Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Whos going to the Bushmoot now the Prices have been posted...

I am going on the 10th through to the 17th.... £115...

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just been out testing the new whoopie slings on my hammock.... holy hell is that easier to set up now! Damn near fell asleep in the thing with no sleeping bag, underquilt, or even "cold weather clothing" because I was able to tweak the sag to fit my comfort.

Cheers, Stu, for the pointers on the overnighter... made doing the conversion much quicker :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Just been out testing the new whoopie slings on my hammock.... holy hell is that easier to set up now! Damn near fell asleep in the thing with no sleeping bag, underquilt, or even "cold weather clothing" because I was able to tweak the sag to fit my comfort.

Cheers, Stu, for the pointers on the overnighter... made doing the conversion much quicker :)

the difference is huge!, did u get a structural ridgeline? that makes a big difference too... a guy sells them on ebay with the skulls

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Not got the structural ridgeline yet... was debating whether it was worth doing since I have the mosquito net (I.E. can I use both at the same time?)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Not got the structural ridgeline yet... was debating whether it was worth doing since I have the mosquito net (I.E. can I use both at the same time?)

yes, the mossie net hangs ok and the spreader bars work, its just a little closer to your body but still spacious, i will be demonstrating it at the next meet :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've had conformation that the two nighter is good with Orchards,

I was just thinking about the next meeting, seeing that there will be more time, especially on the Saturday, I am thinking about activities that we may want to do, I want to crack one with friction fire lighting, and flint and steel, I should of practised it more over the years, lol...

What other things would other people like to do and have a go at... tarpology is normally a good one for new people to the use of tarps.. and different fire lays and starting, sharps safe use and sharpening,

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I've had conformation that the two nighter is good with Orchards,

I was just thinking about the next meeting, seeing that there will be more time, especially on the Saturday, I am thinking about activities that we may want to do, I want to crack one with friction fire lighting, and flint and steel, I should of practised it more over the years, lol...

What other things would other people like to do and have a go at... tarpology is normally a good one for new people to the use of tarps.. and different fire lays and starting, sharps safe use and sharpening,

I made a new friction board for my fire spindle today (finally wore my last one out lighting tonight's camp fire, even though I'm not camping overnight.... I like a nice fire when out testing gear as it's a great excuse to practise). While it's not strictly necessary in a world of matches, lighters and vaseline-coated cotton balls... lighting a fire with friction is still something all men ought to be able to do!

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I made a new friction board for my fire spindle today (finally wore my last one out lighting tonight's camp fire, even though I'm not camping overnight.... I like a nice fire when out testing gear as it's a great excuse to practise). While it's not strictly necessary in a world of matches, lighters and vaseline-coated cotton balls... lighting a fire with friction is still something all men ought to be able to do!

id like to see that, maybe have a go as ive never tried it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well, you can come see it on my woodland and I'll show you how to make and use one, or wait for the next overnighter on March 1st/2nd where (if I understand Stu correctly) it's "on the syllabus" ;)

Well dont know about having a syllabus.. lol,

Just wondered if there was anything people would like to practice/do/learn/relearn.... ect ect. as we will have a few more hrs to play, I have used a bow drill before as well as a plough method, and the split cane method, but not done it for about 20 years, lol.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well dont know about having a syllabus.. lol,

Just wondered if there was anything people would like to practice/do/learn/relearn.... ect ect. as we will have a few more hrs to play, I have used a bow drill before as well as a plough method, and the split cane method, but not done it for about 20 years, lol.

I think it'd be great to have time for everyone to practise and discuss differing technique (let's face it, everyone has their own preferred way of lighting fires, and their own reasons for those preferences)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
i agree. fun and passing on knwolage. also have a look at bushcraft usa skills/qualifcations. they will help you learn as well. i just been too lazy to do it.. may just start the next weekender. lol

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm going out on my woodland tomorrow to process a fallen tree for firewood. Remember me saying about the branch which hit my tarp last Tuesday? Well, a tree some 30 feet away fell as well.
Anyway, I'll be out there with my hand chainsaw cutting it into a couple of dozen reasonably-sized stumps, then I intend to baton it into flat-edged logs for the fire, make a fire (breaking in my new friction board and spindle) and cook up a couple of steaks (possibly even a squirrel if I happen to slingshot one during the course of the day)

You're welcome to join me if you wish, but be prepared to do some chopping and sawing work if you do! :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi All

Stu I am feeling the need to get out and about I cant next week but ant time after that.

Regards
Rum

Hi mate good to see you on here, I am not going to be able to get out until the 1st and 2nd March weekender, as I am just about to move I am afraid, seen the kids this morning, and seeing the tomorrow morning, then its more packing, lol... next weekend will be moving the garage stuff down the workshop and doing the last of the major packing...

I cant wait till I get out at the weekender..

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi Tony, l Went up to the Norfolk group thisweekend and had a great time. the lads all mentioned meeting you. the Wood was very wet and muddy but a good fire kept us dry. I'm out most Weekends So if you want to meet up let me know.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
OOOPPPPS thought I'd posted these.
Thanks for the invite dudes. Now Roman Soldier has returned from Darkest Norfolk reconaisance some of you others might like to visit (Don't think he saw the six fingered lot :rofl::lmao:)

Wet_zps70ddb503.jpg

80991a6c-6344-42d1-8133-20e4012bc6b8_zps54a026aa.jpg

vwet_zps5affc88a.jpg

b82fdc04-a594-4255-90bd-a3a2b9fef8f2_zps734ec098.jpg

tentnhamms_zps1df6a182.jpg

tentnhamms2_zpse3559260.jpg

tattiesnonions_zps6c09f3a5.jpg

stillwet_zpsbbd83770.jpg

stillvwet_zps02b737f2.jpg

stew_zps29372911.jpg

stew2_zpsc8483cb3.jpg

tatties_zps96eb8af8.jpg

snozzers2_zps31df5962.jpg

rabbit_zps7b3c11ff.jpg

rabbit4_zpsa58de349.jpg

rabbit2_zps16ed9382.jpg

pies_zpsc76d05aa.jpg

LogCabinFirelay_zps349f1e7b.jpg

LogCabinFirelayprep_zpsb3bddfea.jpg

LogCabinFirelaylit_zps0849a20f.jpg

rabbit3_zps306dfff8.jpg

lamp_zps6aad0a32.jpg

kettles_zps0959e0b2.jpg

kettle2_zpsccc52c2c.jpg

kettle2_zpsccc52c2c.jpg

LogCabinFirelay2_zpsac818417.jpg

custard_zps24245e0e.jpg

chopper_zpscc3e3d66.jpg

chopper2_zpsda6122f0.jpg

camp_zps073dd1d1.jpg

Davestent_zps7a550930.jpg

brekkies2_zps1d1508e5.jpg

breakfasttatties_zpsb71850ca.jpg

black_zps2abed3f1.jpg

barrow_zps49b19c3e.jpg

2nds_zpsf4194d96.jpg

brekkies_zps81f49296.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE