Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I will be carefull not to get it dirty Tuesday night and see how it goes.

You won't even need to take it out of the bag, buddy! I have the 3x3 as well as the XL, so I'll bring mine along for you to set up... that way if you look at it and determine it isn't right for you, you can legitimately tell DD that you never even took it out of the bag (and explain how you saw mine... they already know that a fair few Suffolk folk have upgraded to the XL after seeing mine in action)
Like I say, they're quality people and their service is... amazing beyond words!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
(and explain how you saw mine... they already know that a fair few Suffolk folk have upgraded to the XL after seeing mine in action)

I wonder how many of us have been using an XL before you meet the group.....;), myself I would go for the 4x4, I am ordering one at the end of the month I find that the XL when brought down to the floor leaves a too lower ridge for me , and sometimes is limited to the width between trees you can hang....of course you can fold in one end.

I also know that Tony is thinking the same, he's been using the XL for a while now think his is one of the first ones made..

Last edited:

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I have the 3*3 and it fine and I'd be happy to stay with it, but I'm looking at the 4*4 too just for a little treat I personally think the xl is too big for anything but a group shelter, you may as well have a tent. I know some of you love yours! Just giving my opinion :)

Sent from my Galaxy note 2

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I wonder how many of us have been using an XL before you meet the group.....;), myself I would go for the 4x4, I am ordering one at the end of the month I find that the XL when brought down to the floor leaves a too lower ridge for me , and sometimes is limited to the width between trees you can hang....of course you can fold in one end.

I also know that Tony is thinking the same, he's been using the XL for a while now think his is one of the first ones made..

I'm not just a member of this group, you know ;)

I must admit that 4x4 tarp looks very appealing...
If I can get one in Coyote Brown I'm ordering one (a guy can never have too many tarps imho)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Chaps,
I've just had a phone call from the owner of the woodland. She's having family coming down with their caravan (and her grandkids) explicitly for Easter (right over the weekend). This means we can't use that piece of woodland for the easter weekender :(
They haven't said 100% yet (and she said I should give her a call at the start of that week just in case their plans change), but she seemed fairly sure they'd be coming so I think we might do well to make an alternate plan because at this moment it looks like my land (by which I of course mean the land I have been given permission to use) won't be available. Our arrangement was that if she was using the place, I would keep clear so they can enjoy themselves and their privacy (which is of course fair).

It's a bummer, but to be honest it doesn't really change things too much (just means we have to travel lighter, I guess).

I'm still more than happy to fund two group meals etc, and the new toy I've bought is actually a frontier stove (complete with the water boiler attachment) I can rig it to produce no visible smoke from the flue stack. It's light enough for me to carry in and out, and packs down to a package smaller than a cat carrier!

I'm really sorry for having to change the plans all of a sudden, but at least there's still time for alternate plans to be made! In future, I'll be sure to clear any dates with the lady who owns the land as well as my Mrs schedule (against which all life must be penciled).

She's asked me also to extend her apologies, and make it clear that it's not because she doesn't want us making use of the place... it's just one of those classic cases of bad timing! Personally, I think they're overestimating the weather conditions (they're expecting warm sunny spring weather... I'm expecting torrential rain with chilly nights)

So, we need to make alternate arrangements. Obviously, location dictates what we bring and what we can do. My new stove does at least mean we can have a traceless fire for cooking and keeping warm (as well as a good supply of hot water, assuming we can take enough water with).

I am also willing to pay the per-head for Orchards if that's the only viable option left! That said, the original plan was to go stealth camping.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I know of a 100acre wood near Stowmarket, plenty of space to hide, mixed high forest, coppice and conifer. It is open to the public though

Cheers

Chris

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That's a shame and some bad news, oh well, I am up for a wild camp, the weekend before the Orchards one, Stowmarket one is a possible, it all depends on how many we would expect on a wild camp. best start a list of people that would be up for a fully wild camp and take it from there.. as the more that we have the harder it is to park up an amount of car's ect...

I am quite up for trying different places, including Paul's new place at Donnylands.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm up for a wild camp, though I'd have to have the Mrs take me to a drop-off point and collect me from said point afterward (no way I'm parking my VStrom in some arbitrary location where anyone could smash it up having totally failed to steal it)

I'm looking around at some other local private woodland. Most of it is owned by the same person (my landlord, in fact) so I'm thinking of seeking permission to use a swath of woodland dividing two farms (most of them are large enough to disappear into easily)

Still, chances are some of you will have a place you use often. Known territory is always a bonus :)

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
No worries, I'm up for whatever you guys want to go with I'm just up for meeting up and having a good couple of nights sharing stories and talking gear. Also as much as you SJS seem to be great in wanting to pay for group expenses, I'm more than happy to pay for my share. I'll keep checking the thread to see what is decided as I have no particular preferences as to location. Stowmarket is only fifteen miles away so for me that sounds nice.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Have you ever tried along the Railway walk near Hadleigh, plent of places along there? Just throwing some suggestions!

I have thought about it as I have walked through it a few times., I have found out who owns its now, and there is talks with a couple of guys I know to get permission on that woodland, so I will not use it as I would not want to put anyone permission In jeppody.. same as the bit of wood land I am after.... if some one else mucked it up I would be well pived....

I am still wondering about the place that Paul Knows, over at Donnylands, the places at Rendelsham we have used need a bit more resting really, it also depends on groups size. I would imagine it looks like about six of us...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE