Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am not a fan of the Jetboil, bit of a one trick pony, but good for what they are designed for...boil water fast.... and only runs on Gas, so you have to make sure you have got enough, the other thing with gas is the operating temps... to cold and the pressure drops...

Myself I have a Hexi burner, and a small esbit burner cup set, also I use a Swiss Army Trangia, its always a trade of between weight size and comfort, so you got to decide what you want to do, if its lightweight camping then you got to go light weight, myself I like the SAT to the Trangia, as it gives you a wind sheild can be used with meths, wood, hexi if really needed, also give you different ways of cooking as well, I perfer to cook over wood all the time, then you got the wood gas stove, myself if your using one of them then you may as well have a small fire, some do carry kitty litter for fuel, but if your doing that then you may as well use meths/gas/hexi..

As I say its horses for courses, and its what you come to like and get used to, in some ways unless you are doing a lightweight walk in, and Hiking some distance, weight and space should not be an issue..

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Thanks for the advice guys I will do a bit more research,

I would be up for the stealth camp in Rendlesham next week that's what im trying to get my cook kit sorted for.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
As Stu says, it depends what you're after. I've seen a lot of people just carrying around the infamous IKEA stove, and feeding it from kindling sticks, using a couple of tent/tarp pegs as a pot stand and away you go. Note that the IKEA stove doesn't fit inside the 12x5 (I've tried... it's way too large)

If you're going to have a natural camp fire, you don't need anything else in your kit since you can cook directly in the Tatonka mug (I've done it many times).

Again, it's a tradeoff between flexibility and weight/bulk. The more fuel options you cater for, the more weight/bulk you have to carry.

To be honest, aside from the smaller two pans in my Coleman set, the Tatonka mug and my alcohol/meths stove (and fuel bottle)... I don't really know of a good "cook kit" that'll fit comfortably inside the 12x5. The Jetboil does, but as Stu said... it's "a one trick pony"

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
nice pics, looks like you had a cold night, was it a new type DD tree hugger or the old black ones?...

I am going to make some more tree huggers sometime this week, thinking about another new design that I been thinking about for a while.

My mistake the tree straps were from UK hammocks not DD, Matt has already agreed to replace it, no quibble.

Think I may get some seat belts or climbing straps now as my confidence Is lacking.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Clearly these tree huggers aren't designed for such temperature/moisture extremes!

I did have some of the new DD tree huggers, but had issues with then on the first hang I did with them, DD replaced them with the old type, not had any problems since, before I had the dd ones I used to make my own, but at that time could not be bothered, one of the main problems I have noticed with whoopie slings and the marlin spike knot is that unless it is done right the whoopie sling can rub/melt its way through the tree hugger, I dont think its a temp/moisture problem, but never say never..

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi Guys, can you give me some advice please, I'm trying to sort my cook kit out (hopefully before next weekend). I have Maxpedition 12x5 with a 40 ounce Kleen Kanteen, a Tatonka (when Outdoor GB actually deliver it)mug and Sea to Summit knife fork and spoon all of which I'm very happy with but the thing I'm struggling with is a stove. It has to be light weight. I was thinking about the Jetboil flash and sticking it in another 12x5 on the other side of my pack, any suggestions greatfully received. I do have British army issue mess tins and fold out hexamine stove from back in the day but what do you guys recommend for a more compact package as these wont fit in a 12x5 which is kind of a must for me. How do people get on with the little meths/alcohol burning stoves as I quite fancy one of those but then have to carry around the meths.

I use a wood gas stove with a small trangia meths burner as a backup and also an ikea stove sometimes. Used both last night.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
My mistake the tree straps were from UK hammocks not DD, Matt has already agreed to replace it, no quibble.

Think I may get some seat belts or climbing straps now as my confidence Is lacking.

I'm going Carl's route and getting some industrial-grade climbing rope and minimizing the number of connected parts (I want just one connecting part on the hammock suspension per side).

Also, for Stu's sake... my tree huggers are the newer DD ones (brown webbing material) which have been fine up until last night (where one of them grew massively sending the hammock tumbling, and my whoopie sling flying with the sound of a high-tension cable snapping)
First time I've ever had a tree strap fail me, but again I have to stress just how cold and wet it was last night! I think we went beyond the material tolerances!

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
nyrunu8y.jpg
para4udy.jpg

Glad I was only sitting in it prior to packing up, I would have been upset if it went during the night, yup another vote for Carl's setup

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It's rare to see tree huggers fail... but seriously, has anyone ever seen two fail in one night? This is what leads me to think we just went beyond the material tolerance with the temperature and moisture. Mine stretched (and I've now had a look and determined that it's stressed the material so much I have to replace the hugger now) and yours went further and broke (probably due to the added weight of your underquilt?)

Carl's setup is far more robust because his has only one connection between the strap and the hammock (mine has three, and I believe yours does too Paul, am I right?) and his material is massively overengineered (designed for a much heavier-duty use)

Personally, I'm not going to complain too much that my hugger failed simply because we were hammocking in such an extreme (once you factor in the ice and wind chill, the numbers become completely absurd) that DD and UKH likely never imagined anyone being crazy enough to spend a night in ;)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I had the Brown ones from DD, that ended up like this... after two nights, that was back in November

Tree Hugger Damage.jpg

I now have the Old Black ones which seem better, used my own 2" home made ones before with no troubles, I know that I used heavier duty webbing then the ones that I have had from DD, maybe that's why I never had a fail before, even through the wet and cold that I have hung in, is it the fact that people are always chasing the weight pack size goal, and thats what drives what the manufactures use... there has to be something that gives in the end?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Personally, I'm not going to complain too much that my hugger failed simply because we were hammocking in such an extreme (once you factor in the ice and wind chill, the numbers become completely absurd) that DD and UKH likely never imagined anyone being crazy enough to spend a night in ;)

I am still not that convinced that is is the weather, -6 is not that extreme... loads of people are out this time of year in worse then this... some have even been to Norway, in -25 type extremes in hammocks on this forum

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I am still not that convinced that is is the weather, -6 is not that extreme... loads of people are out this time of year in worse then this... some have even been to Norway, in -25 type extremes in hammocks on this forum

With the amount of water buildup and the wind chill factored in, anything wet in the wind last night would easily have been hitting the -25 mark. Hell, all of our lines were frozen solid to the trees this morning when we were packing up. Besides, I'd imagine the tree huggers they use in places like Norway are more substancial than the ones we're getting from DD and UKH?

All I know is that two tree huggers of slightly different types failed in a similar way on the same night under the same conditions.... and neither of us were overloading on weight. We hung properly, so that leaves environmental conditions as the only remaining suspect.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, i got home ok, roads were a bit tricky a 184mile all round trip. id like to thank simon and paul for a grate night, it was a bit on the chilly side, but it was ok. The small meths stove is a white box stove, the larger one of the two they make, i bought it from backpackinglight they sell some good kit. have you boys been to tesco yet to get your :) boil in the bag grub. thanks for the bags simon, but one of the looks a bit yellow lol. (only joking) paul thanks for the snakeskin and dont forget the larger unit :) hope your happy with the knife. all the best carl

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It's not yellow, Carl, it's Khaki ;)

I haven't been up to Tesco today (they close at 4PM on Sundays, and I've had a lot to get done today (busy busy... gotta pay for the gadgets and gear somehow, right?) but I'll be going to Tesco tomorrow evening for the weekly shop anyway so I'll be looking for them!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just found out there is a weekend in Hatfield forest wild camping in August Trying to find out some more details..........

Found some....

http://www.visiteastofengland.com/S...kend/details/?dms=13&venue=0230065&feature=10

Think I may well go...

Just had a call from the lady at NT... the only fire that is allowed in teh communial fire and there is not a lot of room around that to cook, all cooking is therefore done on stoves.... now I am not sure if I really want to go ac the fire thing is most of a camp to me.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE