Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
On a totaly different thread, I have been approched by Essex Outbacks about Public Liabilty Insurance, they have an Idea of a number of groups banding together, to make it more cost justifiable, they have also sugeested perhaps an umbrella Alliance to operate under this, I was wondering the thoughts of Suffolk Bushcraft Group Guys... now I dont want to start a converstion about it here...

All I would like to do is say have a think, and lets talk about it at the April Meet at Orchards.... I have also messaged Kev, Damascus from the Norfolk group, about there thoughts....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Anyone fancy a night out this weekend?

Saturday or Sunday night? Where are you thinking? I'm pretty sure I could clear the night with the owner of my woodland here, and I'm more than happy to do an overnighter this weekend (especially now with my Frontier Stove to keep my shelter warm)

[video=youtube;irjhX2j5lno]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irjhX2j5lno[/video]

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Saturday or Sunday night? Where are you thinking? I'm pretty sure I could clear the night with the owner of my woodland here, and I'm more than happy to do an overnighter this weekend (especially now with my Frontier Stove to keep my shelter warm)

[video=youtube;irjhX2j5lno]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irjhX2j5lno[/video]

Saturday night would be good, I'd like to see that stove and the tarp ties, I can bring your snakeskin too.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Saturday night would be good, I'd like to see that stove and the tarp ties, I can bring your snakeskin too.

I'll PM you my number. We should arrange a time and place to meet, and I'll call the landowner in the morning to let her know I'm going up. I doubt she'll have a problem given that she can't physically get her vehicle up the roadway with their caravan (too boggy at the moment)

Bring as much water as you need (25 litres recommended)

DD actually sent me a snakeskin for the hammock as a gift with the replacement whoopie slings (they're great like that) but I'm actually wanting a snakeskin for my emergency webbed hammock so that's cool! Got Karabiners for you too :)

If we do a double-pitch, we can set up the stove to keep us both warm for the night!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm happy to have one more along, sure :)

You won't be able to take your cars much past the gate (both because the roadway is boggy and because the landowner has told me not to use the roadway until they've got the caravan up there successfully), so you'll have to carry gear across the woods (about 150 yards, so not that far, and you can of course do it in multiple trips as needed)

We need to agree on a time and place to meet!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Jealous lads ive smashed my foot badly. Missing the outdoors so much.
Simon dropping you a pm.

I'll check out your PM in a moment (I'm cutting and packing new lines at the moment... decided I want different coloured line for different tie-off points).

Sorry to hear about your foot! I smashed the knuckle on my left little finger a few days ago while batoning wood. Doesn't hurt and I can move the finger, but the knuckle has gone black as coal!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Had a good night, despite the snow, the arctic wind and the -6C temperature.

Paul and Carl helped me make a few much-needed modifications to my hammock since I have no underquilt and it was far colder out there than I had expected.

I believe they both got some photos, but the cold killed all my batteries very quickly so the only one I got was of my face as I was tucked up inside my hammock.

I made an internal hammock ridgeline out of shotcord, over which I hung my wool blanket. I then wrapped that around the sleeping bag, and it kept me pretty damned warm right through til dawn.

Early packup, and I got home around 8:30AM (they'll both still be en-route to their respective homes now, hopefully they'll make it safely given the horrible road conditions)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
ahynahan.jpg
bupuneve.jpg
u5e9emy4.jpg
tyheqa4e.jpg
a good night out, thanks Simon. Lots of snow, wind and ice about. A real test of the kit, snug as a bug all night. Pity my DD tree hugger snapped an hour before I left, but at least it didn't break during the night. Carl's DD 4*4 tarp looked great, big enough but not too big, ordered my tarp ridgeline already after seeing his too.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
nice pics, looks like you had a cold night, was it a new type DD tree hugger or the old black ones?...

I am going to make some more tree huggers sometime this week, thinking about another new design that I been thinking about for a while.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Yours snapped and mine stretched.
Two hammockers fallen in one night... both due to failing tree huggers. The odds?

Clearly these tree huggers aren't designed for such temperature/moisture extremes!

It was a real pleasure having you to round. Cheers for all the help making my hammock bearable for the night (what with me having no underquilt and all that)

I'm just about thawed out now :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Hi Guys, can you give me some advice please, I'm trying to sort my cook kit out (hopefully before next weekend). I have Maxpedition 12x5 with a 40 ounce Kleen Kanteen, a Tatonka (when Outdoor GB actually deliver it)mug and Sea to Summit knife fork and spoon all of which I'm very happy with but the thing I'm struggling with is a stove. It has to be light weight. I was thinking about the Jetboil flash and sticking it in another 12x5 on the other side of my pack, any suggestions greatfully received. I do have British army issue mess tins and fold out hexamine stove from back in the day but what do you guys recommend for a more compact package as these wont fit in a 12x5 which is kind of a must for me. How do people get on with the little meths/alcohol burning stoves as I quite fancy one of those but then have to carry around the meths.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I carry a lovely little alcohol stove I got from Carl (mitch66) with a tiny bottle of meths (enough to boil my 2.5 litre kettle 5 times, or cook 10-12 tins of food)

Carl can tell you where he got it from (he told me this morning but I've forgotten the name already). It's very compact, and I could probably get it to fit alongside my Klean Kanteen and Tatonka mug in the 12x5... though I haven't tried because I store mine in my kettle (my "kettle kit")

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE