Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Met up with Iambosscat (Toby) this evening to go through some gear (tarps, hammock, suspension, cook kit etc)
Had a great time, just wish the Mrs hadn't taken this extra night shift because we'd only really just got the pitch set up when we had to start packing down again :(

Funniest part was watching him sit in a hammock on whoopie slings for the first time... you know what it's like, the whole "is this going to hold me" thing every single one of us whoopie-using tree dwellers has gone through. Amazing stuff, that Amsteel!

Was a real pleasure, Toby! Any time you want to go out and test gear (or do some overnight camping whatever) give me a shout :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Met up with Iambosscat (Toby) this evening to go through some gear (tarps, hammock, suspension, cook kit etc)
Had a great time, just wish the Mrs hadn't taken this extra night shift because we'd only really just got the pitch set up when we had to start packing down again :(

Funniest part was watching him sit in a hammock on whoopie slings for the first time... you know what it's like, the whole "is this going to hold me" thing every single one of us whoopie-using tree dwellers has gone through. Amazing stuff, that Amsteel!

Was a real pleasure, Toby! Any time you want to go out and test gear (or do some overnight camping whatever) give me a shout :)

It does catch out people that first time seeing something so thin holding loads for weight, I was not so weary as I used to use dynneema to Hold down Very large display kites, I've even see a Volvo Estate be drag'd backwards by some kites in high winds.....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It does catch out people that first time seeing something so thin holding loads for weight, I was not so weary as I used to use dynneema to Hold down Very large display kites, I've even see a Volvo Estate be drag'd backwards by some kites in high winds.....

It's strong stuff indeed. To be honest, the tree huggers concerned me more than the Amsteel. Fortunately I've come to trust the material now.

Toby did me a favor, too! He weighs a bit more than me, so when he sat on my hammock he helped get more of the "bedding-in stretch" of the loop webbing out of the way. That means the next time I do a night in the hammock, I won't have to get up to tighten things up (granted, only had to do that twice so far)

I'm about to place an order for the DD 4x4 Tarp :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Ha ha yes quite supprised.... Im quite heavy, was good to meet and cant wait to try out my new kit, is there anywhere else that does the Tatonka folding handle mug you have, there is a minimum order charge from Outdoor Ranger? I hate minimum order charges, cos I end up buying stuff I dont want!

looking forward to a group meet too.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Ha ha yes quite supprised.... Im quite heavy, was good to meet and cant wait to try out my new kit, is there anywhere else that does the Tatonka folding handle mug you have, there is a minimum order charge from Outdoor Ranger? I hate minimum order charges, cos I end up buying stuff I dont want!

looking forward to a group meet too.

Your best bet is probably going to be to contact Uttings and ask when they can get them in stock. I've made several orders with them and had no problems. At the moment I can't find anywhere else that actually has any (and Bonzenmoon are absolutely not an option)

I'm looking around now to see if I can find any in stock anywhere... I'll let you know if I find any.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Okay, guys... plus-temperature nights have arrived, so is it time for me to stop using the Snugpak Elite 5 and go back to a less-bulky, lighter bag (one which enables me to go back to a smaller pack)?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
It's strong stuff indeed. To be honest, the tree huggers concerned me more than the Amsteel. Fortunately I've come to trust the material now.

Toby did me a favor, too! He weighs a bit more than me, so when he sat on my hammock he helped get more of the "bedding-in stretch" of the loop webbing out of the way. That means the next time I do a night in the hammock, I won't have to get up to tighten things up (granted, only had to do that twice so far)

I'm about to place an order for the DD 4x4 Tarp :)

We tested our hammock, whoopi slings, 'biners and treehuggers to the hammock's weight limit, by getting me, the mrs and the smaller cub into it. All held up, but I later noticed the concrete fence post had a bit of lean on it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
When you look at it there should be no real worry about how much weight that the tree huggers or the suspention should hold, espcialy when they have been pruchased ftom a know supplier, its when you wander to the cheaper unknown ones, or when your using unknown items for exmaple using light weight luggage tie downs, that have no real loading detail on them..

I have no problem with weight, I am now only 17 1/2 stone, lost a few stone over the last few years so know how much the hammock stuff can hold no problem...

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
DSC_0251.JPG

Took the Frontier Stove for a test drive today while building the new fire pit. Having the heat source under the tarp (chimney taking exhaust way out and above the tarp, of course) was a real treat! Even this evening when it started getting pretty damn cold out there, my shelter was lovely and warm :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I don't want to be a "troll" or anything, but how can they call it "wild camping" when they've got public toilets, a picnic site, on-site refreshments, a gift shop and a visitor centre with park information?

That's more like going to a well-catered camp site if you ask me!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
IT may not be a wild as I would like but hey its a night out under the trees....

I am thinking about booking the frist one, Fri 28 - Sun 30 Jun 2013 and having a go....

I'll make my mind up this weekend

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Okay, guys... plus-temperature nights have arrived, so is it time for me to stop using the Snugpak Elite 5 and go back to a less-bulky, lighter bag (one which enables me to go back to a smaller pack)?

You had to say it! The cold weather is gone is it? Lol

Best you get that Elite 5 back out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE