPS case all in khaki for my pack, did you have any joy getting your kit list today if so what size pot? if you require a hand with your hammock mods im only to glad to give you a hand at our next meet. paul, did you get the yellow tarp ridge line from dave at hammocking solutions ? his work is spot on and prices are very good. would you also have the make of your wood stove to ? i have the bush buddy but it a very light weight unit and yours just looks stronger and from what ive seen of yours is very reliable even if its a bit on the dark side. thanks for your time carl ps , good chance i will make the next weekend meet but with 2 kids thing's change so il wait a bit before i sign on the list.

Carl my stove is the "wild stoves woodgas mk2" and yes I bought the yellow ridgeline same as yours. I've already had it set up in the playroom.
I plan on spending Saturday night in the Colchester location, loads of fire wood and trees, lovely location with a small stream close by although puritabs may be required. I'm also going to take some bin bags and clear up those beer cans etc from the tossers that left them. I can confirm sainsbury don't do those boil in the bags that tesco do so I will be going there. Paul

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I could be considered a womble been to site and cleaned it all up ready for saturday night. 2 bin bags of beer cans and torn tarps. Really tempted to go out tonight..... Taking swmbo out tomorrow evening so can't do Friday night.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Packed and ready for the weekend....:D:D:D

Just got to put the water in the Landy, the Griddle/tripod/and lantern is in there already, just got to wait untill miday to pick up Rumclet......

2013-03-29 08.44.07.jpg

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
yup, I too am all packed and ready to go and excited, Im looking forward to this, hopefully I will learn a lot without annoying people with too many questions lol

I would put a picture up of my kit if I knew how !

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
yup, I too am all packed and ready to go and excited, Im looking forward to this, hopefully I will learn a lot without annoying people with too many questions lol

Too many Questions!! cant ask enough... everyone always can learn something..if you want to ask a question ask it, we may not have the answer but we'll try... the best one to learn things at is the monthly meetings as there is more time to play....

You'll find the there's a couple of things that really get my goat...

All Gob and No go/all the gear no idea...

And the Know it all's that have done everything and become experts in six weeks...lol.

Bushcraft to me is about gaining Knowledgeable, I've been doing out doorsie things for nearly 40 years since I joined Cubs...and still learn loads every time I go out or come on here..... :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Packed, loaded and just waiting on the kids to finish getting ready then off I set (being dropped off by the Mrs rather than parking my motorbike out in the open overnight)

Feels weird having just one huge bag with me instead of the three I normally take out, but that's life, right?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Couple of photos from last night...

DSC_0307.JPG

If you look carefully you can see there are two snakeskins (one for the hammock, another for the underquilt).

DSC_0308.JPG

The other side (can't do one without the other, right?)

DSC_0312.JPG

The other guys (no tripod so I'm behind the camera). For the life of me I've no idea what Stu was saying and doing when I took this shot... but it looks really dodgy :p

Obligatory photos of the other guy's pitches:
DSC_0313.JPG

DSC_0314.JPG

DSC_0315.JPG

... and a random photo of a Jetboil because we were discussing it:
DSC_0318.JPG

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
My Mrs will be back in the next 15-20 minutes. If Toby hasn't checked in by then, I'm going to go back out and try to find him.

He wasn't feeling so good this morning :|

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I really hope Toby made it home. I've just gotten back in having gone to search for him in the woods... can't find any sign of him anywhere :(
I'm hoping he just got home and went directly to bed!

If you're reading this, Toby, please reply just to let us know you're home and safe!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Still nothing from Toby (I'm quite worried now... and I've no way of contacting his home to see if his Mrs has heard from him etc). If there's nothing come morning, I'm going back out to search from where I left off.

More than likely I'm worrying over nothing... but he really wasn't so well when he set off for home, and it's quite a trek from where we were set up!

In other news (this is for the guys who were asking about the weight of my Bergen)... I weighed it! 37kg (81.57lbs). How the hell? I mean, I know some of my gear was quite wet when it went back in the bag, so that adds weight, but when I weighed it in yesterday before I set off it came it at 23kg (50.7lbs). That's one hell of an increase in weight!

Anyway, I admittedly was carrying a lot of stuff I thought I'd need (expected a much colder night than we had) so I've just paired everything down and now it weighs in at just 15.3kg (33.73lbs)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE